Sunglasses

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Broached on the subject last year but still having occasional problem, especially now the sun ( when it puts it hat on) is low in the sky. I don't need specs normally for float fishing , can see a dotted down float very well in the right light conditions, the problem is I find it hard to pick out the float when their is a reflection on the water , sometimes have to resort to a jigger, feeder fishing is not as productive as float fishing on my local ponds. Ive tried different coloured lenses, and polarised lenses , albeit inexpensive ones, didn't want to fork out for a decent pair before doing a bit of elimination by trial and error . Any recommendations appreciated

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I wear specs, always have done. I also suffer with reflective glare. I always wear a sun visor which helps. (I don't really like wearing a cap.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Might seem like a daft notion but have you tried fishing with black tipped floats

Not a daft notion Brian, Ive tried all the usual suspects, what aggravates the problem is where I fish theres an Island with trees and this time of year there is every colour under the sun being reflected on the water, I swap and change pole rigs as much as possible

spark1

Not a daft notion Brian, Ive tried all the usual suspects, what aggravates the problem is where I fish theres an Island with trees and this time of year there is every colour under the sun being reflected on the water, I swap and change pole rigs as much as possible
I think everyone struggles to see the float when the water as every colour under the sun being reflected on it. The only real answer is to fish an area where the water is either dark or silver so you can use a tip you can see.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Not sure if they will help, as some have said its a funny time of the year light wise, but in terms of specs, I have a pair of knight and hale (brown lense) which work well, some also say that optilab specs are the best there are. Expensive, so research well across the range to see what may be best or if they can help with the glare you describe.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I use a pair of Serrengetti polarised glasses with a brown lense and they cover most situations but I have started carrying a pair of glasses with a blue lense as in certain light conditions (generally low light) these work very well, I would recommend having a look in your local TK Maxx for sunglasses they often have some very good sunglasses mixed in with the fashion brands and for not a lot of cash, I have picked up polarised Carrera's, Zeroh+ and Serrengetti all for less than £30 a pair