Summat Different

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well then, todays original idea was to go back down the canal and sit on the same peg as I did on tuesday

but after discussion with a Small Black Dog about how the temprature had dropped, he decided that we would head towards the Briney

half hours sorting, found us a rod, reel and a bag full of lures and spinners, a small ancient second world war haversack to load the gear, the thirsty and small bowl in and we were off

another half hour saw the pair of us on the cliff above the warren and a wander down to the seashore, setting up on the concrete apron,

tide was just hitting high as the first ABU Krill went whistling over the waves, causing an unexplained barking period from my little mate, the lure hitting the water around 50 yards out and fished high up, sink and draw back in,

nothing on the first chuck,

out again, slightly further this time, way past the breaking waves into the settled water, let it sink a bit then back in again, nowt again,

third chuck was better, splashing down and letting it hit bottom then back in, just lifting it on the pull of the sink and draw, a pluck was felt, followed by the rod bending into a fish, proper arching over, the fight commenced, hither and thither went the line cutting through the waves for a good couple minutes, rod feeling alive in my hands till eventually lifting a small mackarel from its waterey home,

tuppence was elated with the fish that fell off the small treble as it was laid on the concrete, chasing it around as it jumped and arched its body all over the shop, eventually ending up in the still sharp teeth of the happy terrier

could see in his eyes, nuvver one, catches us another one, !

out it goes again and again, within an hour, three of the hard fighting quarry had been tapped on the head and were nestling in the tesco bag for life, made me chuckle that as they were obviously dead

that was enough, even though he wanted more,

time for gutting, there was plenty here for both his and my tea,

back along the beach, then up the hill and home,

filleted, and under the grill,

tasty tasty very very tasty

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
must admit Im a lucky old soul Mark

within a 30 minute drive, Ive got everything from a chalk stream, a decent sized river, a canal, estate lakes, gravel pits and reservoirs, commercials, ornamental and farm ponds, dykes and land drains and all forms of saltwater angling

spoilt for choice really