Simon

hi Guys,

is a super maggot the same as a gozzer?

Just wondering, Simon

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Simon,
Welcome aboard and you deserve a reply, but sorry!
I know gozzers, but never heard of a super maggot (All the ones that get fish are Super in my book)

cya round
Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev, Super maggot is the one with his pants outside his trousers, fish don't suck him in, he punches their lights out and throws them on the bank.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

martin.

Account Locked
geoff
we dont all want to know what you do when your on your own fishing

tight lines.
martin.

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Ahh super maggots, you wanna try wasp grub next summer. They look like a super maggot and bril for chub.

Dave.
dave@tjsangling.co.uk
www.tjsangling.co.uk

Nige

Am I right in thinking that Gozzers are maggies fed on a milk and bread mixture ?

Nige, Wishin I was Fishin

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi all,

Gozzers are the larvae of the Blue Bottle and are initially started on chicken and then removed and fed a mixture of bread and milk to obtain their soft, creamy texture. They tend to be about one and a half times larger than the common maggot but aren't widely available.

The super maggot I believe is a specially bred maggot that is supposed to be around twice the size of the normal one, but again I don't think that they are that readily available.
Some time back, here in Leeds, a tackle shop was selling them and you bought them for 50p per couple of dozen as a hookbait only.

Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Are they really maggots or could they be meal worms? Somewhat similar looking except for the much larger size of the mealworm.

Used often in the US as a hookbait for sunfish and such. Should be able to get them cheap at any store selling pet foods.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
No Newt, I found later on another forum that the SupaMaggot "sp" is actually undergoing clarification by the European Commission at the moment, to see whether it can be legally offered for supply!
Seems some guy has come up with a bigger, more improved maggot lol.
As to Gozzer Dave, I was always under the impression that it was not a Bluebottle, (where the common for sale maggot comes from) but a ground feeding fly, which is why the chicken (or years ago,liver or even more commonly heart) was left in a tin lid, on a garage or shed floor,with the inverted tin above it.
For ref, consult Ivan Marks 1st book, he has a whole chapter devoted to gozzer production.

Cheers
Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ooh err urmm.... I stand corrected Trev

Just go to proove that I'm not right all the time, 99.99999999999999999999% of the time maybe

Regards, Dave

S

Simon

Thanks everyone for the help

Ferret I used wasp grub a few times last year and had some cracking chub on it the only thing is I was given the grub and cake as there is no way I would collect it myself :)

Simon

Zinky

Grumpy
Newt,
This is the orginal article written by my self for www.anglingnews.net

Sorry Doc but this had to come out.
Although sworn to secrecy on this I have no option to advise yourself on latest developments which even I am finding hard to believe and MUST in the near future become common knowledge to anyone in fishing or indeed the insect world.

An acquaintance of a ours (I'll refer to him as Doc) works for a food and drugs related company and in the course of his works has access to most of the companies inventory of powders and potions (this includes topical and non-topical lotions etcetera). Doc also has a penchant for piscine activities and in the pursuit of self sufficiency breeds his own bait in what can only be described as an insectarium to rival the best of the pharm industries clean room facilities - such is his efficient way.
From the onset of Doc's career in bait breeding he has held a fascination with the ability to custom manufacture the resultant output product and many a night. Doc has been able to put to sleep the most caffeine laden female with the offer of coming home to see his splendidly pink Calliphora Vomitoria. So, the scene is set, here we have Doc with access to chemicals and direct influence upon bait breeding stock.
If re recall about 8 months Doc came round for a chat and brew told me what he was up to and we had a chat on the phone after he had gone.
Well the other night Doc came round for a brew and chat but this time instead of the normal coffee white no sugar he took it black. Double black in fact and double sugar. He looked like a nomad, dishevelled and wide eyed from very little sleep.
Tels me he has got his Phd. etc You know what he is like anyway getting to the point it turns out that he'd been preparing for the coarse season, but instead of being satisfied with normal run of the mill whities or pinkies, he'd tried for the super dooper glow in the dark wigglers that are the stuff of anglers dreams. Alas, no joy on the luminous front, but stupendous results on the multi-coloured Koi-carp-like speckling.

