Struggling to arrange COVID vaccination?

Philocalist

Just a 'heads up' some may find helpful. As most will know, the vaccinations are still being done in a strict order, and you're evidently unable to book one without falling into an appropriate category / being invited to.
Apparently, these invites are being sent out by BOTH GP surgeries AND the NHS, directly. Although the purpose is identical - getting you in for a vaccine, they are NOT the same, and apparently access different appointments (and venues) despite both using the same (home) postcode for you - I've just discovered this accidentally.

I got my invites (from GP, via text message, and by mail from the NHS) more than a couple of weeks ago, but a combination of the car being off the road, and an apparent lack of appropriate appointment locations and times meant I did not book until last week - I'd used the 'NHS' route online (and via 119), to be repeatedly offered appointments where the nearest / earliest ones were at one of 3 locations at least 35 miles distant (which would have meant in my case, a couple of hours on public transport, each way....).
Consequently, the earliest I could book at a venue fairly close was (at that point) about 3 weeks distant, w/c 22nd March.

Getting a bit twitchy about the delay (in view of the fact we've two young lads being used as guinea pigs back at school from tomorrow) who may well bring the virus home to an otherwise healthy family (we also have my father-in-law resident - 94 years old, so it's particularly concerning), I went back online again today (via the NHS link again) to see if anything sooner / closer had been made available. Nope - earlier appointments at least 10 days away are still 35 miles distant, anything closer being maybe 10 days after that.

On a whim, I then followed the link given to me in the text message from my GP (remember both they and the NHS direct are using the same details for me) - and was offered an appointment later this week, with availibility most of the day, and onwards - at my local walk-in centre, about 5 mins away. :rolleyes: :D

One more click, and the job is done, and confirmed immediately (y)

NOT complaining, or questioning why, just trying to give anyone struggling a nudge in the right direction.....

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Me and the wife had ours tonight 6:15 pm appointment time straight in after the normal hand sanitiser answered a few questions to prove who we were and check for allergies then both jabbed by two RAF nurses, waited 15 minutes as suggested as I was driving then back home no issues at all.
Whole thing took less than an hour and everybody was very helpful and well organised.

angel

Site Supporter
My wife and I have had a similar problem, I had my letter a couple of weeks ago.
I was told to get into the local sports hall vax centre wait for docs to contact you.
We have waited and waited... It appears our local centre which was doing about 1000 a day last month now has no vax therefore no available appts. I turned to the NHS online route which doesnt give appts at our local centre but will offer places further afield even though we are not supposed to be travelling out of our town.
Today, by pure chance I spotted the online offering a chemist in the local town, so I booked our appts for tomorrow, the only day available.
When you book that way it requires you to book BOTH jabs at the same time.
Sadly, there are no local appts available for our 2nd jabs so I have had to accept non local appts for those to ensure we get in for our 1st tomorrow.
It appears to be a bit of a postcode lottery whether you can get it or not, unless you are able and prepared to travel.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I received a letter from the NHS offering appointments for both jabs with 3 dates and 3 locations... chose the earliest and closest for both appointments... both 10 miles away...
My lass got a letter for the appointments the same way this week, if you are over 56 just go to the NHS website and book your jabs... simples

62tucker

Site Supporter
I received a letter from the NHS offering appointments for both jabs with 3 dates and 3 locations... chose the earliest and closest for both appointments... both 10 miles away...
My lass got a letter for the appointments the same way this week, if you are over 56 just go to the NHS website and book your jabs... simples
Got letter Saturday morning. Went online to book up. A few attempts as I was putting earliest dates available in but by time I I clicked except they had gone so went on later dates and booked both jabs in no problem.
27 th March. 7pm. Super hub about 7 miles away. 👍🏼 Jab 2/3 week before the April opening up of stuff. Perfect timing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do they send you an invite for your second jab?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Did both appointments at the same time on the form... one jab today & my second is 26th May

angel

Site Supporter
For some it does seem like a simple operation, readily available appointments at easily accessed local centres, for others not so...
Not everyone can travel, public transport is pitiful. Our surgery tell me they are struggling to work through their 1000+ over 60s cohort with availability of local appointments.
Yet I heard of someone 10 years my junior who got his letter, made a call to his doc and got a local appt within days.... as I said its a lottery.
We will all get their in the end I guess.

angel

Site Supporter
Apparently, if you had your 1st jab early days the NHS will contact you ref your 2nd.
Now, when you book you book both.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
I booked mine myself, and i'm only 38, had it 2-3 weeks ago now.

