Stuggling with dropshotting and jig fishing

TimFB

Braid hates any kind of slack. I use it for saltwater lure fishing a lot...maybe over 100hrs worth of casting and retrieving or jigging in a year. This simple trick was shown to me years ago by someone and it totally stops any tangles on or near your spool. When you have cast out, never ever engage the bail using the reel handle and close it by hand. After closing the bale arm, give the braid a little tug to pull out any slack ... promise you’ll have no more loops coming off the spool causing mayhem 👍

groggy

Braid hates any kind of slack. I use it for saltwater lure fishing a lot...maybe over 100hrs worth of casting and retrieving or jigging in a year. This simple trick was shown to me years ago by someone and it totally stops any tangles on or near your spool. When you have cast out, never ever engage the bail using the reel handle and close it by hand. After closing the bale arm, give the braid a little tug to pull out any slack ... promise you’ll have no more loops coming off the spool causing mayhem 👍
Interesting....I will give that a look at

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Slow down, then when you think you’re fishing slow... slow down more.

Get a 6ft - 7ft rod (usually 6ft 4in) with an upper casting weight of no more than 7g.
+ a 1000 size reel to balance and keep everything nice and light.

groggy

Slow down, then when you think you’re fishing slow... slow down more.

Get a 6ft - 7ft rod (usually 6ft 4in) with an upper casting weight of no more than 7g.
+ a 1000 size reel to balance and keep everything nice and light.
I'm looking around for 2nd hand gear right now

groggy

went jigging on the peak forest canal today and blanked again :(

got snapped a couple of times by snags under water which seemed like broken branches.

what knots do people us to attach jig to flourocarbon and what lb flouro would you say for minimum breaking strain?

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
I use fluorocarbon between 0.22 mm and 0.30 mm for dropshot. Lighter lines when there is no pike around. I rarely use jigheads. Mostly weedless J-hooks and a cheburascha weights. And a light pike leader between the braid and the lure, or two meters of fluorocarbon between the braid and the pike leader. When I'm fishing venues without pike, I tie the lure directly to the fluorocarbon leader. In winter and late autumn I only go dropshotting. Because you can fish incredibly slowly with a dropshotted lure. You can use any type of fishing knot. I prefer a 5-6 turn UNI-knot (Grinner). Using dropshot, carolina rigs, texas rigs or plain jigheads, you fish the bottom, and you must expect to get snagged at regular intervals.

At the moment my perchfishing isn't much to write home about. I blank more often than not. I have to dropshot really small lures, and CrazyFish Cruel Lech (55 mm) is one of few lures that tempts them. Fish slowly, don't shake the rod like you're having an epileptic seizure, very small movements in the rod, and let the weight rest on the bottom for a while, before moving weight and lure again. Be patient. Often the bite comes when the lure is hold still.

I hope you find this helpful.

DFL

Site Supporter
If it helps......

I fish a local estate lake that holds a small number of half decent perch. In the past three weeks I have visited the lake five times with a lure rod armed with plastic shads, spoons and creature lures. all short visits approx 1 hour, depending on boredom threshold. Four of the five sessions....blank, not a touch. Two days ago in a 45 minute spell, five perch hooked, two lost, best going 2lb 6ozs, taps every cast. Ended with the biggest surprise, a 3lb eel caught on a crayfish looking lure. Within a few moments it went dead, not a touch,

I wish I knew exactly what it is that suddenly turns preds on and then just as abruptly they switch off, furthermore, no two days seem alike. I've read articles, many citing the "golden hour", just before dawn or dusk, I've caught all my big perch in the middle of the day, often in bright sunshine, that's fishing I guess!

Tuesday's captures

Attachments

• 3F615905-55D5-41D8-8A51-A5FA82C0F70B.jpeg
    3F615905-55D5-41D8-8A51-A5FA82C0F70B.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 3
  • A5AAA662-A699-443D-95CB-486E022BA6FD.jpeg
    A5AAA662-A699-443D-95CB-486E022BA6FD.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 3

groggy

I use fluorocarbon between 0.22 mm and 0.30 mm for dropshot. Lighter lines when there is no pike around. I rarely use jigheads. Mostly weedless J-hooks and a cheburascha weights. And a light pike leader between the braid and the lure, or two meters of fluorocarbon between the braid and the pike leader. When I'm fishing venues without pike, I tie the lure directly to the fluorocarbon leader. In winter and late autumn I only go dropshotting. Because you can fish incredibly slowly with a dropshotted lure. You can use any type of fishing knot. I prefer a 5-6 turn UNI-knot (Grinner). Using dropshot, carolina rigs, texas rigs or plain jigheads, you fish the bottom, and you must expect to get snagged at regular intervals.

At the moment my perchfishing isn't much to write home about. I blank more often than not. I have to dropshot really small lures, and CrazyFish Cruel Lech (55 mm) is one of few lures that tempts them. Fish slowly, don't shake the rod like you're having an epileptic seizure, very small movements in the rod, and let the weight rest on the bottom for a while, before moving weight and lure again. Be patient. Often the bite comes when the lure is hold still.

