Strange fisheries rule?

Chervil

Site Supporter
Just looking at the rules of a fishery near me. Most I can understand, although the bank stick one has me confused. I'm sure it will make sense to the first person on here who reads it, who can then explain it to me:confused:. It's a mixed fishery.

A reminder... We do not allow surface fishing, if you are observed doing it by our wardens you will be instructed to stop or leave.
You also need a mat and net to fish our lakes. If you forget yours we hire them out from the shop.
We are also phasing out the use of bank sticks, which will be banned at the beginning of 2020.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Perhaps they are going to hire them out aswell.
Can’t think of a valid reason myself but I’m sure someone will enlighten us. Wouldn’t give the fishery the time of day myself,however good it is.

PAB

Site Supporter
ripping the bank up maybe? needs to be fixed to your box / chair?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Unless the banks are heavily under-cut and over eager digging in with bank sticks looking for a solid hold has caused the banks to slip in places or people using a bank stick for a bit of gardening under the guise of finding a solid hold.

tyne angler

ive been on lakes where some have complained about the noise of people using a mallet are hammer to stick them in the ground not that it has ever bothered me

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
ive been on lakes where some have complained about the noise of people using a mallet are hammer to stick them in the ground not that it has ever bothered me
Why on earth would you do that, unless you are casting 40yds+ away from your bank?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Why on earth would you do that, unless you are casting 40yds+ away from your bank?

I use a chair for all my fishing but have no accessories, so bank sticks are my only option to rest the the rod on. I also use a rest for my bait waiter.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I always use a bank stick as well as they are a lot more flexible positioning wise than chair attachments not to mention you can get away with a lighter chair.

Chervil

Site Supporter
If I use my accessory chair or new feeder chair I will often use a feeder arm, but to be honest, often prefer bank sticks. A lot of people don't have the option of attaching arms etc to a chair. I will contact them at some stage and ask why.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
No stink bags for a fishery near me. I got asked to remove my wet bag for landing net! Same fishery that says nets must be dipped and then has no net dip!

lp1886

The root cause of bank erosion isn’t the banksticks. Maybe they should ban the wind blowing to stop the water crashing into them.

Ted Crilly

Dunno why anybody persists in using the pointy types tbh Since my return to fishing i've never used anything else than the screw-in type, bring a flat blade (they dig in easier) old screwdriver poke it in the ground, waggle it around a bit to cone the hole, screw in the stick, done! none of that hammering and swearing etc.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use a chair for all my fishing but have no accessories, so bank sticks are my only option to rest the the rod on. I also use a rest for my bait waiter.
I was talking about hammering them in, not using them. Fish swim away from shocks, that’s the point I was making.

PAB

Site Supporter
Have a look at these not to expensive and dam good.

ukzero1

Site Supporter

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Hmm, Rod Pods only......which we can hire from the shop if you forget yours :ROFLMAO:

Hmm, rod pod...there's a thought. There's also those small tripods...

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
On a smallish pond, I have had sessions ruined when I have crept quietly into position, started feeding a swim up and caught some nice fish, only to have it ruined by some berk jumping down the steps into a nearby swim, dumping his gear and then using a lump hammer to bash banksticks / umbrella poles in.
It's one thing to push a bank stick in to a soft grassy bank, but please don't bray them into a solid, gravelly bank in the peg next to me!
:mad: