Strong Arms and Accuracy ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I find that if you put your catty sideways on when using it, it doesn't tangle, it's more accurate, you get less miss-fires :)
Des ship cuts his elastics down a bit ,just so the cup sits in the handle if held upright. Dont over fill is another one , and dont try and rush like me lol

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
£2000.......
Not at all Mark, I once took Dave to Monk Lakes, we set up on Lake 4. After a while Dave was heard to remark that sport was slow, the cause was soon revealed , 4 pellets every 5 minutes being fed with great caution, Walking up and grabbing a large handful of his pellets and throwing them in produced the required response..................Dave's eyes rolled back and he fell off his box, once we revived him, got the palpitations under control and put him back on his box he started to catch, not sure that he's ever fully recovered though. 😂🤣

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The worst catapults I've used are the Guru ones - no matter what I did I could not be accurate using one - switched back to my trusty Drennan pults and spot on most times again.

Many years back I had a loop type groundbait pult, 4 elastics on it fastened to a ring rather than a yoke - I swear blind you could land a tangerine sized ball of groundbait on top of your float every time with that, and the range was phenomenal as well

robert d

Site Supporter
The worst catapults I've used are the Guru ones - no matter what I did I could not be accurate using one - switched back to my trusty Drennan pults and spot on most times again.

Many years back I had a loop type groundbait pult, 4 elastics on it fastened to a ring rather than a yoke - I swear blind you could land a tangerine sized ball of groundbait on top of your float every time with that, and the range was phenomenal as well
Drennan team england ,brilliant pults

robert d

Site Supporter

Youl have to try and make one and post a pic or 2❤

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not at all Mark, I once took Dave to Monk Lakes, we set up on Lake 4. After a while Dave was heard to remark that sport was slow, the cause was soon revealed , 4 pellets every 5 minutes being fed with great caution, Walking up and grabbing a large handful of his pellets and throwing them in produced the required response..................Dave's eyes rolled back and he fell off his box, once we revived him, got the palpitations under control and put him back on his box he started to catch, not sure that he's ever fully recovered though. 😂🤣
That was my year's supply of pellets used up in one session :eek:

I remember the day well - Sunday morning set off from Leeds,
dropped daughter #1 and missus off at the O2 Arena,
went to pick Peter up,
toby down further south to Monks,
met up with some Maggotdrowning reprobates :D,
Chinese takeaway on the way back to Peters,
Went to pick daughter and missus up from the O2,
back home to Leeds for around 3:30am,
up at 6:30am and back to work Monday :D

pies

Site Supporter
Im an expert at loose feeding by hand. I can with just two or three chucks feed every fish in my peg up to top kit plus top no matter where they are, and if we include a catty i can feed the whole peg, and as a bonus the birds are normally on the bank behind me just waiting. I kid you not i fished a match before xmas and i got to my peg , stopped pushing the barrow to view my peg turned around and the robin was sat on me box chirping for britian. Cheeky bar steward

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Once I did my shoulder I could only just about throw it to the keepers gloves from the 30 yard circle 😂 Literally cannot do a push up either anymore!

Had its benefits though as I kept alternating between bowling seam and spin before that injury but could essentially only bowl spin after that so made the decision for me going forward from then 😅

It's lucky that fishing doesn't require much shoulder power 👍🏻
I was terrible as a bowler (fast). I got sent to the outfield for bowling at the batsman not the wicket. Also gave away too many runs. Was ok coming in as a middle order hitter.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Was ok coming in as a middle order hitter.
The shoulder injury did for any big hitting for me as well. I remember in one game I hit an left arm spinner over the top for 4 down the ground so their skipper put a man back on the boundary for the catch and said “I dare you to try that again” to which I said “no problem mate as there’s no way I can hit it far enough to reach him”. Sure enough my next move was the same shot falling about 10ft short of the man for a rather extravagant single 😂

Last edited:

commieboy257

Account Locked
big arms but absolutely useless at throwing anything, may as well have a little girl doing it blindfolded.
no better with a catapult, tend to hit my hands more times than not.
I was a pretty good dart player though :unsure: :rolleyes:

ATTICUS FINCH

That was my year's supply of pellets used up in one session :eek:

I remember the day well - Sunday morning set off from Leeds,
dropped daughter #1 and missus off at the O2 Arena,
went to pick Peter up,
toby down further south to Monks,
met up with some Maggotdrowning reprobates :D,
Chinese takeaway on the way back to Peters,
Went to pick daughter and missus up from the O2,
back home to Leeds for around 3:30am,
up at 6:30am and back to work Monday :D
As one of the reprobates who attended said meet at monks ,if I remember Dave did catch a nice tench that day , also remember him laying flat belly down trying to reach the water and my good self grabbing his legs and threatening to push him in . With hindsight I think that it would have erased the memory of using more than seasons worth of pellet in a day .
Peter was egging me on to complete the job but I'm sad to say I bottled it .☹️

Pyffy

Site Supporter
On our club snake lake, when the moorhens or coots see me coming they hear the dinner bell ring and head onto the island in front of me knowing over half my bait will overshoot the mudline no matter what catty I'm using. Quite good at feeding the margins by hand at top 2 to 4 and can just about group a handfull of maggots/pellets to 5 to six meters but any further and every fish and bird within a 13 meter radius is getting fed.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
with no wind - by hand with maggots, casters, hemp .... about 8m accurately.
It's easier to keep it tight with small quantities (half to a dozen).
Technique not strength.

Groundbait - I'm not bad for accuracy (legacy of the days before pole pots) - but do resort to catapult beyond about 30m.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I can throw pellets & balls of groundbait pretty accurately & being a dart player, I get annoyed with myself if the throw isn't accurate.
I'm bloody useless with a catty all of a sudden though. I use a Drennan & keep getting myself covered in maggots or pellets.

Line Clip

Some might know or remember Dave Berrow Midlands top canal angler
I was pegged next to him in a match both on bread punch I was cupping it in whilst he
threw it in small marble size balls , with total accuracy across the canal landing on a dinner plate
every time.
He caught two for every one I had. Brilliant canal angler specially Blood-worm.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
same for me, i always throw under arm as well as its the reverse of my dart throw, more than happy with loose feeding by hand, never measured to be fair as summer is 2+2 and shorter 90% of the time and winter is cupping and toss so will have to wait for spring to see how far but i reckon 8m is a sensible guestimate

Ment to quote Landlord message