Style of float for winter

Twiddler

Site Supporter
Hello,
Please excuse my ignorance but which style of Preston Innovation floats out of Chianti or Fi Maggot would be more suitable for my winter fishing on a small natural water (not a commercial) or is there a better choice/option. The only difference I can see between them is that the bristle is thicker on the Chianti (are there any other differences ?).

Thanks for looking.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
On the whole winter fishing means lighter lines, smaller hooks & baits to cope with fish that are much less positive in their feeding - in this scenario I tend towards pole floats with finer tips to better indicate shy bites.

Have no experience of the two float styles you mention but maybe something like the ones in this thread:

robinta

I've looked at all of the Des Shipp silvers collection, and gone with the F1 fines.

The f1 fine, maggot and pellet all have similar profiles. The maggot and pellet have carbon and wire stems (respectively) and a 1.5mm hollow plastic tip.

The chianti and fine use carbon stems with a 1.2mm hollow on the Fine, and varying diameter cane tips on the chianti.

The chianti is probably the most sensitive of all the range, but I find cane tips can be a bit difficult to see on occasion at distance, so the Fine has ticked all the boxes for what I want

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Have a look a Hillbilly Oliver’s and Frosties I use both, both are chianti body styles

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
think it would come down to how you are trying to catch i.e. on the deck or on the drop, Jamie Hughes has many great videos on float types including stem, bristle and body

Twiddler

Site Supporter
I've looked at all of the Des Shipp silvers collection, and gone with the F1 fines.

The f1 fine, maggot and pellet all have similar profiles. The maggot and pellet have carbon and wire stems (respectively) and a 1.5mm hollow plastic tip.

The chianti and fine use carbon stems with a 1.2mm hollow on the Fine, and varying diameter cane tips on the chianti.

The chianti is probably the most sensitive of all the range, but I find cane tips can be a bit difficult to see on occasion at distance, so the Fine has ticked all the boxes for what I want
Thankyou, just the sort of info I’m after.

robinta

Thankyou, just the sort of info I’m after.
I've just got the F1 fines today. Normally I buy handmade floats, but these look very well made. Ultra sensitive. Look forward to using them (whenever that may be ?)

IanG1

Site Supporter
The Drennan SF1 and SF2 are the best I've used for winter silvers fishing. Nice fine bristle which you can swap for different colours to suit conditions. For bigger baits I use the AS5 with a slightly thicker bristle.