Streaming device

Sportsman

Site Supporter
My wife and daughter are desperate to drag me into the 20th century. My wife wants to watch films on the TV and to help her do this she needs to get something called a Netflix. I don't have one of those and I am informed that to get one I need to get a media streaming device. They did ask me if my TV was "smart", but I said "no, it's just black"
Any advice on which media device is best would be appreciated (y)

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Most new TV's come with all the streaming apps loaded, probably better with that than going with the expense and complication (and ANOTHER remote) that comes with having a separate box.

Can get a decent ish smart telly for £300 easy these days.

commieboy257

Account Locked
personally I like NOW Tv sticks, get you everything apart from Amazon Prime video, which tbf is garbage anyways. Plus, if you cancel your subscription (monthly rolling) they offer you something like 6 months for £8. bargain!

Chervil

Site Supporter
Another vote for the firestick, I got one when I did my tv room/library/chill room last winter. Excellent bit of kit.

HawkerMan

Cheapest way is a fire stick. If you get a smart tv you will want a sound bar as well.
If you have a descent tv just get a fire stick and if you use a VPN you can stream anything for free, you tube is your friend

G20

Because my tv isn't a smart tv I bought a ROKU...very reasonably priced ( under £30) Find myself watching mostly you tube on my telly now but have the option of watching films too
...................check it out(y)

davylad

Site Supporter
Cheapest way is a fire stick. If you get a smart tv you will want a sound bar as well.
If you have a descent tv just get a fire stick and if you use a VPN you can stream anything for free, you tube is your friend
Why would I want a sound bar HM, not sure? At £2.50 a week Netflix is ok for me.

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for a Village!
My wife and daughter are desperate to drag me into the 20th century

Given that ended on 31st Dec 2000, you're probably already there!!!!! :unsure: :)

As for the 21st century - the Firestick is good if you have the aforementioned HDMI port.

Last edited:

HawkerMan

Because my tv isn't a smart tv I bought a ROKU...very reasonably priced ( under £30) Find myself watching mostly you tube on my telly now but have the option of watching films too
...................check it out(y)
ROKU is ok but you can't side load apps like on the firestick.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
amazon prime with a amazon firestick, then desert streams and load the app direct onto the stick, updates itself, no kodi or mucking around with the fire stick, cheap and works brilliantly, millions of TV channels and Prime is really good for tv and films as well and i get all my deliveries from amazon fast......win, win, win!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've got what I think is a Smart TV as it has Youtube, Amazon, MUBI and stuff like that on there. But to be honest I watch as many films on my iMac as it has a Retina display, very HD. My sister has a Firestick and sometimes when I go to watch a film with her the net connection will drop out meaning the film buffers. I don't get that problem at home with my TV but sometimes I think she is secretly relieved as it means we have to watch something else instead of my recommendation. :LOL:

davylad

Site Supporter
amazon prime with a amazon firestick, then desert streams and load the app direct onto the stick, updates itself, no kodi or mucking around with the fire stick, cheap and works brilliantly, millions of TV channels and Prime is really good for tv and films as well and i get all my deliveries from amazon fast......win, win, win!
Do you get 4K ginger or is it just 1080?

Stansthirdboy

In Memoriam
There is some good stuff on Netflix, but I qucikly ran ouut of stuff to watch during two lockdowns. Amazon Prime is pants, very short on original stuff, and what there is isn't that good.