Suddenly it was gone.!!!

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Had one go in fishing bomb and pellet at Packington. Picked my other rod up, casting around for 10 minutes. Boom. Got it back plus the 3lb Carp that had the pellet. Went out and got Gripper rests on the Monday. Been fine since. 🙂

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Seen and heard of others having that problem but never me !
All my rods have bait runners or fighting drags if I have to put them in rests. Float rods have pins or I don't put them down.

Paul.P

All these stories about rods being ripped off the rests just add to the belief that clutches should be left loose, you don't get chance to flip the backwind switch off, & thats why i ain't bothered that the new shimano's don't have them, even with the daiwa's & preston reels i now play fish on the clutch. Having had my rod dragged off the rests at a couple of venues i now use one of the preston back rests with the rubber teeth that hold the rod firm, not had a problem since although had some real rod pullers.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
The guru reaper rear rest is very good at preventing. When I reviewed it I did a video with my rod in it and I started hitting my rod but from below and it took a lot of force to get it out. I bought it after I luckily caught a rod with my landing net after it flew in.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
All these stories about rods being ripped off the rests just add to the belief that clutches should be left loose, you don't get chance to flip the backwind switch off, & thats why i ain't bothered that the new shimano's don't have them, even with the daiwa's & preston reels i now play fish on the clutch. Having had my rod dragged off the rests at a couple of venues i now use one of the preston back rests with the rubber teeth that hold the rod firm, not had a problem since although had some real rod pullers.
I've not lost a rod completely to the water to date, as I usually manage to react quickly enough to stop it getting that far in. I've found the Preston butt grips a big help too! For a lot of my feeder work I use (Eek) Guru's Reaper kit for front and back. That and baitrunners on method feeder tactics pretty much takes care of every big take, but not sadly stopping me from spilling my coffee!

Fred Davis

fished a club match at Lake John in the winter and was not at my best having had some treatment and should really have stayed indoors, however had an 11/13ft daiwa rod with baitrunner reel ripped off of the rests as I was leaning back behind my box to sort out the pole rig, just missed the butt with my hand while the rod floated on top for a while near the island and it was hammering down with rain Colin the fishery owner after much persuision by me went out in the boat to get the rod however as soon as he rounded the corner of the island the fish still attached bolted and the rod dissappeared into the murky depths never to be seen again, never happened since lesson learn't

stikflote

Site Supporter
Never had a rod pulled in but twice had my top 4 pulled in
one was only a couple weeks ago, lucky my mate just chucked his feeder out and got it back
his casting skills are unbelievable

Paul.P

Never had a rod pulled in but twice had my top 4 pulled in
one was only a couple weeks ago, lucky my mate just chucked his feeder out and got it back
his casting skills are unbelievable
I was fishing a small carp lake in the margins on a wet day, & i had a carp take me & literally pull the top kit out of my hand. Fortunately i use the maver easy flow bung which sealed the top kit so it just kept going around the lake until one of the lads hooked it with his bomb rod. Cheeky sod even put the fish in his net, but i wasn't bothered, i got my top kit back. I'm quite convinced if i hadn't had that bung up the arse end i'd of lost that top kit.

Griffo

Site Supporter
No but rest or grip would have stopped me loosing £250 worth of rod and a real last year, pellet waggler fishing about 15mtrs out for f1 about 12” deep, routine was cati two pouches of pellets then cast into them, hook a duck time, problem was I was getting carried away they were coming that quickly so rod on mi lap cati in hand float and pellet in the water at my feet, big wobbly munter took it right under my feet just as cati pulled back and ready to go.

pure stupidity getting carried away no excuse, the routine was put on new pellet hook it in on bait box cati out cast fish repeat, but no, change pellet Chuck it down cati cast. Bloody simple really, expensive embarrassing lesson. ☹️

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
No anti reverse switch will make getting rods into ready rod cases a chore!

Simon R

Site Supporter
Only had my rod go in once - at Rising Sun in North Yorkshire.

I left my waggler rod fishing itself whilst I packed my pole away - I turned my back for a minute, heard a noise and watched with horror as my rod was dragged off my box and into the water - I made a dive for it but it flew across the water like an Exocet. Fortunately it remained afloat and after about a minute stopped moving - the carp responsible for its early bath evidently either busting my hook-length or slipping the hook.
I had a tip rod set up, so trotted round to the opposite bank cast across the rod and pulled it in. The hook-length had indeed parted
I do now know that Acolyte carp waggler rods float perfectly horizontally - and not, as I remember from years ago, with just the handle standing proud of the water like a drunken Excalibur

One of the lads fishing one of our matches on the Tees a few years ago lost a rod to a swan
He'd wound in, left the rod on it's rest and gone to speak to Terry on the next peg. Heard a splash and somehow one of the pair of resident swans had got tangled in his rod and was busily towing it across river heading for the barrage. It disappeared towards the Thornaby bank, returning a few minutes later rodless. He never did get it back.

Seen a few pole sections go in - often three or four joined sections that have been left on rollers and a sudden gust of wind has propelled them into the water. One of our club members waded out into chest high water to retrieve his at Brafferton - it was actually remarkable just how far it had travelled underwater.

Seen loads of top-kits go in - was a regular feature during fish-ins at Blyton a lot of years ago
I retrieved one when the fish that had pulled it off the end of the pole swam the full-length of the pond before getting tangled up in my rig

Datafile7.jpg

We had a right carry-on sorting the resulting mess out

Simon

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
I'm thinking of attaching a 'keeper' type ring to the bottom of the cork handle and then attaching some para cord with a clip and fasten it to the leg of my box or an anchor peg in the ground.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I was fishing with my brother many years ago standard waggler on one rod and a ledgered meatball pn another. This was a mix silvers small up to 5 Lb carp lake that was on a farmers land. They wren't called commercials back then just lakes, :D

Needless to say it was one of those days where no one on e bank was catching, after a couple of hours, call of nature dictated a trip to the portaloo. Told my brother to watch my rods till I returned. Getting back to the peg I saw my brother standing next to the float rod that I had reeled in, looking out towards the lake, where my ledger rod was being towed around by a carp. Only one thing for it borrow the Indian canoe and use the single paddle to retrieve the rod.

Managed to get alongside the still floating rod, picked it up and it was locked solid on what I thought was a snag, that is until the snag started to move off towing the canoe sideways ! I tried everything lifting the rod high, whilst trying to paddle in reverse to try to tire the carp, nothing doing still being dragged around albeit a bit slower.

The Farmer that owned the lake came down, cos he thought he had an Anti angling protest going on. :ROFLMAO:The farmer reckoned that someone had put one of the specimen carp from the neighbouring lake into the match lake.

My arm was aching holding the rod and with the line singing in the eyes I don't know if I was more relieved that the line snapped or gutted to have lost a monster (to me then) carp. :D

Paddling back to the bank all I could see was my brother roaring with laughter, the git, :mad::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: