Strong margin float

Carp attack

In need of a super strong margin float, needs to be heavy .4 .5, fishing next to reeds/lillies/platforms/roots,
I know that no float is indestructible but need something strong!
Can anyone recommend a float upto the job???
Cheers

BoldBear

If you are fishing very close in from tight under your feet to a rod length out why not use a Porcipine quill?

These are very strong and resilient and can be dotted down if it’s required.

Or you could use a Crow quill or another bird quill if you want something a little smaller.

NB: They are waterproof too so you don’t need to vanish/paint them either; other than a little paint on their tip so that they stand out more in low light.

Keith

Last edited:

Carp attack

If you are fishing very close in from tight under your feet to a rod length out why not use a Porcipine quill?

These are very strong and resilient and can be dotted down if it’s required.

Or you could use a Crow Or other bird quill if you want something a little smaller.

Keith
Am assuming you make them yourself???

lp1886

Site Supporter
If fishing next to lilies a good choice is a tiny waggler. These can then ‘fold’ over when the rig gets dragged through the vegetation, whereas when a traditional float gets pulled back through the bristle can act as a barb and get stuck leading to breakages.

BoldBear

You can get Porcupine quills from lots of places on the web. Just do a search for ‘Porcupine quills’ and you will see lots of them and they are cheap too.

We used to use them most of the time back in the 60’s and some anglers still use them for close in work.

All you need is a couple of float rubbers to hold them onto your line or whip a wire ring to the bottom and a float rubber on the top or if you want to fish them like a waggler and sink your line just omit the top float rubber.

They come in various sizes and you can also fish the smaller ones on a pole.

I think they’re Taylor made for what you need them for.

Keith

Last edited:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Drennan margin crystals are pretty strong, I have had them ripped through lily pads and pulled out of fish then bounced off a platform as the elastic recovered and only had to reset the depth add a couple of shot that had vanished and carried on fishing.

Carp attack

Drennan margin crystals are pretty strong, I have had them ripped through lily pads and pulled out of fish then bounced off a platform as the elastic recovered and only had to reset the depth add a couple of shot that had vanished and carried on fishing.
I've used the Crystal's but had issue with the plastic cracking an bristle snapping, unless I had a bad batch of float??

dubdog

Plenty of people making so called hand made floats. Should be plenty strong enough.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
HillBilly Grizzly’s I have used them for several years and they are as tough as they come.

I have no connection to HillBilly floats other than as a satisfied customer, I use several of Neil’s patterns and they are all extremely well made and do the job they say.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
HillBilly Grizzly’s I have used them for several years and they are as tough as they come.

I have no connection to HillBilly floats other than as a satisfied customer, I use several of Neil’s patterns and they are all extremely well made and do the job they say.

Another vote for Hillbilly floats. The immortals range are bombproof ??

90sGear

Site Supporter

Seconded plus the edge hogs rule too

Carp attack

I've looked at hillbilly floats before but never took the plunge an bought any, lol, might have to bite the bullet an try them out,
Do they have plenty on stock? I know that some float makers with good reputations there floats are like rocking horse sh###, haha

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've looked at hillbilly floats before but never took the plunge an bought any, lol, might have to bite the bullet an try them out,
Do they have plenty on stock? I know that some float makers with good reputations there floats are like rocking horse sh###, haha
Never had an issue, Neil usually has plenty of stock.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Chris, What side eyes do you prefer with these floats? Thank you.
Mark, for all floats except margin floats I prefer a side eye, they sit better in the water, for strength in a margin float I prefer the strong spring eye.
351852DC-19A1-4A80-996C-6ACB406CE63D.jpeg