strange days Indeed

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Been back at work for a couple of weeks, so only the weekends have been free for hooching a bait out

bossman who I subby too on the schoolwork throughout the summer, gave me a shout as to a fair few doors that needed uprating in a christian charitys old folks home, only thing was it was an early morning tramp away, over to Tonbridge Wells, but being as he said he would give me a firms T shirt so I wouldnt get mixed up with the residents and he would sov for the deisel, I gave him the nod and agreed to a bit of gainful,

64 doors later, Ive finished, been a tad more than the week he quoted on it, my balls having been dragging on the floor, not only have we had a hot plume, they kept the heating on at 28 bloody degrees, easing, adjusting, removing and carrying 60 minute fire doors, all 33" x 78" up and down 3 floors prior to machining grooves for and fitting brushstrip in the edges, then carrying em back and rehanging has proper brain and body fried me,

residents were a craic, one old boy come out of his room early doors and compared me to a german paratrooper, and In passing the notice board, I saw that some kind soul had written, please pray for the builder working on our home, felt quite touched about that, the assistants also felt sorry for the sweat covered hairy arsed chippy and kept me supplied with cold orange juice, (not squash the proper stuff, near all my 5 a day,

still I digress, get back to it Micky

had a text on monday, from our esteemed leader of the medway trotters

" Chart Sutton coarse pond on sunday, to book a peg......................"

text sent and booked on, 8.15 draw, nice and easy, not to early a get up and only 60 mile round trip

Chart Fishery

feeling lazy saturday, I pondered my tactics whilst bumming around, I had run a match on this very pond a couple years ago and the bigger weights and winner had bunged a feeder to the island, so that was it,

dug the two 11ft tip rods out, bunged the no2 tips on them, and set em up ready style in the hardcase, both fitted with 4000 stradics, 8lb daiwa sensor, one with a drennan 4 square cage feeder, 12 inch hooklength and a drennan carp bandit size 16 hook, the other had a preston small 15g method feeder on it, with the centre rib removed, this had a drennan quickstop size 16 as the sharp bit

off to the shed, closely followed by a small black dog, he knows whats in that shed, sat against the back wall are the bait tubs, a plethora of different sized airtight containers, maybe 30 of em, I had inherited loads when a good mate had died a few years back, his mum and sister gave them to me along with his watch, each tub contained various groundbait mixes, pellets of every size and flavour, pure fishmeal, etc, plus the stuff Ive aquired elsewhere

filling a 3 pint tub (and a small dog) with 8mm skretts, and another with 4mms, that was the main bait requirements dealt with, another 3 pint tub was filled with 6mm tutti fruttis as an option and a search through the GB's found two bags of Marukyu 131, sorted !

digging out, some soft pellets, couple cans green giant, and a tin of plumrose and the prep had been done, back to vegging out

Morning dawned, an hour of buggering about saw the coffee made, fags rolled, dog attended to, and the van loaded, as a afterthought, I stuck the pole in too, hedging my bets,

calling up to herself, have a good fish was heard and I softly closed the door, there was a real heavy dew almost a misty rain, required the old wipescreen winders on the way to the sign of the golden arches, where I swear I was discombobulated and bamboozeled by the unseen voice, ending up with two breakfast meals a coffee and 2 orange juices, close on a tenner spent, still not sure how that worked out,

munching on em as the trusty T4 took the on ramp to the motorway, the journey to the county town turnoff passed uneventfully, swinging onto the road past the worlds most beautiful castle, kent in the spring was really shoved into your face, all the minor road journey through leeds and langly was a riot of colour, I do love this time of year,

off onto an even minor road, downhill steep and windey, reaching the fishery gate after a couple of miles, out and open the gate, drive through, out and close it, a fishery rule, 300 yard later, thinking Im an hour early, I pull into the carpark to find loads already there, well bugger me

