Supplex flurocarbon?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Anyone used this for a fine hook link material and found it better than other makes please? Would use it on a small swivel probably.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Rick, Last year I was having a nigtmare with standard Supplex, so much so that I binned it all. Before I did I did try some Supplex in Fluorocarbon. 0.1 I think. To be honest it tied better loops but, it still pig tailed very easily when tying spade hooks. Even after moistioning heavily. I switched to N-guage and have never looked back.

Zerkalo

Tried it in around 5lb and could not get it to knot strongly on spade end hooks. But I had the same problem with Reflo FC. So I put that down to my own misadventure as plenty of people seem to swear by it. I just couldn't get any knot strength out of either and so don't use FC. Bit weird really as other people swear by it.

Freesolo82

Yes I have used the Drennan one and lately the Rive one in lower diameters, fluorocarbon ties OK but you will probably need to get used to using it a few times as it has a way of curling and just not sitting right through friction in the procces.

trotter2

It's better if you tie hooks with it by hand if you use a hook tyier I had problems with it . It curls badly if your not used to it I find. Not great stick with reflo.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It's better if you tie hooks with it by hand if you use a hook tyier I had problems with it . It curls badly if your not used to it I find. Not great stick with reflo.
I do tie by hand trotter. Strange thing is occasionally it would turn out perfect then the next couple of tries it would kink. Ever so slightly but, just enough to annoy you and not give you enough confidence to fish with. One forum member suggested I look at the line through a magnifying glass which I did and to my astonishment I found that the line was oval and not round at all. I put it down to me buying a bad spool but, then again why bother now we have N-guage. Seems a few forum members have had similar experiences with Supplex.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Like a lot of lines, the lighter you go, the harder it is to tie. I use little else for my hook links. However, I have become increasingly aware of the tension I apply when tying. It's also true that I very rarely bother to use it in less than 2.6lb (0.13mm). The lighter variants tend to damage quite easily when subjected to the attentions of toothy trout and the fish in the fast shallow rivers I fish don't tend to have time to be fussy over line strengths and hook sizes. On most days, I suspect that I could fish 6lb straight through and catch just as well. I haven't even bothered to buy a spool of the lightest 0.9lb (0.075mm) version. As well as being way too light for my needs, I can't imagine how difficult it is to tie. If I had the regular requirement for sub 2lb line, I'd undoubtedly be looking at alternatives to any type of fluorocarbon.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Seems a few forum members have had similar experiences with Supplex.
Which are you (and they) talking about, Supplex or Supplex Fluorocarbon? I can't abide standard Supplex, but I love Supplex Fluorocarbon, except the really light end of the spectrum.

trotter2

My conclusions is it does not like any heat and kinks up. You can test this by pinching the line and running it through your fingers generating heat. Most lines will kink up if you do this but fluorcarbon goes like spring.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Which are you (and they) talking about, Supplex or Supplex Fluorocarbon? I can't abide standard Supplex, but I love Supplex Fluorocarbon, except the really light end of the spectrum.
Hi Sam. I started off on the standard Supplex which is where I had most of my problems. Under the microscope the spool of 0.1 I had was oval. The other two spools 0.13 and 0.15 I think were mostly round but oval in random places. The fluorocarbon was much better but, in 0.1 still didn’t hang properly. I must admit to you though I am very OCD when it comes to my rigs and hooklengths. By that time I’d lost all confidence in Supplex and having tried N-guage in the past I decided to go back to that. N-gauge is a lot more predictable. Ties beautifully. Doesn’t kink up after a few fish. A real nice line to use. Maybe I simply dropped on a bad batch but, by the sounds of it quite a few anglers have. ??

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Hi Sam. I started off on the standard Supplex which is where I had most of my problems. Under the microscope the spool of 0.1 I had was oval. The other two spools 0.13 and 0.15 I think were mostly round but oval in random places. The fluorocarbon was much better but, in 0.1 still didn’t hang properly. I must admit to you though I am very OCD when it comes to my rigs and hooklengths. By that time I’d lost all confidence in Supplex and having tried N-guage in the past I decided to go back to that. N-gauge is a lot more predictable. Ties beautifully. Doesn’t kink up after a few fish. A real nice line to use. Maybe I simply dropped on a bad batch but, by the sounds of it quite a few anglers have. ??
I'm not suggesting that you should like either, nor am I trying to change your mind. However, it's only fair to be quite specific. Standard Supplex is a totally different animal to Supplex Fluorocarbon. I can't abide Supplex (for reel line or hooklinks). I do use Supplex Fluorocarbon almost exclusively for hooklinks, with the noted caveat of avoiding the really light stuff.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I'm not suggesting that you should like either, nor am I trying to change your mind. However, it's only fair to be quite specific. Standard Supplex is a totally different animal to Supplex Fluorocarbon. I can't abide Supplex (for reel line or hooklinks). I do use Supplex Fluorocarbon almost exclusively for hooklinks, with the noted caveat of avoiding the really light stuff.
Only my opinion here but, standard Supplex is probably the worst mono I’ve ever bought. I don’t like giving such a strong opinion as I like for other anglers to judge for themselves but, I’m only telling it like it is. It was terrible stuff. Having a lot of available canal on my doorstep you can imagine our hooklengths tend to be of the lighter variety. 0.13 down to 0.08. Especially when punch fishing in winter.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Only my opinion here but, standard Supplex is probably the worst mono I’ve ever bought. I don’t like giving such a strong opinion as I like for other anglers to judge for themselves but, I’m only telling it like it is. It was terrible stuff. Having a lot of available canal on my doorstep you can imagine our hooklengths tend to be of the lighter variety. 0.13 down to 0.08. Especially when punch fishing in winter.
I don't particularly disagree. However, the OP was asking about Supplex Fluorocarbon. Bringing standard Supplex mono into the conversation only muddies the water.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I have used the Supplex flourocarbon and its predecessor for at least 15 years probably more for river hooklengths and feeder hooklengths in Ireland and have no problems with it hand tying hooks and palomar or loop knots at the other end.
Like all flourocarbon lines it is thicker than nylon and requires a bit more care in knotting not because of the thickness but due to the stiffness and reluctance to snug down in a knot.
I had some stuff in the shop called Knot Perfect which is a fly tying product and I use that instead of spit on all my heavier stuff for sea fishing and thar does exactly what the name says.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I don't particularly disagree. However, the OP was asking about Supplex Fluorocarbon. Bringing standard Supplex mono into the conversation only muddies the water.
Have another read of my post #2. I’m talking Fluorocarbon 0.1. Which is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard in my opinion Sam.

trotter2

I have used the Supplex flourocarbon and its predecessor for at least 15 years probably more for river hooklengths and feeder hooklengths in Ireland and have no problems with it hand tying hooks and palomar or loop knots at the other end.
Like all flourocarbon lines it is thicker than nylon and requires a bit more care in knotting not because of the thickness but due to the stiffness and reluctance to snug down in a knot.
I had some stuff in the shop called Knot Perfect which is a fly tying product and I use that instead of spit on all my heavier stuff for sea fishing and thar does exactly what the name says.
That knot perfect was sold by airflo I had some it was very good. But never seen it available for years. Shame as it was brilliant stuff.

fishcatcher4

I also tried the guru fluro in .10dia and it was no better than the drennan so i thought it was just me.

I have no trouble tying mono in that dia though.