Surface Fishing for Carp

Maverick

Site Supporter
Been busy :ROFLMAO:

Shaped a cork pellet, cut groove in and superglued a Korda Mixa hook in. Even drilled a little hole and added a small shot in the side opposite the hook.

Got some biscuits soaking overnight in the fridge.

Made a couple of rigs with cut down brown boilies tied tight as I could to the hook (short hair)

Maverick

Site Supporter
Love it when a plan comes together. Loads of carp off the surface today. A couple on cut down boilies, but the best method was drilling the biscuits and pulling a bait band through them.

Thanks for all the advice guys (y)

Silasfish

Novice here. How would you attach bread as a floating bait and make sure it doesn't sink or detach itself and float away. I had a try at surface fishing yesterday but when using bread coouldnnt get it to work for me.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You'll get a million answers on that. Different breads, hooks, casting methods, floats all can play a part. I've never perfected it myself sometimes it works for me sometimes it doesnt ?

Maverick

Site Supporter
Novice here. How would you attach bread as a floating bait and make sure it doesn't sink or detach itself and float away. I had a try at surface fishing yesterday but when using bread coouldnnt get it to work for me.

Watch this. First half on the pole, second half on the rod

Bazza10

Nash do something called a bread bomb give them a try, never used them personally but they are always sold out in tackle shops so questing they are good

Silver fan 82

There is a gadget called a bread bomb made by Nash. It's essentially a stretchy latex band that you thread onto your line and the feed over the eye of the hook attaching it to the shank of the hook. You then stretch the band open with your fingers and put a big lump of bread into it (imagine a pellet band holding a pellet). I personally don't get on with them but others swear by them. Check them out on YouTube.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There is a gadget called a bread bomb made by Nash. It's essentially a stretchy latex band that you thread onto your line and the feed over the eye of the hook attaching it to the shank of the hook. You then stretch the band open with your fingers and put a big lump of bread into it (imagine a pellet band holding a pellet). I personally don't get on with them but others swear by them. Check them out on YouTube.

That does sound quite clever. When I fish with bread on just about any method it’s a lottery whether it stays on so I don’t do it much. Solely down to my ineptitude though lol

Bazza10

I bought some of the sticky hookable krill floaters and they hook on ok, I go to a lake local to me and always have good results ?? They last a few casts before they drop off and that’s casting them a fair way with a fox bolt bubble

Silver fan 82

That does sound quite clever. When I fish with bread on just about any method it’s a lottery whether it stays on so I don’t do it much. Solely down to my ineptitude though lol
I didn't get on with them but I think it may be a case of using them more to get used to them. I found that more bread ended up on the floor than in the band lol! But that could be down to the type/brand of bread used?
As you say though a great idea.

Silver fan 82

I bought some of the sticky hookable krill floaters and they hook on ok, I go to a lake local to me and always have good results ?? They last a few casts before they drop off and that’s casting them a fair way with a fox bolt bubble
They sound good. I've always found soaking dog biscuits in warm water for about 20 - 30 minutes to be quite good.

Silasfish

I'll check them out, thank you

BarryS

Gone fishing
I love surface fishing for carp...sometimes they want crust..other times biscuit imitations soft crafty floaters or a fly . I use a controller float something like a Korda Interceptor or a Bombarder...somewhere between 15- 25 g. A 5/6 ft hook length and a biggish 8 hook in and out of a bit of crust... Sometimes this crust is 20-30 cms square which is big..but when they are on it it gets slurped down and because of the weight of the controller they mostly self hook. Its a new bit of crust every cast..but hardly a problem. I use a bit of vaseline on the hook length...but leave it off the last 6 inches.
Strangely the rod I love for this type of fishing is a 9ft Shakespeare Ugly Stick Elite...which is a spinning rod really and casts 25-60 g. This rod is as cheap as chips and casts incredibly well. I have had no problems at all playing double-figure carp. I always have it set up and ready to go in case the blighters want crust.

Beanflicker

I find the sight of the Hooks hanging below the dog biscuit below the surface can spook carp before they guzzle down a dog biscuit, over the years I’ve found that a balanced dog biscuit with a touch of tungsten putty or a small shot attached to the bait band opposite side of the hook, flips the hook above the surface and catches 3 times more fish.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It depends on how hard the water is fished. 'Doggies' work well at times, but other times I find a pop-up boilie brings good results.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Been years since I've done it as finding the right water is key. A lot of the time when floating baits are allowed I find the water gets hammered with them and you have to try every trick in the book to fool them when they get wary.

rudd

Site Supporter
method 1: as above and then either hair rig or side hook. I add a bit of flavour to the soak.

method 2: cut a slight groove in the side of a dry mixer then superglue it to the hook.

method 3: use a tight bait band and simply band the dry mixer to the shank.

other points: try 2 mixers together- bigger bait and all that.

try feeding mixers and using a cut down pop up or a piece of cork as hook bait.

different makes/brands of mixers have different ingredients so some soak/float break up better than others. Chum mixers used to be the best, not so now.

other types of floating bait eg 6mm and 11mm floating pellets are available.

floater fishing is really good fun.
Tried and do above, also use the lasso.
Most peoples mistake is to big a hook.
Most carp.anglers cannot see lower han a size 10!
I happily use down to a 16.