strongest/ heaviest top kit

aljolson

a pleasure venue we fish has a few pegs where you only need the top kit and my daiwa whisker xls top kits with blue or red hydro feel as if they are about to snap on carp 8-12lb and are not up to it.( the number 4 snapped within the first week of using it. i regret buying the pole now,
its rated to 18 elastics only if you are using 12oz bottoms)

one peg does require a couple of sections on, so what is the strongest top kit (or pole to 5 metres ish designed for lumps.
cheers

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Yes you need a margin pole. They are generally a lot stronger because the extra weight doesn’t matter.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Try getting hold of a Milo Siluro, or Slimmy

Last edited:

Corn Master

Middy M2 10m. Rated 30 elastic. Fish straight through on 0.22. But to be honest, 8 to 10lbs are a bit tiddly for 30 elastics

Louis D

Site Supporter
Not sure why you think the pole isn't up to it. I had one 17 lb last week on NG 16-20 microbore with my airity and several 8-10 lber's on 2+1 including some foul hookers that were not happy at all. I suppose it depends on how you play them, I get back to the top kit ASAP then use the elastic. The Daiwa power kits feel plenty strong enough, I've never snapped a Daiwa match kit on a fish in nearly 20 years, even in cases when I'm not sure the fish will fit in the landing net.

aljolson

Last year I tried the m10 in a shop and I thought the walls were far too thin and felt really fragile.

I used to play carp with my old maver iron arm with the full pole and then shipped back to a couple of sections on as I didn't have pullers.

LouisD - youre not sure why I think the pole isn't up to it? lol didn't you read the snapped number 4 on me last year on a carp less than 8lb?
and yours is an airity and mine is the cheaper whisker xls

since the snap, I too get back to the top kit as soon as possible and let the elastic do the playing. Its simple a case of hanging on to the top kit while the elastic is at its maximum stretch.
the power top kits get bent right round and feel to me close to their limit
there are trees and snags on the inside and there is no way in hell you can even think about bullying them just hang on pole tip under the water and touch wood I have lost one out of 25 hooked so far so I might be doing something right.

either way im not happy with the strength of the top kit and want something a lot beefier

ill look at those milo poles and the cgea0

aljolson

haha was cgea0 a typo by any chance? here's me googling for it
I cant find any siluro's on sale in the uk
some in Italy but they have extra names like Siluro Gerardix – Milo
knowing my luck the geradix will be the ultra light silvers version.....

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I have a Daiwa XLS and for snag free waters, I haven't encountered a problem with carp 8-12 lbs although my preference now is to use the short 4, I think you have been unlucky with the No 4 going on your XLS. That said I was getting 8-10 Lb carp out of a peg with reeds either side fishing literally under my feet with Power kit and short four tucked under my armpit. The carp weren't taking the float down as such, more just bolting for open water mostly, occasional one did get in amongst the reeds, but quick pressure got them turned and out again. If I have a very snaggy peg, I will reach for Middy M3 13M although I don't fish waters that require a 30 elastic, strongest I use is 18-22 and if something goes it's either hook-link or line.

aljolson

no edit after 10 mins? that's a bit harsh
ive gone off milo poles after a bit of research on the net due to spares being more or less non existent

aljolson

I sent the no4 off to daiwa I was that annoyed only to be told it was broken by being hit

I actually dived in and swam to retrieve the top 3 plus broken half no4 and gotthe fish in as well and got a pic of it but still no joy
they offered me a no4 at half price
I told them to shove it

scribe that's what they do in the peg I fished Saturday, at the same time the float goes under the elastic shoots out and 2 seconds later they are 8 metres away

I too use the short no4 but like I said earlier as soon as I can im down to the top kit and its that that bends round as if its a sigma wand
and while netting even when ive got the head and shoulders of a ten pounder out of the water they can still lurch and dive under and be in swimming mode again. as you know they cant swim as good with their head and shoulders out of the water and my present gear isn't up to doing that

Im not daft I know what I want, summat beefier and it would be nice to have one of the strongest bits of kit available
and that is not my whisker xls

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Have to agree with you Al the Whisker XLS is not the strongest pole out there, but it's not designed with that in mind, Anyway I think the main point of your post is what would people recommend for the type of fishing you have encountered, in that case I can vouch for the Middy M2/M3.

aljolson

yeah i should have researched it a bit more, a pal said it was fine for taming big carp, I obviously like to tame them a bit more than he does.

I do like the look and sound of the middy shock stik if only it was a metre longer

I looked at the m2/3 ;ast year but got carried away wanting to spend more money on something that would double up as a long pole. ill have another look now I know what I want

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The strongest short pole is a Garbolino Margin Carp destructor if you can find one probably under £60 but a Middy White knuckle would most likely do the job for around £40

Last edited:

Paulmlpss

Middy M2 10m. Rated 30 elastic. Fish straight through on 0.22. But to be honest, 8 to 10lbs are a bit tiddly for 30 elastics
I have to agree with this pole. I use it rather than my main pole on snaggy swims and where big fish are involved. Fantastic bit of kit and you can really lean into them if it's needed.

aljolson

I have to agree with this pole. I use it rather than my main pole on snaggy swims and where big fish are involved. Fantastic bit of kit and you can really lean into them if it's needed.
don't you find it flexes in your hands and seems ultra thin?
im not bothered about weight and will look at ken the pacmans suggestions - ken just looked there is a 6m carp "whip" and a 8m pole listed under white knuckle cx

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have not seen them in person nor used them but the Oakwood topkits look, from the pictures, to be similar if not the same as the last set of kits I got from Dragon Carp Direct. I can vouch for the DCD ones being strong and well capable of handling the size of carp mentioned. Can be found for under £20 each.

aljolson

ive shelled out on a middy white knuckle cx 6m job

playing the wife in the garden it likes to bend a lot
be interesting to see what happens when the bending stops.....