Andy I HAVE SEEN THESE MAGGOTS!!!!!!
They look like those grubs that the Aborigines eat out of tree stumps but the colouring is just like you see on Koi Carp, kind of speckled "browny" and "orangey", they're about twenty to twenty five mm long but the claw is still pretty small for some reason. The only problem he's had so far is reproducing consistently the colouring between batches.
Doc tells me that whilst the larva are quite large and the pupae pretty mushy they never develop into the fly stage (so far) although he does have about 20-ish different "incubation areas". Pupae seem to be a mix of floaters and sinks, a mixture of both in the same batch.
On the techno front, Doc has imparted the following "secrets" although I very much doubt whether this is even one tenth of the information needed to get your own results:
maggots currently undergoing test:

BlueBottle - Calliphora Vomitoria
American seedcorn maggot-Hylemya platura
Feeds:
potatoes
acridine
acriflavine
(Andy, I don't know anything at all about these compounds the Doc is using so I was hoping you could ask you mate Bruno Broughton exactly what it is these chemicals do. Just a thought - would the maggots be harmful to humans if handled or warmed in mouth like the old dying stuff Crisdine??)

Doc also gave me the following in "newsletter" format just for info on seedcorn maggot. Doc also tells me that whilst the flies do not exhibit any abnormal growth patterns, the feeding of the fly and the feeding of the maggots in different combinations has had far ranging effects in that to feed both parent and offspring produces a much reduced size as opposed to just feeding the maggot:

DESCRIPTION
Adult - This gray, black-legged fly has scattered bristles on its body and is approximately 5 mm long.
Egg - Each white, elongate egg has a rough surface and is about 1 mm in length.
Larva - This 12-segmented, white to yellow maggot is 5 to 7 mm long when mature. It is legless and tough skinned with a sharply pointed head and a rounded tail. (Note in Docs's case the larva is 13~14 segments long and has two fold growth pattern i.e. ends up about 2.5cm long)
Pupa - The last larval skin hardens to form a puparium (about 5 mm long (AGAIN Doc's exhibits larger pupae) in which the pupa develops. The ivory puparium gradually turns reddish-brown (In Doc's case the colour develops a little further across the spectrum to a kind of reddish-brown with fluorsecent tinge - such as one would occasionally see on bacon flesh) as the pupa matures.

What Doc was wondering can you have a word with your mate Norman Booth (Normans of Woodley) and your contacts in the Angling World to see if its got any commercial prospects or will it go the same way as the other baits i.e. get banned after the soft arsed match angles complain its unfair that they cant get access to the bait

Cheers Chris and Alan and Dragonbat Angling

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Dragonbat - sound like a great prequel to a novel. Title could maybe be "The Maggots That Ate London" or something.

If you planned to release to the US market, you would need to call them Spikes though - rather than maggots. The bait shops over here that do sell maggots (it is a regional thing and some places do, others don't) sell them as "spikes" since labeling the containers as maggots would probably mean no one would take them.

I must confess I've never even seen them for sale and have never collected them for use as fish bait myself. The normal ones are just too tiny for any hooks I own.

The only way they are ever used in my part of the country is as an automatic pre-baiting thing. You take a tin can, punch holes in the bottom, fill part way with meat, cover the top with large-mesh screen, and hang the thing from a tree limb that overhangs the water. Just have to add a bit of fresh meat from time to time. I can say it certainly does hold fish in an area for you.

Newt Vail

Zinky

Grumpy
Newt if the Doc sorts this one out it will take the angling world by storm a true supa-maggot "Fished on the right day and with the right conditions" a fantastic bait

scoobs11

the supa maggots as i remember all had to be destroyed as they were the maggot of the african flesh eating fly and as such they are on the banned list right below that bloody beetle that eats potatoes.

i think you will agree its bad enough having flies vomitting on your food
and eating it without having them eating us !!!!!!!!!!!

drown maggots not kids

Zinky

Grumpy
All British fly stock this one no imports here
The true GB Supa-maggot lets hope the Doc cracks it, Then the team can retire with loads of cash ?????????

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
I expect as a tackle Tart, I'll try it, but I never had much success with mealworms, which look like a very big maggot and it may turn out like Ultrabite!
One thing I am sure of, the Price will be rip-off at the start, so the Dealers will be laughing!

Now wasp grubs!!! theres a different kettle of Chub all together!

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Status
Not open for further replies.