Stuggling with dropshotting and jig fishing

groggy

Hi all....
I've been drop shotting and jig fishing around 15 -20 times now on the local canal but the most I've ever caught is one perch!
And a tiny one at that.....
I just don't know where I'm going wrong
I keep getting the braid tangled on my spool when I cast aswell.

Here's what I'm using

Rod : shakespeare ugly stik gx2
Reel : diawa long cast
Braid: browning black magic 8lb
Florocarbon : 4lbs
3g jig heads size 12 hook
Or
1 inch micro lures size 12 or 14s hook

I've watched plenty of videos on youtube but it's just not happening....thinking about packing it in :(

frothy

When you are drop shotting are you working close to features and long the margins? when using the jigs try just bumping them along the bottom slowly, this works very well in the colder months and is easier as the weed and vegetation dies back. I’ve had many days lure fishing on canals that have only produced fish a couple of hours before sunset especially on bright days so it is always worth fishing until dusk.
Which canal are you fishing btw?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Before you make your first cast, thoroughly wet the braid on the spool... it helps reduce wind knots... also only fill the spool two thirds full as this also helps reduce knots....

Find structure, pilings, locks, bridges ets and work the lures in those areas... vary the depth too

DFL

Site Supporter
Try a lobworm when plastic lures don’t work, always works for me.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Do what Arry says. But also: Is there a stock of good sized perch in the canal? How do they migrate during the seasons? Can they escape into a lake or to a deeper stretch of the canal? Do other anglers catch perch on your stretch of the canal? What do they use? Do you move from venue to venue, or are you stuck at the same swim?

I have also had problems with my braid. It tends to tangle around the tip of my rod when ever the line is not tight, and cause all kind of trouble when casting. It turned out that the braid was overly twisted. I tie the braid to the mono (using the allbright knot), and have never used a swivel. To protect my rodrings. This particular brand of braid do not like that at all and punishes me severely.

In late august, early september, my perchfishing was magnificent. It was one perch per minute, and many good sized perch as well. But suddenly they disappeared. And were nowhere to be found. I fish in a large estuary, but I do not know the migrationpatterns. I'v been searching ever since, but without success. Right now, I know of only one area that holds perch (lots of them). But they are generally small. I'v tried in all lakes within reasonably distance from where I live. I have been into two decent perch, but have either blanked or landed tiddlers. Like today. Not a single bite.

But I'm not giving up. I know lakes withing an hours driving, that hold good perch. I will keep on trying.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
It is more difficult to catch fish on artificial lures rather than live bait that is one of the reasons fly fishing was invented because Trout are pretty easy to catch with bait.
The point of it is that it is more rewarding to trick fish like Perch and other predatory fish into eating your artificial bait so stick at it and try near to any sort of feature which may hold a few fish like boats,trees,weeds etc.

rudd

Site Supporter
Hi all....
I've been drop shotting and jig fishing around 15 -20 times now on the local canal but the most I've ever caught is one perch!

Here's what I'm using

Or
1 inch micro lures size 12 or 14s hook

I've watched plenty of videos on youtube but it's just not happening....thinking about packing it in :(
Braid - go to a playing field, put on a bomb, drop it on floor and walk letting all braid off spool.
Then stand still and wind it all back on under tension.

Lure fishing can be hard, I fish a water with lots of Perch of all sizes and on alot of days cannot get a touch.
Have you fished with maggots, worms etc to find out average size, numbers? It may be the Perch are not there.
I have only caught two Perch on drop shot rigs in thirty or so tries but had loads on jigs and spinners.

Lure Finatic

I’ve got a club lake I fish that is full of Perch of all sizes. Fish triple maggot, Dendra bunches or even a big lob and it’s one a chuck.

Dropshot or fish a jig head and soft plastic and it’s like you’re fishing for a handful of fish in a 3 acre lake, but fooling them into taking a lure still gives me a thrill.

groggy

When you are drop shotting are you working close to features and long the margins? when using the jigs try just bumping them along the bottom slowly, this works very well in the colder months and is easier as the weed and vegetation dies back. I’ve had many days lure fishing on canals that have only produced fish a couple of hours before sunset especially on bright days so it is always worth fishing until dusk.
Which canal are you fishing btw?
Hi frothy
Bridgewater canal at boothstown...so I know there are plenty of fish.
I fished near boats....along the edge of the wall...in open water...next to a submerged car!!!! ....along the shelf on the canal....under a bridge....all the features:(
There was a guy I spoke to and he had 15 wasps

groggy

Before you make your first cast, thoroughly wet the braid on the spool... it helps reduce wind knots... also only fill the spool two thirds full as this also helps reduce knots....

Find structure, pilings, locks, bridges ets and work the lures in those areas... vary the depth too
It's around the spool where it tangles....and always seems to be around the lip

Arry

Site Supporter
Sounds like the spool is overloaded... the coils peel off 2 or 3 at a time causing knots... take some off till the spool is only 3/4 full and wet the spool thoroughly before fishing

groggy

Braid - go to a playing field, put on a bomb, drop it on floor and walk letting all braid off spool.
Then stand still and wind it all back on under tension.

Lure fishing can be hard, I fish a water with lots of Perch of all sizes and on alot of days cannot get a touch.
Have you fished with maggots, worms etc to find out average size, numbers? It may be the Perch are not there.
I have only caught two Perch on drop shot rigs in thirty or so tries but had loads on jigs and spinners.
I've never caught anything on a spinner!

That's a great tip for the braid as it seems to tangle where it's not tight on the spool

groggy

Sounds like the spool is overloaded... the coils peel off 2 or 3 at a time causing knots... take some off till the spool is only 3/4 full and wet the spool thoroughly before fishing
Yep....I will do this and the ledger bomb in a field. Cheers

groggy

Does anyone think the rod might not be sensitive enough aswell? I think it's actually a spinning rod
Also...I know the reel is the lightest.
Can anyone recomend a cheap reel?
Second hand is also good for me

Arry

Site Supporter
With drop shotting you need a very fine tip... almost quivertip proportions... have a look at some dedicated drop shot rods... I think about 30 quid would see you find something and Shimano Alivio reels are dead cheap... a 1000 or 1.500 size will be fine...👍

centerpin fan

Hi all....

Here's what I'm using

Jig head seems very heavy to me. My standard heads are 1/32 oz (AAA) or 1/64 oz (BB). Many people like braid, but I stick with 2-3# mono.