Stupid Scammer?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I am treasurer to a small charity. Last week I had an email that appeared to come from the chairman's email account (chairman@) to mine (treasurer@). The email asked if I could make a payment. I asked what for and to who and was told it was for a projector costing £1,332, I was also given beneficiary account details. I know full well we have no need of a projector, that we had never discussed buying one and so immediately twigged it was a scam. An email to the chairman's wife, followed by a chat with him confirmed he had no idea about the supposed purchase.

To string the scammer along I told them that it would take a few days to get the money transferred from our savings account with HSBC. We have no accounts with HSBC. Today the scammer has asked how things are going. I have repled that I should be in a position to set up the payment tomorrow. I also said that once I had done the "chairman" would have to log on and authorise the transfer. Of course there is no way I am going to do anything of the sort.

The interesting bit is that I have just checked the beneficiary sort code and it does not exist. I am tempted to ask the scammer to get the beneficiary to send us £5 so that I know I have the correct details to transfer the £1,332 and "return" the £5. Probably won't because that would reveal our bank account details. Just an amusing thought that I might be able to get £5 off a scammer.

The original email has been forwarded to Natwest fraud department.