Strangers on the Shore !

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Well, my said to Tuppence worth, what shall we do today ?

the small black dog cocks his head in the way that small black dogs do and turns to look at where the going out clothes are hanging,

mout then is it Im asking and the tailey bit provides the answer, mout it is then mate,

slipping his knows over his head, and wrapping the harness around the stocky little body, it didnt take long afore he was at the porch door ready for the off

now the weather outside, looked fine, one of the early spring days where the yellow disc high in the sky to the south of us was doing its best to provide life giving warmth, but there was still a distinct nip in the air

choosing the good old MA-1 jacket ensured that warmth came along with comfort,

haversack loaded with a bottle of water, the bally thing, a knife and a mars bar or two and out the door

where to little mate, ? the question was asked as he took his seat in the trusty T4, or shall we just point and shoot and see where we end up ?

the diesel thrummed into life, and away we went,

the normal left turn at the end of the road was ignored, only for the reason that there was a few motors queueing at the next junction, so down and round past the harbour, up onto the cliff road above wear bay

looked inviting, a glance his way showed he thought the same too, so the slip road down past the rail line was taken

car park was empty, plenty of space, pulling up, himselfs seatbelt was undone and the rush to get out caused the long lead to tangle itself around not only the hand brake and gear stick but the pilots left boot too

struggling with the excited pup and the tangle of inch wide woven nylon tape caused more than a few expletives to rent the air, eventually order is restored and we are out.

sniffing, untold sniffing, the swing gate to the nature reserve must be like mount pleasant sorting office for the canine world, adding his mark we are through and trampimg

to our right is a 100 yard of a mixture of low mounds, bushes and small shrubs, showing the budding of this years new growth before the sea defences begin, the concrete platforms that divert the power of king neptune away afore it hits the soft chalk of the white cliffs, the hard packed cinder path is under our feet, often wondered where all this came from, it must of been laid when this way was just railway land, talkin of which, the iron road on the left starts to sing, that curious whistle and chiming of high pitched notes that denotes a train is acoming

and on the way it was, the noise grew louder and the 100s of tonnes of metal flashed past to our left, blurred faces at the carriage windows and it was gone, off towards the busiest sea port in england, carrying people to who knows where

quiet now, those tiny blue flowers with the little red centres provide colour amongt the shorter grass next the path, pretty little things

he's ahead a distance now, so Ive to speed up, wont go far there much to much to investigate, in and out all over the place,

back on the rough road now, past the rail line works, nobody there, locked and abandoned behind its tall steel fencing, quiet, as we start the long slow plod up and over the hill,

cutting off by the big stone markers, we take the track down towards the sea,

half way down, theres a long dog, heading towards us,

himself stops and watches the fawn brindle hound as he approaches, all is cool and the usual dog introductions are made, try meeting and doing that with another human !

talkin of which, theres no human in sight, looking at the pup, he has a collar, one them whippety things, wider than most, but no knows on it, he seems alright and accepts a stroking and a look over and is quite happy to join the both of us in our adventure

both of em, little and large are off ahead, yours truly dutifully follows,

down to the concrete wall now, a glance both ways still shows no human life ?

bloody hell, wheres this ones owner ?

still its with us and seems to just be content with our company so its off to the left a little way, down the steps and onto the beach

fine old times being had by the both, there a running around like maaaaad dawgs,

plodded along after them, the plan is to look for a few mussel while Im here, bit of wild shopping, dinners for free, though its still early and the plan wasnt quite a working, plenty of small ones but the size thats worth collecting wasnt there,

following the two, the boots squelch through the sand, caught up with them by the fresh water channel, they had stopped for a drinking, so it was decided a smoke break was in order, sat sitting on the remains of a groyne, I took a look around and still no orphan dog owner met my gaze ?

theres a few up on the far beach below copt point, better part of a mile further along, hopefully one of thems alooking

both have come back now, tuppence seems to like him, and the long dogs got some toungue !, hanging down a good six inches out his gob, he looks like hes cared for, and is a fair looking thing all told, the thought went through my head that I was now head of a pack of beasts, doubled up dog owning,

flicking the tab end into a pool, up and on again, both are walking closer now, tuppence stopping to sniff and dig far more often, lol, he knows this is the way back, far more dawdling than dawdling would be needed thus,

up to the pebble beach, theres a lady with a mad springer chasing a ball, asked in passing iffin she had seen anyone looking for the long dog, bit of a chat as all three of em got itamately aquainted and shes of the same view as me about it looked well,

back up onto the wall and through the pathway where hide monsters ! , they have took to grazing highland cattle here in an attempt to keep the scrub down, proper pointy horned beasts they are, useally a half dozen or so, but none in view today, its quite surreal how you can miss seeing them, the ground here is all small hillocks, and just turning a corner you could bump into them,

still the three are onwards and through, the flip gate at the other side proved far to complicated for the sight hound and a hand under the collar was required to see him past it

up past the campsite and onto the final push, not far to the van, dogs on leads now, jury rigged up the long lead to both, tuppence is on the clip and tied the other end too the daft ones collar,

van reached and still no owner, what to do ? cant leave him here now, cast him adrift like, hes gonna have to come with us

well that was a kerfuffle, while he was happy to get in the van he wasnt happy to be in the back, I gave up and the black dogs seat was shared, more tying with the lead provided a sorta seat belt and the key was turned,

back out, turn around and out onto the railway road, now this is one car wide, theres passing places on it,

along past the tracks and the steep drive up the hill is taken, going from sea level to about 400 feet in a mile, a cold engine in the van aint overkeen on it

near at the top when Ive gotta pull over, theres a 4x4 coming down, shogunny thing, he passes, I pull out, back on the gas and theres an almighty racket,

the horns of helm hammerhand reverberate around the cliff edge, WTF !!!!

looking in the rear view the shoguns pulled over and the drivers out waving

stopped again, got out (that was fun with both of em thinking we are getting out again, shouted to the mush to meet me at the top

5 mins later, theres one relieved owner and his mrs claiming back my new dog, turns out, it had run off earlier, she had tried looking for it but lost it, and had to walk to the top of the cliff to get a phone signal to ring her hubby and they were both on the way down when they saw the daft sod on my front seat

quite an adventure

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
Majestic script as always mate and happy ending for a four pawed one.:)

Total

Site Supporter
60 seconds either way and my sofa woulda been full and the facebook dog found page would get a listing

It was interesting your hound somehow knew the lost one needed his help/friendship.....So much we know, but so much we don't understand....

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
It was interesting your hound somehow knew the lost one needed his help/friendship.....So much we know, but so much we don't understand....

Himself is pretty good with other dogs, got far better the older hes got

ATTICUS FINCH

Mick nice little story mate BUT........................was your journey really important ,we are being asked to stay at home unless its for work or shopping ,no car travel to walk your pooch .

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Mick nice little story mate BUT........................was your journey really important ,we are being asked to stay at home unless its for work or shopping ,no car travel to walk your pooch .

it was mid march william, long before the lockdown