Strange...but true

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Boss

Fishing at weekend on the waggler. Usual script float goes under...strike..expect my twenty something 1lb skimmer...but no.........................feels like something smaller...roach maybe.........NO. Puzzled expression must have been priceless.

Landed a FROG....lip hooked (probably foul hooked). Never had that happen before. Strange but true.

Anyone ever caught anything else weird or wonderful????

Thom

just the other week had a frog latch onto a piece or corn/pellet and it didnt even give me a bite, i thoguth id caugth a leaf at first until a lad stated waht it was, it dropped off soon after

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
[:D][:D][:D] I wish Id have seen that mucker. I would have cracked up.
Could you teach my mate Ken how to catch one for next Sunday please ???[:D]

stikflote

Site Supporter
at a lake in Swannington a couple weeks ago, one chap in far corner, was catching frogs all the time ,he got so micked off he said enough im going to another lake

Hatman

Drawbag ace
I've had a problem with suspected crayfish bites making fishing on the bottom impossible, but I've never actually managed to hook one. Maybe another MD member has? I nearly caught the sea version of a crayfish, a lobster, but it let go :-(

Benji

Account Locked
Not something but something odd, last sunday, was fishing up in the water with a dibber, and a long blue fly, not a full size dragon fly, but something similar, when I laid my rig on the water, it grabbed the float, and started to remove it from the water.

jus lumps

Yeah i've had a few crayfish in my time. [:(!]

Awful things. Snapping away & bubbling & foaming at the mouth when you bring them in. Soon let go when you clout them with your catapult.
My fishing mate takes them home & cooks them in a pot. He says they're just like lobster. [xx(]

mrhaze

crayfish are lovely to eat...but always good to note that catching them and keeping them without a licence is an offence...as is using them whole or partly as bait...the kennet is plagued with them in some spots and i've always wanted to trap them but the club that controls it don't allow you too.

JOHN_M

Some-one once caught a Terrapin in our club pond on single red maggot !

Huge thing, as big as a dinner plate !

G2LAndrew

Wandering Angler
The water I used to manage in Reepham back in the 80s was full of North American Signal Grey Crayfish, they used to wander around all over the place and they made fishing on the bottom impossible. The trick to catching them was not to strike, just to pull the rod tip upward.

In the South Holland Main Drain my Granddad and I have had flatfish, the odd crab, shrimps and swan mussels.

I haven't ever caught a Terrapin but at High Town Lake in Poulner (near Ringwood) a big one used to bob up next to the float sometimes.

CJROSCOW

Clint
I caught a 5lb terrapin on double hair rigged sweet corn when fishing for bream on blackpool stanley park lake afew weeks ago. It came in nodding just like a big bream. It weeded it self so-I sh*t myself when I cam to uncover this big ball of weed in my landing net and a huge black, yellow and red head popped out!

JOHN_M

Something to note here, if you catch a Terrapin mind your fingers they are quite capable of biting through bone.

phil-k

Originally posted by newies_maggots

ive caught a perch on corn

So Have I.[:D]Last Sunday in fact 'up in the water'

Also caught a tiny pike on corn once.[:0] jaw-dropper.gif

Hatman

Drawbag ace
An eel on a long lure(size 8 longshank, 1.5 inches), when fly fishing for trout well up in the water in a reservoir.

I'm keen to catch a crayfish now, they sound worth seeing if they are as ugly as benji is reputed to be! Thanks for the 'don't strike' tip Andrew.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Pike on strawberry luncheon meat, seen terrapins but caught none, in the canal, caught a few flat fish from the canal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.