Sunday Match 1/12/19

Matchstickman

I’m going to fish a match on the local club lakes my new membership starts Sunday the day of the match.
How would you approach a new water? It’s predominantly Carp with some silvers 4-6ft deep weights have been 30lbs to win

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
How big is the water? Any islands/features and if so how far away ? Do you know how the regulars that do well usually fish it in matches ?

Matchstickman

How big is the water? Any islands/features and if so how far away ? Do you know how the regulars that do well usually fish it in matches ?
Hi Mark
The lake is a 27 peg about 4acres
No island’s 4-6ft deep I think Most fish a feeder however three fish a pole. The weights in top three are 30lbs plus
I’ve managed to find out that much, now do I go maggot feeder or pellet feeder and wafter,or pellets
I have a pole which I have used twice pleasure fishing had 30lbs first session and 20lbs the second.
it’s a new lake new club and it’s December?

what would you do?
Thanks mate

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
what would you do? Thanks mate [/QUOTE said:
I'd do what i'm comfortable doing and try to enjoy the match. Hopefully catch a few fish to do well but most of all enjoy the day and learn more about the venue. Thats what i'd suggest for you - but as a standardish outline - and this is only what i'd prob do...

If its a commercial type fishery i'd fish a pole with a soft 2 to 4mm expander on the hook, feeding just a small amount of micros via a pole pot. Maybe try sweetcorn / corn skin /red maggot on the hook if expander doesnt seem to work. See what happens and take it from there, fishing as tight an area as possible. If no response, i'd try another area of the peg as fish maybe somewhere but not willing to move too much in the colder weather. Feeding not much at all.

I'd keep an eye on others, noting what they're doing and maybe follow suit a bit if they're catching and i'm not.

I'd prob set up a small method/hybrid feeder too with a few micros mixed with a little bit of stickyish groundbait to help lightly bind and provide a bit of extra attraction in case any skimmers are about. Pink 6mm wafter in coloured water, yellow or white if clear. Be prepared to leave it in and wait for bites ... and for the fish to be on .. dont strike at small indications.

Could suggest all sorts of things but depends on conditions etc etc. Just do what you're most confident doing / enjoy and cut down that feed and enjoy it.

All the best with it.