Strelley Ponds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis

AMBER + BLUE
From the A6002 Woodhouse Way Turn right at the traffic lights into Strelley Village. Follow the road through the Village past the Church on the Right. Approx 200 Metres past the Church there is a left turn onto a Bridleway, follow this track over the Motorway. The entrance to the pond Is on the left just over the bridge. Follow the track to the bottom of the hill.

Darren69

Originally posted by Nemesis

From the A6002 Woodhouse Way Turn right at the traffic lights into Strelley Village. Follow the road through the Village past the Church on the Right. Approx 200 Metres past the Church there is a left turn onto a Bridleway, follow this track over the Motorway. The entrance to the pond Is on the left just over the bridge. Follow the track to the bottom of the hill.

cheers, thank you.

I only live about 10 min drive from it and never knew about the place.
Is it worth paying 39 to Join NOTTS AA to fish it.

Can i fish Margin Pole?

Last edited:

Nemesis

AMBER + BLUE
I have never fished the place to be fair.

I know crowder is a member of the NAA as is Yuccaman.

You are better off asking them for advice mate. [:T]

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Going down in the morning as it happens. It depends entirely on what you want from your fishing as to whether it is 'worth' the 39 (or 32 when you renewand don't have to pay for the joining fee or key). I would describe it as a fairly typical mixed club lake. No NAA water resembles a commercial in terms of stocking. There are a fair few carp in there around the 5-10lb bracket and running up to perhaps low 20s but there is also a good head of decent roach and crucians along with perch and bream. You could easily fish anywhere on the lake with a margin pole - I rarely fish at more than about 8 or 9m when I'm there, and usually closer than that.

Bestwood isn't a million miles from you if you're only 10 mins to Strelley - look brilliant, both my PB carp and pike come from there, but they are notoriously tempremental and difficult to fish. Newlands up in Clipstone, I really like (but Crowder doesn't!!) which is 4 ponds with mixed stock.

For me, what makes it worth the membership is the Trent, which I guess is either your thing or not, but I love it. Let me know if you want any more details.

Darren69

Originally posted by Yuccaman

Going down in the morning as it happens. It depends entirely on what you want from your fishing as to whether it is 'worth' the 39 (or 32 when you renewand don't have to pay for the joining fee or key). I would describe it as a fairly typical mixed club lake. No NAA water resembles a commercial in terms of stocking. There are a fair few carp in there around the 5-10lb bracket and running up to perhaps low 20s but there is also a good head of decent roach and crucians along with perch and bream. You could easily fish anywhere on the lake with a margin pole - I rarely fish at more than about 8 or 9m when I'm there, and usually closer than that.

Bestwood isn't a million miles from you if you're only 10 mins to Strelley - look brilliant, both my PB carp and pike come from there, but they are notoriously tempremental and difficult to fish. Newlands up in Clipstone, I really like (but Crowder doesn't!!) which is 4 ponds with mixed stock.

For me, what makes it worth the membership is the Trent, which I guess is either your thing or not, but I love it. Let me know if you want any more details.

Thank's for the info - i've only just started fishing again after being away from it for about 5 years - i have recently bean Diagnosed with Colitis Disease so i'm not working at the moment and looks like i won't be working allot in the future so i thought of starting my fishing back up.

I live just off Bells Lane so thats why i thought this place is closer than driving to Sherwood Fisheries.

dstev

Dave
I fish Strelley quite alot, probably my favourite venue of the notts anglers waters. There are some monster roach and good crucians, if there up for it you can be on them all day. Carp are quite easy to catch with a floating bait and will often take you by surprise when fishing for other stuff so don't fish too light. One tip from me - don't fish too far out, and fish as tight as you can to the reeds, most of the good roach and crucians hang about here. I normally go no further than 6m out, ignore anyone who tells you to go on long pole.

Darren69

Originally posted by dstev

I fish Strelley quite alot, probably my favourite venue of the notts anglers waters. There are some monster roach and good crucians, if there up for it you can be on them all day. Carp are quite easy to catch with a floating bait and will often take you by surprise when fishing for other stuff so don't fish too light. One tip from me - don't fish too far out, and fish as tight as you can to the reeds, most of the good roach and crucians hang about here. I normally go no further than 6m out, ignore anyone who tells you to go on long pole.

Thank's for the tips [:T]

I only have a 6.8 M Pole so i won't be fishing far out.
I have just took a drive to the pond, had to walk down the dirt track with me not having a key but i'm going to be joining on Monday.

It looks pretty cool - whats the Motorway side like?

dstev

Dave
Shallow, the wood side is deeper. Generally the wood side is fished more for bits and the carp men go on motorway side. Personally I prefer the pegs along side the road, especially the first 3 or 4, but they are usually the most popular too.

Darren69

Originally posted by dstev

Shallow, the wood side is deeper. Generally the wood side is fished more for bits and the carp men go on motorway side. Personally I prefer the pegs along side the road, especially the first 3 or 4, but they are usually the most popular too.

Awesome [:T]

Darren69

I went there yesterday - fished on the road side and enjoyed it.
I had some nice roach, a crucian carp of about a pound.

My float went under and i thought it was bottoms and then i saw my pole elastic kept coming out - i have size 12 elastic on my margin pole.

After a good 30 min i managed to get it in - it was a Mirror Carp, well over 10 pounds maybe 15 but didn't have my scales to weigh it.

All in all it was a fun afternoon, thank's for the tips.

dstev

Dave
Glad you had a good day. I told you those carp catch you by surprise, no inidcation whatsoever and the bites look the same as anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.