bit of a meet and greet, few faces I hadnt seen for a while, smiles and shakey hands, and a catch up, bit of info as a few had fished a wednesday club match on it this week and it was time for our erstwhile leader to gather us for the draw,

in went the paw of chance, out came a disc, a good one, an island chuck, peg 7, lucky for some, smiling even more

not to bad a walk either, soon reached, the preston pram was unloaded, seting up the venerable boss box showed a right pretty peg, to my left a point of reeds going out around the top 4 length from the bank, to my right, a tree with sunken branches leaning out over the water, the point of the island was 45 yard away, easy chuck, behind me I had 2 big old silver birches, covered in catkins with two pollared apple trees smothered in blossom next to them,

setting up the two rods took seconds, side trays, bait boxes, groundbait mixed (131 has got to be the easiest mix ever, just follow the instructions) nets in, what to do now ?

out came the pole, three topkits loaded with NG hollo black elastic 12-16 NG Amber Core Hollow Pole Elastic 12-16, 2.4mm, Black – Float Store

all fitted with carbon copy rigs of a NG slim gimp 0.5 fibre stemmed float, 0.14 rig line, all deep bulked with 2 no10 stotz droppers, drennan carp bandit hooks to 2 of em, drennan wide gape carp to the other, all in size 16

a 4th kit was set up to fish to hand at top 3 and short 4 for the resident rudd and roach if all else failed Ng dark blue hollo NG Micro Bore Hollow Pole Elastic 4-8, 1.5mm, Blue – Float Store

NG finesse 0.5 glass stemmed float, and finished with a size 18 silverfish pellet hook

that and a quick wander took up the time before the whistle, we were to fish a 6 hour match, consisting of two 3 hour sessions with a half time weigh in, quick break then back to it finishing around 4.30-5pm, a full day

the sun had got up by now, warm, in fact very pleasant, I was clad in a polo shirt over a T shirt and was feeling the heat already, big hat on and here we go

out went a big handfull of soaked 4mm pellet on the top 4 line and out went the pole, I had to smile to myself, so much for fishing a feeder match, I doubt if the fast falling 8mm pellet had even hit the bottom before the arbon was nearly ripped from my hands, Banzaiiiiiiii

kin ell, I had hooked a torpedo as the black rubber streamed out the topkit, heading off towards the centre of the pond at a rate of knots, dipping the tip a foot under the surface felt the pressure lessen as it turned, but turned where, miles of laccy was cuting through the water heading left,, then right, then back out again, Bloody hell !

5 minutes passed before I even had an element of control, and I had still not seen the fish, another few minutes saw the water boil and a golden flank was exposed as it surfaced and dived again, eventually, the beast tired, and I needed a bigger net, only half getting the fish head first into the waiting weave, the shaft of the middy extra strong handle bent alarmingly before i had it out and resting between my knees, bloody hell again

a common, proper gold coloured, tail like ships rudder sat in the net, unhooking it carefully, I was sweating, better part of 10lb, a quarter of my normal match weights in one fish ! lifting it over the waiting keepnet, Disaster, I only bloody missed the opening and dropped the fish back in the oggin, laughed, I near split my sides, you stupid old bugger, all that for nowt

back out, more feed, and in again, this time it was another common, 3 to 4lb in weight, bit more careful this time as a satisfying spladoosh was heard ,

out again, the float settled 5 mtrs out, and whacked under, a bite as fierce as hades dog, off across the lake again, five pound mirror this time, dark black almost in colour, towed me around for ages again, after netting him, I was off the box and inside it looking for the bungs wire hook,

pulling it out the no3, saw me winding a few more turns on the stora bung, before shipping out again, hopefully the laccy would be tensioned properly this time, honestly it didnt make much difference, each fish was a tug of war, my arm was aching, not being used to this,

had a rest and a coffee break, and a quick look up around the pegs in veiw, seemed everyone was into a fish, Nick to my right and Mark to my left were pulling them in like there was no tomorrow, fish after fish, there was no way I was going to keep up, dean on the opposite peg was baggin too, everywhere I looked, landing nets were going in or laccy stretching out

