Styli or stotz?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hiya PG.

I have two tubs of Styles here if you’d like one to try FOC. I do like to use them on very delicate ‘ on the drop ‘ rigs on canals etc. You are more than welcome to a tub if you’d like ? Just PM me your address and I’ll have them in the post Monday. 👍 442BDE17-737A-4E76-AA87-931EA46A71F4.jpeg
That is a very kind offer me dear, I`m paying a visit to my favourite tackle shop next Wednesday and will buy some
no8 stotz plus tool thingy and see how I get on. May well be in touch for your freebie.

I will go through the blogs and try to find an article about stotz/style, it`s all new to me.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Stick in the dark ages mate, nowt wrong with Dinsmore no8😀
Watcha Dave, when I read your post I ferreted around and dug out a tub of D`s no 8, they do look much better than the Milo brand
of the same size. I am going to give the stotz/style thingy a go though, I am certain there are better roach in my swim{s} but I`m not
hooking them, sure it`s down to presentation.

Fishing this morning and failed miserably, few sprats and some eyes, nice day though. It was my club`s main lake and the water looked
odd, like some sort of gravy.

CarpCatcher86

Stick in the dark ages mate, nowt wrong with Dinsmore no8😀
Until they start coming off the line.
This is something I have experienced recently both with 4 and 5lb Maxima Chameleon.
Even after slightly biting them on to the line, every now and then my float will suddenly be sat higher in the water, I'm thinking I'm getting lift bites or fish are intercepting the bait between surface and bottom, only to discover I have lost yet another number 8 shot.

John Step

Site Supporter
This is THE BEST design of styl/stotz etc pliers ... far easier to use than alternatives.
Nufish also do them NuFish Shot Pincers - NuFish - Nathans of Derby

basically just gently shake the styls/stotz on a flat surface (the centre of a styl dispenser shown above is ideal) and they will all end up slot down ... and then are easily grabbed by the pincers and ready to apply to the line.
Thanks very much for putting that up. I have been trying to find them for a while. I need another set . My original one was marketed by Daiwa but not anymore.
They are better than the STOTA tool as once the stotz is gripped the tension of the spring holds it in place. Much better for sausage fingers like mine.
(Pomp git take a good look).
Ta again will order a couple.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That is a very kind offer me dear, I`m paying a visit to my favourite tackle shop next Wednesday and will buy some
no8 stotz plus tool thingy and see how I get on. May well be in touch for your freebie.

I will go through the blogs and try to find an article about stotz/style, it`s all new to me.
No problem PG. There here if and when you want to try them. 👍

Wrongfoot

Best stotz styl pincers are maver sloteez ones Maver Slot-eez Styl Pincers - J965 - Matchman Supplies I've not dropped a shot since I got one and don't need my glasses.
Put stot or styl on your hand, move them slot down, squeeze the rubber grips to open the pincers place over and release. The stot is held securely but not so the cut closes. With no effort from you. Place the line easily into the cut, squeeze the jaws between fingers and thumb.
Should say I'm no expert about shot types, but as a cack-handed person returning to coarse after decades off I found these much easier than pliers and nail clipper type ones. If I find them easy...

Glad few others have confirmed my thoughts.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Until they start coming off the line.
This is something I have experienced recently both with 4 and 5lb Maxima Chameleon.
Even after slightly biting them on to the line, every now and then my float will suddenly be sat higher in the water, I'm thinking I'm getting lift bites or fish are intercepting the bait between surface and bottom, only to discover I have lost yet another number 8 shot.
I've never had a problem up to about 6lb Maxima. Perhaps I bite them on too hard.