Suncream Question!

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
My wife and son are going on holiday on a beach holiday in the Caribbean in January.

Son has asked me how much suncream (Factor 30) they should each take with them, given that it's heavy stuff on the flight
He's thinking maybe 4 x 200ml bottles each?

Can any of you sunworshippers help, please?

I'm not going, I don't like heat and I don't like lounging around in the sun. And the thought of 11 hours each way sitting in a metal tube - it would drive me nuts.
I'll have to survive on cafe breakfasts and takeaway teas, it's going to be terrible.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
When me and our Gert went we took 2 x 200ml and had enough and we spent a lot of time on deck of the cruise ship. Mind you ive got skin of Rhino as Gert says, everyones Different mate.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'd use the space in the case for something else and buy the suncream when I got there.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
The same suncream is nearly 5 times the price over there.
Having said that, you're right, compared to the flight and hotel costs ...
Mine is not to question why.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Buy/use Panama Jack spray, factor 30 or stronger, available online. It's a dry spray meaning it dries quickly on the skin, and is non sticky or greasy. Waterproof and long lasting, I can't praise it enough. I've got typical Irish easily burned skin, and wished I'd had/used this 40 years ago.
don't even think about buying the cheapo cream stuff.

dezzatheblue

Can they order it online to be sent to where they are staying
I've done this for my boss when they have gone to the states.

Dusty

Normally only take 2 bottles between me and our lass, factor 30 for the first day then factor 5 for the rest of the week.
We’ve had the same bottles for years and they never seem to go down.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
I've red that sunscreen has a limited "shelf life" and becomes less effective after a certain period. I always dump stuff more than a year old.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
On my Florida fishing holidays I generally just take one bottle of something for me face then buy a couple of the spray cans of the water proof stuff when I get over there to douse the rest of me in.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally if you know its going to be hot and sunny with a risk of burning, Id use P20 or even P50 if you're prone to burning. It cant be beaten in my.opinion

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Find a nice shady air conditioned bar and stay there.

Simples! :)

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I'll no doubt be finding a nice pub for the duration of the holiday, but I'm stopping at home. ;)

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! (y)

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Tell them not to seek shade under a coconut palm. It is very tempting to do so, but the locals leave those areas empty for good reason.
If you are on a beach for any length of time you are bound to hear the odd "Thud" of a coconut crashing down, and you wouldn't want to be under it !

AdeB

Site Supporter
We always take two each and don't use all of it. As long as the cream/lotion you buy has a 5 star UVB protection, the factor rating is for UVA, you don't have to spend mega money.