Sturgeon Tactics

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Fishing for Sturgeon is something I've always wanted to do, luckily there's a lake nearby with a good head of double figure fish. Hopefully sometime next year I'll be ready to give it a shot.

It's got me wondering about the best approach to catching them. Ledgered meat seems to be one way. Has anyone targeted them with any success or has any tips?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
theres a pond near me holds em,

they are often caught on pellet in matches

though i do believe as you say the ones who target em use meat

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Meat or pellet, legered... they come into the margins to so bait up with both and drop a bit of legered meat or stack of pellets over the top

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Seems from the fishery facebook page a lot of them are caught night fishing so that's another thing I want to get tackled up for. Shopping list growing by the minute.

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Only ever caught one and it wasn't a Barney , horrible prehistoric looking things , it just swam in circles then gave up

DFL

Site Supporter
theres a pond near me holds em,

they are often caught on pellet in matches

though i do believe as you say the ones who target em use meat

are you referring to Broadoak Mick?

I don’t fish there any more, but when I did I caught a fair few of them, best going about 18lb, they use to cruise around the margins and would hoover up just about any bait they come across but as said a large chunk of spam never failed to tempt them.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
are you referring to Broadoak Mick?

I don’t fish there any more, but when I did I caught a fair few of them, best going about 18lb, they use to cruise around the margins and would hoover up just about any bait they come across but as said a large chunk of spam never failed to tempt them.

chequertree out towards bethersden ashford

sampower

I fish a private water, small lake with 11 well spaced pegs, only around 12 members altogether (only 5/6 active though) and we have a sturgeon as well as a heavy head of Carp, F1's, Barbel and Idea - He was 13lb when introduced apparently but has dropped to around 6/7 lb now - not your typical sturgeon - looks like one of the russian strains when I've researched.
Anyway, fishing yesterday very light on a shallow peg (24 - 30 inches of water at deepest :cry:) I managed to bag him on a 2ml Sonubaits expander, size 16 KTM hook. Poor thing probably doesn't see enough bait - he would certainly thrive in a bigger water!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Had em to 18lb... they go well at first jumping all over the place, but if you can hang on they get tired quickly

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
The problem is not catching them it's landing them.......cue Red Leader and the Stevie story:p:p:p

violator

I had a lovely one of 18lb out of Chequertree in Ashford, ledgered chunk of gámmon steak hair rigged right in the margin, with hemp, corn and pellet over the top, just make sure you give them plenty of time to recover before letting them swim off as they are quite fragile, I supported mine in the margin for a good 5 minutes before it was strong enough to swim off.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
just put a big bed of bait out and they will find it and then be prepared to catch the same fish several times over several days and then once hooked it will more than likely jump clear out the water, go mental and then once landed be prepared to rock teh thing in the water for up to 30 minutes before it has enough strength to swim off.

caught them on pellets, boilies, tigers, sweetcorn, think they will eat anything