strong caster hook

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegasus

benny
im after a strong but light hook that i can use for fishing up in the water with caster as bait, carp will be the target fish so it needs to be strong, ive been using 911 and the gamakatsu range`s but i find the gamas can be streightened out after a while and the 911 are a little heavy and cause the caster to look unnatural.
along with 808 the 911 and gama`s are my main hooks and im not critsizing them in any way im just wanting to see if theres a better tol for the job.
i always use floating casters as the hook bait.
any idea`s tips, advics will be apreciated.

phil-k

I use 20's middy eyed Eoo2 which will land any big carp, also the Eoo1 is even lighter but will only handle carp up to 4lb.

caraticus

The kamasan 560 may be a slightly lighter hook, it's the same sort of medium gauge wire, wide gape, as the 911 but micro barbed. The next step in Kamasan is the 511 which is a fine wire, great presentation but I doubt that it will be up to the job of carp. In my opinion, the 911 is only just strong enough to handle carp, any lighter and it will lose valuable strength.

The way I get around it is by using as small as possible medium wire hook, which always seems less likely to staighten than a larger fine wire hook; or by using imitation bouyant casters, with the weight of the hook they fall through the water more naturally.

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
What size carp are your targeting and what sort of lines are you using and elastics?

I've not had any trouble with the Milo T213's. Pretty fine wire but strong.

sladey

Pegasus, b611 for average carp and for serious bagging b711 in a size 15 or size 17, 911 are good hooks but arent desgined for caster fishing as the gape isnt right in my opinon, 711's can be used either caster or double maggot, 808's are a winter pellet hook for me, will be straighten out time and time again in summer on lumps. Just a quick note mate though, unless your venue is differnt from most i visit, double maggot or single is a better choice than caster on the hook, by any means feed caster but if you feed caster and fish maggot on hook, when roach are hooked you can shake them off the hook without having to ship back in and also get more cracks at hitting bites. Casters can be shelled to easy and time is wasted shipping in and out. Kamasan b711's all the way for me with double red on them!

pegasus

benny
cheers lads i`ll give them patterns a go, the carp im after are mainly f1`s i do use gamakatsu but find they blunt too easy or like the 808 they streighten on better fish the hooks have to be factory barbles to fishery rules.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
I use Drennan carbon caster hooks for all my caster work Pegasus.
I dont know what size carp you are talking about mate but Ive had plenty of big fish in general on them and I dont remember ever having one straighten.

pegasus

benny
just for general up in the water work mate the carp are f1`s and go to about 3-4 pound cheers barry

midge99

On comercials for smal carp I use Mustad wide gape power barbless never had a problem with them straighting or hooking casters

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
They will handle that easily Pegasus. Nice sharp hook as well. If the casters are decent then you can get away with a 16s too. I have never had a problem with them bar once were I had a couple snap in the same session but it had never happened before or since and I put it down to buying a dodgy packet but that happens with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.