Superstition

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Does anyone have any superstitions with regard to their fishing?
Now, obviously I don't believe in any of that nonsense, but I know for a fact that the reason I blanked when I was fishing for carp the other day was because I was wearing the wrong hat. I was wearing the brown hat, which is for bream fishing on a different lake. The carp hat is the old "team Daiwa" baseball cap, but I couldn't find as I was leaving and I was too lazy to look properly. You would think I would know better by now.
I also have a thing about seeing magpies on the way to the venue. If I see 2 at the same time it means I will have a good day (2 for joy), but if I see just one I have to say "magpie,magpie I defy thee" three times. Of course, I don't say it out loud, that would be silly :giggle:
What do you do to ensure a good session?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have a 'lucky' pair of joggers, not so much superstition but does work sometimes. I also always hook a double maggot through topsy turvy ends, it's meant to stop them spinning is the main reason people do it, but a hint of superstition to it to me too.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Yes, i believe the double figure Barbel KNOW i'm using off the shelf rods and won't oblige me, so i'm saving for some customs :D

The Runner

Site Supporter
I also have a thing about seeing magpies on the way to the venue. If I see 2 at the same time it means I will have a good day (2 for joy), but if I see just one I have to say "magpie,magpie I defy thee" three times. Of course, I don't say it out loud, that would be silly :giggle:
What do you do to ensure a good session?
Always thought it was "Good Morning Mr Magpie, and how's your lady wife ?"

Used to always try to be at or near the front of the draw queue, not through any superstition but just that the earlier you draw the more time you have to set up; and especially on bigger matches on natural venues, probably get a better parking spot and more time for a drop off if you and travelling partner drew different areas.

rudd

Site Supporter
Wind from the East, Fishing is least.

An Easterly generally means high pressure and a cold wind.
I live on East coast and can vouch for the saying.

Can also vouch for wrong hat thing.
Suffolk shingle, January, 2am, Northerly to Easterly wind - baseball cap - Your gonna get hypothermia and frost bitten ears 😂

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I have an array of fishing T shirts , if I win/frame in a match wearing a certain one , I’ll wear it for the next match until the run ends, and so on

davepellet

There was a period of time when I used to fish matches I’d always listen to Ian Brown on the CD player on the journey to the venue

Marker50

Site Supporter
One magpie i have to salute him and say."morning my lord"
A ex was paranoid it and even in driving lessons .she would pretend she was
Just moving her hair 😂

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
When night fishing i always let Albert have most of the Bed, or should i say he lets me have whats left.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don't think I do. I can be a bit ocd so probably do little things every time that I don't even think about but they aren't done superstitiously more because it would annoy me if I didn't.