Booked through SwiftQueue

No need to wait for useless doctors surgeries or the NHS to get in touch with you if you think you're right age / entitled.

Waiting for the NHS to do anything could cost you your life.

stikflote

Site Supporter
I had my first jab on 23 Jan they gave me a card with date of second jab on it

davepellet

had text from GP saying follow link to book appointment, with the 'offer' only being available 7 days....

every single time I've tried to book, it just shows a screen saying no appointments are available

been trying at various time of day all week now, starting 7am through to 6pm & still the same
why send out text messages when there's nothing available...

Deejay8

Site Supporter
In general, it seems that the online NHS booking system will give you an appointment at the nearest large vaccination centre. If you can't travel to one of those, then you need to be called by your GP surgery, for it to be done there. If you haven't heard from them, I suggest contacting them to find out if and when they're doing vaccinations. Also you could see if any pharmacies are doing vaccinations locally.
The NHS are trying to get most people to attend the vaccination centres to get the maximum amount of people vaccinated quickly, and then using GP surgeries and pharmacies to catch those that can't travel. But I have heard a few stories of people falling through the cracks and nearly being missed. So if you can't travel to a vaccination centre, then you need to be proactive, and try and arrange something locally, in case you get missed.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Just wondering. I’m 50 and probably will be offered a jab before end of the month. Would I be able to take to slot but give it to my lad. His 22 and has asthma. As yet he hasn’t heard but others in his circle have been jabbed a while back. I’m fit as can be and ain’t bothered if I catch it but do worry about the lad.
when I say ain’t bothered it doesn’t mean I don’t follow rules. I stick the them 100%,

gixer 13

Site Supporter
No you cant he will be asked for proof of who he is. However if he has bad asthma he should be able to get an appointment as clinically vulnerable. I haventhad mine yet as cant get in locally, got my letter but they are doing over 60,s and clinically vulnerable. Hope he gets sorted

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Just wondering. I’m 50 and probably will be offered a jab before end of the month. Would I be able to take to slot but give it to my lad. His 22 and has asthma. As yet he hasn’t heard but others in his circle have been jabbed a while back. I’m fit as can be and ain’t bothered if I catch it but do worry about the lad.
when I say ain’t bothered it doesn’t mean I don’t follow rules. I stick the them 100%,
No you wouldn't be able to do that. If he hasn't been called up yet, then his asthma isn't considered a risk factor, given recent data on Covid, unless he takes steroid tablets (not inhalers) or has been hospitalised with asthma. If so then he needs to contact his GP surgery, rather than wait for them to contact him. I personally think it's wrong that asthma sufferers of all types aren't being vaccinated yet, but that's how it is. You should take the vaccine yourself when offered it, because plenty of fit over 50s have been very ill from Covid.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
It’s not I’m fit it won’t get me. I’m just looking out for my lad. If I die I’ll not know is how I view things. When offered I’ll take.
his asthma is hit and miss. 18mth we had an ambulance twice because he was bad 24mth ago he didn’t use the inhaler for 6mth. At the moment he uses it daily.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It’s not I’m fit it won’t get me. I’m just looking out for my lad. If I die I’ll not know is how I view things. When offered I’ll take.
his asthma is hit and miss. 18mth we had an ambulance twice because he was bad 24mth ago he didn’t use the inhaler for 6mth. At the moment he uses it daily.
He should really contact his GP surgery and ask to be added to the list, if he has had to have an ambulance out in recent years. I really hope that he gets his jab.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I had mine about 3 weeks ago, ahead of my time really as the local GP surgery had some vaccine that was going to be left unused on a Friday so they contacted patients in the next groups down and asked if they could come in before the end of the day, I got a phone call at 1:30 walked over to the surgery was ushered straight into treatment room and back home by 1:45 all done and dusted