Suddenly it was gone.!!!

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
How many people have lost their rods or nearly lost their rods when fishing? I know two friends who lost the lot and have seen other anglers lose the rod when a large fish took it . Almost happened to me last season when I was feeder fishing ...not using a baitrunner. However, I had my hand near my feeder rod as I normally do apart from the one time I leaned over to get something from my tackle box......I just caught the rod before it went in... it happened so fast.. I saw one guy last year strip to his undies and went in to try and get his rod...but he never found it.

Ok a baitrunner or a slack clutch would solve it. I saw some guy in the USA created a foam sleeve that clamped above the rod handle to make sure a rod and reel floated..........I suppose we could always attach a ballcock to the rod on a bit of string..........but it does make you think how much money could disappear in a split second.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Only ever lost one and not even mine. Turns out a filleting glove does not grip braid very well when there’s about a two pound fish on the end so up and over the side of the boat everything went. Have had a few near misses with sea fishing tbh but never come close to losing one coarse fishing that I can recall.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Lost a rod and reel combo on the match pool at Docklow 4 years ago... a non baitrunner and the fish just whipped it off the rests... cost me a oner to buy another feeder rod and reel... deffo not happy... and deffo don't take me eye of it now

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've seen it happen to other people. One angler at Kingsnordley fishery on California pool. He left a rod in and went stalking fish in a corner. Then his rod went in and he started moaning he thought he'd left his baitrunner on. Stripped to his boxers and waded in to get the rod, but didn't land the fish.

It has kind of happened to me, a top 4 sections of a pole on the massive Geary's Level lake at Packington. I left it along the bank and stupidly must have left a grain of corn on the hook that fell into the margin. Needless to say a Carp took it and it shot off into the middle of the lake. I was only young and very gutted as I cast a bomb about in vain trying to recover it from the vast expanse of water.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I’ve never lost a rod, if I’m not using a bait runner then I’ve always got the rod on the rest and in my lap and within easy reach. I wouldn’t want to lose expensive tackle, and I wouldn’t want a fish to be dragging it around, potentially tethered to snag and dying.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’ve had some rip snorting pulls while fishing the method at Bankend fishery but, not lost any gear ….. yet. 😳. I use a little shimmy baitrunner now namely just for that venue as the fish in Bankend are mental. The little baitrunner buys you a little time. Better than losing a rod. 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t to lose expensive tackle, and I wouldn’t want a fish to be dragging it around, potentially tethered to snag and dying.
Yeah that was the problem with the one I lost. Cost me about $100 and that Spanish mackerel would have been pinned to the bottom so probably eaten within the hour. Better than it starving I guess which would happen to most tethered fish I’d have thought.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You wouldn't do mate.....You need to face the water to do the above....:oops:......Ask our Mick....(y)

Mark ……. Rule 9821 …. Thal shall not litter either of the two club ponds with lost rods and reels. Said rod and reel then becomes the property of the club. Namely Peter. Especially if the end tackle has a well tied salvageable B911 attached. 🤣🤣

Total

Site Supporter
Mark ……. Rule 9821 …. Thal shall not litter either of the two club ponds with lost rods and reels. Said rod and reel then becomes the property of the club. Namely Peter. Especially if the end tackle has a well tied salvageable B911 attached. 🤣🤣
It's gonna take Mr Morton 6 to 10 seasons to get used to all the rules at Pete's gaff....:D

Dropon

I had a stroke of luck a few months ago,idea was to fish pellet waggler .I decided to set up a bomb and pellet rod, thinking was might get a few on bomb before getting fish up in water.Fired out a few 8 mm pellets, cast bomb in ,picked up catty and within a few seconds rod flies in, fortunately it floated about 4 ft from bank, scooped the landing under the reel and got rod back, 2lb F1 still on . All over in less than a minute from starting to fish. Next thought get to lottery shop quick.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It's gonna take Mr Morton 6 to 10 seasons to get used to all the rules at Pete's gaff....:D

Has anyone told Peter about the exam you have to take ? I enquired about a book in 2017, I was showed around the ponds then given the rules to study knowing that my an exam was eminent. Sorry to say Mark, I’ve failed the entrance exam 31 times. I mean …. One of the questions was ….. What are the ingredients to brown sauce ? I mean, who knows that ? 🙄🤣🤣

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
By that thime Pete would have added at least a hundred more to learn.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I haven’t but have fished next to an angler who did.

I was feeder fishing for bream and he was bivvied up for carp using a baitrunner & all the toys but the line must have snagged up on the bail arm or something because the second his alarm went off the rod tore through it and disappeared into a very deep gravel pit before the poor bloke had left his bed chair.

He was not pleased, not pleased at all.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Lost feeder rod at beccles quay due to duck hitting line. Recovered by a pike angler as it went upstream (tide coming in)
Had a rod ripped out of lap by a carp as I used catty when floater fishing.
Swam out, recovered rod and played carp whilst doggy paddling back to bank. Stupid really as no one else about.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Lost feeder rod at beccles quay due to duck hitting line. Recovered by a pike angler as it went upstream (tide coming in)
That happened to my grandad on the severn last year. Thankfully was pretty shallow down the edge so managed to find it and get it out.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I lost a Stradic reel and Tri-cast rod in Loco at lindholme.
Clutch was set very slack ( I assume line was trapped )
Catty'd out some 4mm boom rod pulled off my knee ( trapped by elbow )
Missed it by inches with my landing net - never to be seen again (by me).