Suitable Reel

geofflukins

I’ve just bought the Drennan Acolyte 9ft feeder rod and I’m looking for a suitable light but strong reel to match it. My budget is no more than £100. I very rarely get into the realms of large carp into double figures and most of my fishing is for F1s to 6lbs with the occasional ghostie and hard fighting mirror. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I use a baby baitrunner - on my Puddlechucker - one of these

In 2500 size only £52

Simon

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You could match it with the drennan 7 series feeder reel or alternatively could go for a shimano Catana.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have 2 Shimano Sahara's and they're a great reel. Not a baitrunner but does have fighting drag. But for what you describe. I'd go with the baby baitrunner. From the link provided by @Simon R, scroll down to choose the size you want.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Any 2500 baby baitrunner would work... Daiwa Regal, Okuma, Shimano... all good, I have the Daiwa Regal 2500... nice little reel think I paid about £35 a couple of years ago... if you don't want a baitrunner the Nash BP4 worked well right up till a carp snatched the rod /reel off the rest at Docklow...

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I would buy the cresta advantor from benwick sports, the 5000 series would be spot on, cause they’re quite a small size reel,

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Korum do a nice mini baitrunner. The KMR (Korum Method Runner). I’ve got a couple and I really like them.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Well, funny you should ask this! At the moment I have an on going project of putting together one rod two reels and basic essentials to roam some very small rivers/streams around here in North Yorkshire. Being a 'setting my large stall out' once Match Angler I need a lighter distraction for those days I feel my age.
Korum Shadow 2500 mini baitrunner. Never been a baitrunner fan but was chosen as insurance for this project. As an out and out Daiwa TDM (all models & sizes) man I was apprehensive in veering away but did not want to spend a lot on something that would not be used that often. As i cannot comment on usage yet my initial thoughts are for £35 + £15 for spare spool ( YES I KNOW:rolleyes:) it has passed all my initial expectations. Compact, smooth, well made, good line lay and good looking.Materials are top notch and fits well with the rod I have for this project. So, as far as the reel recommendation for an Acolyte 9ft it would suit it to a tee. Small enough, light enough, the insurance of a bait runner for those grabbing lumps when needed. I am impressed. If you are wondering one rod two reels, the other reel going to be used on the one rod is a Match Aerial ;) More to follow !!

Last edited:

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
MAP ACS 4000 FS - awesome auto line clip feature when a big fish screams off, saves trying to fiddle about unclipping yourself before you're snapped off. Also comes with deep and shallow spools. Not too heavy either, i use it with a 10' Daiwa method rod and feels nice and balanced.
Also comes in a 3000 but no baitrunner feature with that one.

Korum Axis reels are also very good, i forget if i have the 3000 or 4000 but it's great for the price, no baitrunner feature though.

david white

Site Supporter
Cadence cs10 4000 this is a high spec reel but is quite small so would be ideal for what you want.

Agree with the above if you don’t want to spend the very reasonable £90 on the above ( and can’t get to a Cadence ‘ open day/evening for a 20% discount ) then I can vouch for the lesser priced cs5 4000 reels ( not baitrunners though )

nejohn

Site Supporter
Another vote for a Diawa TDM... brilliant reel, very good at the £150 RRP but you can get one for about £80, plus you get the Daiwa reliability and 1st class after sales service if you ever need it

Kirtons

Site Supporter
Can’t fault daiwa reels at any price point...I will however suggested the spro red arc a reel I was recommended on here it’s fantastic for the money

spark1

Drennan FD 3000 are decent compact reels. I use 3 of them for all my fishing including bagging up on commercials and they do the job. I’ve got the 4000 version but prefer the 3000.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The soon to be discontinued TDM in 3012 size with double handle would be a top choice now as the prices will drop shortly, if you prefer a smaller reel the 2508 version but I think they are more of a float sized reel myself.
If you dont like a double handle you can also get a single handle.
I think the Drennan FD range have finished now as well as they are not on the latest price list I have.