Styli or stotz?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening men, I don`t use pole floats so the smallest shot I use are number 8`s, always been a bit ham fisted and do not want to take my reading glasses
fishing as it`s just something else to lose or break. So, going over to styli or stotz. Which are best and easiest to move bearing in mind I only want the
equivalent of number 8, ta peeps.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Evening men, I don`t use pole floats so the smallest shot I use are number 8`s, always been a bit ham fisted and do not want to take my reading glasses
fishing as it`s just something else to lose or break. So, going over to styli or stotz. Which are best and easiest to move bearing in mind I only want the
equivalent of number 8, ta peeps.
Stotz or guru cube (stotz) you get more

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Get yourself one of these PG (probably what Mick was referring to). Great for putting them on the line but also for removing them & small shot as well.
Perfect for blind old buggers like me.

Total

Site Supporter
@Pompous git ....As Mick said above, stotz, but they will move more than you maybe want to...(y).....Styles are just as easy to put on, with proper style pliers and once on will move but not as easy/much as stotz.....(y)

Mr Pomp' I fear you may still need your bins for putting said alternatives on the line......A pair of cheap reading glasses jobs should sort the situ';)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hello again men, I will try the stotz and see how I get on.

Got some milo no8`s in a sort of glass thingy with a rubber split, they were fine but when I bought them in the usual tub they were
rubbish, most of them shut. This is a big deal for me trying shot alternatives, I`m stuck in the dark ages!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve gone to Stotz since starting back to angling and they are so much better than I remember Styl being back in the day.

Got mine and a tool for fitting them and on my whip rigs they’ve been spot on - easy to move if needed but don’t seem to if they need to stay put.

Wrongfoot

Best stotz styl pincers are maver sloteez ones https://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/brands/maver/maver-sloteez-styl-pincers-j965 I've not dropped a shot since I got one and don't need my glasses.
Put stot or styl on your hand, move them slot down, squeeze the rubber grips to open the pincers place over and release. The stot is held securely but not so the cut closes. With no effort from you. Place the line easily into the cut, squeeze the jaws between fingers and thumb.

JayD

Being another resident of the dark ages, I took the plunge and made the move to stotz last season for my No8s. I still need my 'readers' but just use a cheapo pair. I have an old pair of plastic shot pliers that came with an angling mag years ago, and have finally found a use for them, so much so, that I can now use No10 stotz when needed.

John.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Get yourself one of these PG (probably what Mick was referring to). Great for putting them on the line but also for removing them & small shot as well.
Perfect for blind old buggers like me.

They don’t float. 😩🤣

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
this is what I meant when I said Stotta tool, and for gawds sake dont buy the maver leviapiombo, buy the original sensas version if your going to get one as well

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hello again men, I will try the stotz and see how I get on.

Got some milo no8`s in a sort of glass thingy with a rubber split, they were fine but when I bought them in the usual tub they were
rubbish, most of them shut. This is a big deal for me trying shot alternatives, I`m stuck in the dark ages!
Hiya PG.

I have two tubs of Styles here if you’d like one to try FOC. I do like to use them on very delicate ‘ on the drop ‘ rigs on canals etc. You are more than welcome to a tub if you’d like ? Just PM me your address and I’ll have them in the post Monday. 👍 442BDE17-737A-4E76-AA87-931EA46A71F4.jpeg

lliopp

Site Supporter
I have recently bought some Dinsmore grippa Styx to try. Basically bigger sized, but go down to an 8. So far I have had no problems with them.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
this is what I meant when I said Stotta tool, and for gawds sake dont buy the maver leviapiombo, buy the original sensas version if your going to get one as well

Actually, I haven't got the maver one, mines grey. The maver one was simply the first one to come up on the search. Looks the same though

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Best stotz styl pincers are maver sloteez ones https://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/brands/maver/maver-sloteez-styl-pincers-j965 I've not dropped a shot since I got one and don't need my glasses.
Put stot or styl on your hand, move them slot down, squeeze the rubber grips to open the pincers place over and release. The stot is held securely but not so the cut closes. With no effort from you. Place the line easily into the cut, squeeze the jaws between fingers and thumb.
This is THE BEST design of styl/stotz etc pliers ... far easier to use than alternatives.
Nufish also do them NuFish Shot Pincers - NuFish - Nathans of Derby

basically just gently shake the styls/stotz on a flat surface (the centre of a styl dispenser shown above is ideal) and they will all end up slot down ... and then are easily grabbed by the pincers and ready to apply to the line.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Wouldn't be without a Sensas Levapiombo tool for removing stotz and dust shot. Also brilliant for sliding hard shot on the line without damage.

As a mature chap with eyesight to match, on the bank I use a Jewelers loupe when putting on No8's and smaller as well as threading line, pole float rubbers etc. Much quicker than hunting out my specs.

The other thing I find really helpful when putting small shot, stotz or occasionally styles on the line when on the bank is to put a plummet on to put tension on the line. Then place the stotz etc on my left hand index finger, slot upwards, place the tensioned line into the slot and with my free right hand use pincers to nip the stotz onto the line (Or normally still nip it with my teeth). Makes life easier especially with fine lines on a windy day.