I looked at the feeder rods, looked.....................

and went back out on the silvers kit with a grain of corn on, every handfull of damp pellet I had fed had been met by a mass of rudd, i wasnt even sure if owt was getting to the lake bed there was that many, I could see some proper ones amongst them though and what the hell, if you dont try, you will never know, had a few, but also had a few carp, that was even more fun, I shoulda brought water skis,

3 hours passed and a whistle echoed round the lake for the end of the first session, I was glad, jeez that had been manic,

along came the scales, just three pegs had weighed before they reached me, I had thought I wasnt doing bad, I think I had around 75lb only to see that Steve had over 300lb, so did Del, and Nick had also doubled me, with Mark on over 200lb, IN JUST 3 HOURS !

it went like that for the next session, everyone taking fish after fish, what caused it I dont know, it was a real feeding frenzy, normallly a good weight is around 200lb on this pond, weds match was won with about 130-140lb

this was phenominal, come the final whistle, there was 3 nets over 600lb, a couple 400, host of 300lb and even I weighed in 170lb for my best ever personal match weight

lessons learnt, my carp rigs and hoolengths are too light, I got smashed 4 times, leaving two whole rigs and a number of hooklengths in the reeds , I broke a no 3 holding the top kit high while trying to net a fish

and I need to learn the secret of getting carp in as quick as the others do, whilst the fight is nice, it was knackering throughout the day

the only other time Ive ever seen fishing like it was rolfs lake years ago

weigh sheet Stephen Peters

total weight of fish caught by 15 anglers was 5, 174lb at an average weight of 345lb per angler

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Great read as always Mick, would have loved to be sat behind watching you, bet it was well entertaining.:LOL:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Great read as always Mick, would have loved to be sat behind watching you, bet it was well entertaining.:LOL:

remember that quote by Rosie at Hartleylands that day, "its just like catching roach down the canal, but bigger"

Doverover

Great write up Mick as usual Amazing weights as you say it was usually around 150lb to frame However I've not fished it for years

DFL

Site Supporter
Mick, as a non match angler may I ask, is a venue like Chart favoured by match anglers?

I fished there in my first season of fishing three years ago, caught the first fish whilst plumbing up and the fish only stopped coming when I stopped for a cuppa, fun soon turned to boredom, not been back since.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mick, as a non match angler may I ask, is a venue like Chart favoured by match anglers?

I fished there in my first season of fishing three years ago, caught the first fish whilst plumbing up and the fish only stopped coming when I stopped for a cuppa, fun soon turned to boredom, not been back since.

I cant speak for any others, but it is not my normal style of match angling, 9 times out of 10 you will find me on silvers matches or venues that hold a good head of silvers, rarely do I fish for carp on commercial venues, it was a club match and I was there really for the company of some right nice fellas and a good day out

notwithstanding that, I find Chart a strange place, if you sat there on a pleasure session, you would have a good day, catching commons and mirrors to a decent size, I doubt very much if you would catch like last sunday, that was a one off, but a good day none the less with a decent amount of bites and some hard fighting fish, what more could you ask for from a well kept and tended semi natural style day ticket fishery, car parking is safe, theres toilets if you need them, baliff does his job well, its clean and tidy and reasonably cheap ??

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Great read once again Mick - I'll let you off for not including photos as it sounds like you were a tad busy :D

Blanks

Site Supporter
Great write up as usual. ahh a picture of the Black dog, just as I had imagined.

Hathers

Re registered myself just to red your blogs Mick, that looked a manic day.......maybe see you with Trots on BH Monday

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Although not a match angler I felt your pain regarding the lost carp at the beginning, at least it didn`t cost you the match now
that would have been painful.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My old man was a stoker in the Royal Navy and the mobs name for a stoker was HAS..... Hairy Arsed Stoker and as the son of a hairy arsed stoker... and I have a hairy arse I'm eminently qualified