Strong Arms and Accuracy ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Loose Feeding....

When Loose feeding, especially maggot and caster, Just how far can you chuck the feed relatively tightly to where your fishing ?

Do you hoof it hard and see it damn near halfmoon right across the peg-swim, or a softer underarmed lob and hope it gets out far enough

Corn or pellets, much easier, Weigh more perhaps, definately not more aerodynamic,

When do you start to look to the catty ?

are you robin hood with that are are you "neighbour-hood"with it ?

Just wondering like ?

Zerkalo

I'm no expert but have found the Drennan Waggler Ranger Catapults to be an absolute joy to use up to 25m if I understand the thread correctly. Otherwise just throwing it, you get to about 8 metres? Hemp never seems to go far enough.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
I constantly surprise myself with the area of water that I can cover with loose feeding by hand or with a catapult. Sometimes some of the maggots go where I’m aiming, mostly not too far away, but sometimes they go absolutely nowhere near my target, generally overshooting by a few yards or more.😂😂😂

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I can't loose feed very far as never had much of an arm before I dislodged ligaments in my shoulder let alone after. All back in place now but not very powerful. Obviously mostly feed under arm which is less effected by it but still inhibits it a bit.

I generally set up short, medium and long lines and I can usually loose feed the short line sat down but usually have to stand up to do the medium line by hand and even then I have to use a catapult to do so particularly accurately. I'm a terrible judge of distance and obviously they vary depending on the venue but the short line is always within a gentle under arm cast and medium line is usually a bit more of an oomphy under arm cast or gentle over arm cast. Long line is generally about as far as I can accurately feed with a catapult which still isn't that far!

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tend to use a sort of underarm flick which works well and is quite accurate, range depending on the weight of loose feed being fed.

Basically grab whatever loose feed into a fist,
lower your fist down with a straight arm,
back of your hand facing the target,
throw your hand out keeping your arm straight
and open your fingers just before your arm hits horizontal - try it and see

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I can group pellets by hand about a top kit and 3 sections then it gets a bit iffy, on the pellet wag I'm not bad up to about 20m with a pult ,maggots and caster forget it with a pult, maybe the same as pellets by hand.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Always in underarm flick as Dave describes. Mainly learnt and used when stick float fishing. Anything beyond 15ft or so I’ll grab the catty unless feeding using groundbait.

Total

Site Supporter
......................................................Basically grab whatever loose feed into a fist,
^^...I just tried that technique, perfect....Half a dozen 6mm pellets just hit me on the bonnet!:oops::p:ROFLMAO:

Cobweb

Site Supporter
When I played cricket I used to get stuck on the boundary fielding as I could throw a cricket ball to the keeper's gloves. Chucking a ball of groundbait isn't too much of a problem but using a catty often results in me wearing the bait . I use the appropriate Guru one for pellets, and a Drennan one for loose feeding maggot and boilies. I do have another Drennan pult for Groundbait balls which will chuck a fair distance accurately- had that one for years

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
When I played cricket I used to get stuck on the boundary fielding as I could throw a cricket ball to the keeper's gloves.
Once I did my shoulder I could only just about throw it to the keepers gloves from the 30 yard circle 😂 Literally cannot do a push up either anymore!

Had its benefits though as I kept alternating between bowling seam and spin before that injury but could essentially only bowl spin after that so made the decision for me going forward from then 😅

It's lucky that fishing doesn't require much shoulder power 👍🏻

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tend to use a sort of underarm flick which works well and is quite accurate, range depending on the weight of loose feed being fed.

Basically grab whatever loose feed into a fist, put a single pellet into the palm of your hand then make a fist
I fixed that for you Dave. :upthumb:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
How do they get down my back 😫
Ha ha blimey that`s a new one, are you firing in the air like a revolutionary?

Only a low powered jobby but my first catty was the Drennan minipult, was fairly accurate with it, so easy to use.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I find that if you put your catty sideways on when using it, it doesn't tangle, it's more accurate, you get less miss-fires :)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Ha ha blimey that`s a new one, are you firing in the air like a revolutionary?

Only a low powered jobby but my first catty was the Drennan minipult, was fairly accurate with it, so easy to use.
Its when ive rushed ,trying to hold a long pole in the wind a few times lol 😆, pole out ,quick fill of maggots in catty fire 🔥, where the feek did the go ,down my back in my cuppa in my bag and a few in the keepnets ,not a single maggot splash