suffix advance

old bill

Hi folks Has anyone on this forum had any experience of using this line for feeder fishing for bream ? It is supposed to be low stretch and has a low diameter for its stated breaking strain . I wondered if it would be a better choice than braid for feeder fishing ? Thanks in advance Bill

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Hi Bill

i have used it a few times, it is all of the above, but for me it wasn’t robust enough though . reminded me of a mix of Mono and Fluro, Suffix make some good lines though ,

richox12

Better than braid in what way ? If it's nylon I cannot imagine it having the same or even close minimal stretch.

grey

Site Supporter
I've used it the 6lb lure and it's a great line!

It's a co-polymer not dissimilar to N-Guage in feel and thickness. It is low stretch - not in the same league as braid, but much less than normal mono. It sinks well (again better than mono), knots really well, is really soft and is supposedly abrasion resistant (didn't fish it near rough beds so I can't vouch for this claim).

For feeder, it would probably need a leader - for bream I'd consider 4lb to an 8lb maxima leader for distance fishing (60 yards plus), any less distance and you might as well use 5lb or 6lb maxima straight through as you won't notice the main low-stretch benefit.

Its downside is really as the same with all copolymer mainlines, they don't last! Probably need renewing by the end of the year.

richox12

That does sound very interesting. When you say much less stretch than mono I assume you mean nylon. By comparison to the normal 25%/30% of nylon what sort of stretch would you say the Advance has - at a guess ? If braid is 0 - 2% and 'normal' nylon 25%/30% would you say the advance is in the middle at about 15% or even less %

Why would it need a leader ? Because you'd opt for a thin mainline ?

Maverick

Site Supporter
Rikki Richards (Match Fishing Masterclass on youtube) did a review of the Preston 13' distance master. He was using 0.20 (10lb) Suffix Advance and chucked a 45g method feeder 100mtrs without a shockleader.

Proof if needed that its not a bad line. I bought some myself. I'm sure I also read somewhere that it had won an award for a best newcomer line or sumut.

old bill

Thanks for the feedback gents will order some and let you know how i get on ( weather permitting ) Bill

old bill

PS Have just bought a Browning black viper MK 850 fd got .12 matrix braid on one spool will try the Suffix Advance on the other spool for when carp come into the equation Bill

grey

Site Supporter
That does sound very interesting. When you say much less stretch than mono I assume you mean nylon. By comparison to the normal 25%/30% of nylon what sort of stretch would you say the Advance has - at a guess ? If braid is 0 - 2% and 'normal' nylon 25%/30% would you say the advance is in the middle at about 15% or even less %

Why would it need a leader ? Because you'd opt for a thin mainline ?
I consider nylon with 25% a very stretchy line, probably the stretchiest of lines practical for coarse use.

I would hazard a guess Sufix Advanced is less than 15%, more like 10%. Difficult to compare as although the Sufix does stretch, it doesn't tend to start stretching until nearer it's breaking point compared to a normal nylon mono, making it appear even less stretchy under low load. At least, that's what I've noticed with it on the lure.

Because the Sufix has low stretch, there are a few things you can do to get best benefit out the line:
• you can fish it lighter at distance without the bite indication being numbed down.
• thinner line means further distance - much further.
• thinner line also cuts through surface tension easier, so it settles quicker.

The downside of fishing light mainline is you'll need a shock leader. You could tie a 5yrds of thicker Sufix Advace on the end, but because of its lack of stretch, it also lack shock absorption necessary on the cast: I guess you'd need 12lb leader to achieve the same shock absorbing qualities as an 8lb maxima leader- so you might as well use cheaper maxima as it's thinner and probably handle the abuse better in the long run (?).

As I said, you won't see any benefit from a medium chuck, and you might as well spool up with 5 or 6lb maxima straight through - but if you're going for a long chuck for bream, there are definitely benefits to be had from using a mainline like Sufix Advance.