Successful pole bung removal.

Churchill3215

Just wanted to share some tips on removing a stuck bung. Recently picked up an old but looked after 14.5 map carptek commercial power pole for £20. Elastic was fitted but I obviously wanted to change it prior to use. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy retrieval as the was nothing to get hold of. Long story short, over the course of the next three days I tried the following methods....to no avail.

1.) Lightly tapping the section on a tiled floor.

2.) Heavily banging the section on a tiled floor!

3.) Pouring kettle water inside the section to try and soften the bung and the floor tapping again.

4. ) straightening out a coat hanger and poking it down the tip to try to push the bung out, rather then pulling. In hindsight I don't recommend doing it this way as it's easy to bunch up the elastic down the side of the bung, making it stick even more.

5.) Putting superglue on the end of a middy screw bung kit and allowing to dry once contact with the bung was made.

I was literally ready to just bite the section in half just so I could at least say I'd got the sodding thing out! Mrs kept looking at me like I was mental, and I nearly was but then I had the idea of bending over the tip of the coat hanger, sitting it on top of the gas ring til it was glowing red and then melting through the bung and leaving things to cool. After running some cold water through the section I then twisted the the coat hanger and pulled. Hard. After a getting the Mrs to hold the other end (close as I get nowadays!) I managed to get the thing out....without any damage. I don't know who was more pleased, me or the Mrs!

Hope that helps someone with what can be a total bloody nightmare of a job!

SeanB

Site Supporter
I had the same problem with a margin pole last year. I tried using the jet washer to blow the bung out, all that achieved was taking a chunk of skin off my hand when I got it too close to the jet.
In the end I used a similar method to the op but using a metal skewer.

Churchill3215

Thank you, young Michael. I appreciate your saying so and wish you many fish. I'll be spending plenty of time on here from here on in. I live in South Wales now so not many people I can talk about fishing with in the neck of the woods unless - it's trout and salmon or sea fishing. Not my thing though, see.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
£20 ? That’s not buying it’s stealing. Bargain of the century there pal. Well done you. 👍

chris1967

Site Supporter
a number two section is too close for me bud ,like to keep her at the full 13mt where ever possible

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Often have this problem in the shop with people who dont know or cant remember what type of bung is fitted so we have a "universal" extractor which is a wood screw welded to a couple of foot of steel rod which normally does the job.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Thank you, young Michael. I appreciate your saying so and wish you many fish. I'll be spending plenty of time on here from here on in. I live in South Wales now so not many people I can talk about fishing with in the neck of the woods unless - it's trout and salmon or sea fishing. Not my thing though, see.
Depends where in South Wales you are boyo - some parts of the valleys it’s hard not to fall in to a fish able lake or pond

rudd

Site Supporter
Just wanted to share some tips on removing a stuck bung. Recently picked up an old but looked after 14.5 map carptek commercial power pole for £20. Elastic was fitted but I obviously wanted to change it prior to use. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy retrieval as the was nothing to get hold of. Long story short, over the course of the next three days I tried the following methods....to no avail.

1.) Lightly tapping the section on a tiled floor.

2.) Heavily banging the section on a tiled floor!

3.) Pouring kettle water inside the section to try and soften the bung and the floor tapping again.

4. ) straightening out a coat hanger and poking it down the tip to try to push the bung out, rather then pulling. In hindsight I don't recommend doing it this way as it's easy to bunch up the elastic down the side of the bung, making it stick even more.

5.) Putting superglue on the end of a middy screw bung kit and allowing to dry once contact with the bung was made.

I was literally ready to just bite the section in half just so I could at least say I'd got the sodding thing out! Mrs kept looking at me like I was mental, and I nearly was but then I had the idea of bending over the tip of the coat hanger, sitting it on top of the gas ring til it was glowing red and then melting through the bung and leaving things to cool. After running some cold water through the section I then twisted the the coat hanger and pulled. Hard. After a getting the Mrs to hold the other end (close as I get nowadays!) I managed to get the thing out....without any damage. I don't know who was more pleased, me or the Mrs!

Hope that helps someone with what can be a total bloody nightmare of a job!
But what type of bung was it?