I hope you find this helpful.
yes thanks mate very useful!
do you recommend a brand for flouro?

also why the cheb weights instead of jig?

any reason why not use a simple blood knot?

sorry for all the questions and thanks for your informed reply!

ps....im fishing the canals around manchester

groggy

Braid - go to a playing field, put on a bomb, drop it on floor and walk letting all braid off spool.
Then stand still and wind it all back on under tension.

Lure fishing can be hard, I fish a water with lots of Perch of all sizes and on alot of days cannot get a touch.
Have you fished with maggots, worms etc to find out average size, numbers? It may be the Perch are not there.
I have only caught two Perch on drop shot rigs in thirty or so tries but had loads on jigs and spinners.
bye the way i took it on the field and did that with a bomb......no tangles today ....cheers!

BoldBear

Have a gander at this video which should set you right.

When I first started drop spotting a couple years ago my biggest problems were imparting too much movement in the lure by shaking the rod tip a little too vigerously, and also realising that sometimes perch can take a bait surprisingly gently on a drop shot, as I was used to spinning for them and having the perch take the spinner a little more aggressively.
So look out for gentle pulls as well.

Anyway have a gander at this video.

Tight lines
Keith

Last edited:

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
yes thanks mate very useful!
do you recommend a brand for flouro?

also why the cheb weights instead of jig?

any reason why not use a simple blood knot?

sorry for all the questions and thanks for your informed reply!

ps....im fishing the canals around manchester

I use Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon. Why? Well, because it's easily available where I live. No other reason. I have other brands, like Owner, Gamakatsu, Suffix, Dragon, Prorex, etc. Whatever is available. I can't imagine that it would make any difference what brand of fluoro you use.

I don't have any weedless jigheads, and I like the flexibility of the cheb weight. And I have lots and lots of J-hooks.

No other reason than that the five-six turn grinner is the knot I am used to. Also that this knot is useful for other purposes than tying a line to an eyed hook. It can be used to join mono and braid, for example. Although I almost always use an albright knot for the latter task.

You're welcome. Informed and informed. I don't know about that. I like jigfishing, and dropshotting in particular. Maybe because it's the way of lurefishing that come closest to coarse fishing. Try to bait your dropshot hook with worms, and see what happens. I just bought a jig rod, used an old Drennan reel, went to the bankside, and learned along the way. YouTube videos are also a fine source of good information.

groggy

Have a gander at this video which should set you right.

When I first started drop spotting a couple years ago my biggest problems were imparting too much movement in the lure by shaking the rod tip a little too vigerously, and also realising that sometimes perch can take a bait surprisingly gently on a drop shot, as I was used to spinning for them and having the perch take the spinner a little more aggressively.
So look out for gentle pulls as well.

Anyway have a gander at this video.

Tight lines
Keith
I will check it tomorrow. Cheers pal

Rick123

Site Supporter
Groggy. I did try drop-shot fishing for a while, brought all the kit and baits. I really did go in deep, but I simply could not catch any fish. Or not enough to make me enjoy it, I think as mentioned its not as easy as it looks, and you need lots of fish to make competition for the bait to work. I ended up fishing maggots on the light gear and having some fun anyway, thats the idea I reckon.

squimp

Site Supporter
As Harvey has pointed out there is a major problem with the whole concept of drop shotting.

The issue is that the technique involves fishing the lure REALLY slowly. That is fine IF you know where the fish are. eg around bottom structure, piling, lock cuttings etc etc.

If you are searching for fish then other techniques are more appropriate as they allow you to cover more water, more quickly.

DFL

Site Supporter
My experience when drop shorting is different, like so many forms of lure fishing, the speed of retrieval should be varied as some days a fast moving lure works.

I watched a RiverPiker video last year where he and a mate went dropshotting, Paul used the traditional method whereas his pal was casting some distance and bumping the lure along more in a jig fishing style covering a far greater area. He completely out fished Paul using this method, I’ll try and find the video.

rudd

Site Supporter
TBH I have not caught a Perch on any type of lure, jig/ds/spinner/spoon since the start of September.
Caught loads on Prawns.
I have even seen anglers who are pure lure anglers casting out small jigs with a prawn on it instead of plastic!
Have decent rods, alivio/exage reels, 6lb braid, fluro hooklenghts and to many lures - just cant catch Perch on the kit at present.

DFL

Site Supporter
Prawns seem to be a marmite bait with perch in my experience Rudd, I tend to steer clear of them especially if carp are present. The trusty lobworm is the go to banker if lures fail to attract.

Heres the video I mentioned, it's quite lengthy but as with most of Paul's videos very entertaining.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I gave up on dropshotting pretty quickly as I get way more bites on jigs as they are more versatile in how they can be fished. It's not a form of fishing I do a lot of (in fact very rarely in freshwater) but my cousins quite into the whole pike and perch scene and he also fairs better with jigs and other conventional lures than he ever has with dropshotting.