Stroft line

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
I have been using it for hook lengths and odd rigs for some time now, but when fishing dont know many that use it, but seems to to be a few on here that do.
I tend to use preston power for most of my rings, and have a few spools left not wanting to waste it I'll be using it.
But am thinking of swoping to stroft totally, how many use it for rigs and hook lengths, and have you had any problems.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi John,
I found Stroft good for hook lengths but, if I made rigs out of it it's memory was terrible. Off the winder the ' kinks ' were virtually impossible to get out. I've moved over to Guru both for main rig and hook length.

Sam Vimes

On recommendation, I tried some Stroft GTM as mainline many years ago. I think it lasted about three sessions before it was binned. I know a few that love it, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
In the game world it is well respected as a leader material in the higher diameters.
I have used it for both rigs and hook lengths and never had a problem with kinks.
I have had pigtails on occasions tying a hook and after running it between thumb and forefinger it has straightened itself out.
I have also tried the ABR and found this to have a memory like an elephant.

trotter2

As far as tying hook lenghts for non kinks you can't beat old standard lines like bayer perlon or maxima its the most user friendly of anything I have tried.
However if you want low dia stuff I find reflo and stroft the best out there at the moment. Not perfect but as near as I have found.

jpwebster

I use stroft gtm in .12-.18 for hooklengths on most float or bream feeder work, knots well and seems to be the strongest out there for the diameter. I use the ABR in higher diameters .26+ for barbel on the river and it has been a major improvement for me vs sensor or maxima.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I suppose Stroft is one of those portmanteau words. STRong and sOFT.
I've never heard of the stuff.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Stroft was popular mostly in the North East but its use spread about the country as people tried it and liked it or not, Novatech is another used in certain areas in the same way as is Trabucco and Milo lines have a following again mostly regional.

I was thinking of going with Stroft a while ago but took a chance on the Drennan Supplex (Extra Supple) and have been very impressed with it for both strength and memory.

Cheers

Ian

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have been using Stroft for a few years now, as rig and hooklength line, find it to be extremely reliable, abrasion resistant and is strong for its stated diameters, which are as most lines 0.01 above stated, but nowhere near as far out as Powerline.
I used to use Powerline but had a couple of spools where the line didn’t feel even, so binned it and have been with Stroft GTM ever since. I use it from 0.006 up to 0.22.

Last edited: