Stowe Pool - Lichfield

Goughybagsup1

Well it's been a been a quiet 3 days fishing so far this week , out on wergs Monday fishing the lures for some pike and bog perch 3 hours resulted in not takes whatsoever,

Tuesday NY eve was another quiet day at wergs this time feeder fishing had 1 bream around 5lb first cast then no bites for the rest of the session,

Wednesday NY day I could not resist a return visit to Stowey 😂 my 5th visit over the Christmas week. I did say in a previous post I can never rule the place out and it's sad to say that it was another desperate day with virtually no bites at all. This time myself and Martin fished to the right of the footbridge where I had caught them the previous pleasure session before sundays match. Unfortunately they just were not there.

Although it's difficult to understand at times it is interesting to see how 2 days the conditions can be exactly the same yet the results are totally opposite end of the scale. I'm never one for making excuses really but I do like to try and understand and this pattern makes me think that the weather conditions do play a part but I cant help feeling were missing something, theres got to be a reason those fish wont feed other than weather conditions if two days the same produce differant results.

Do the fish move around the lake more than we think in the winter because on commercials they can sit on one peg for the whole winter. Stowe most definatly isnt like that one day you can catch them one end or the venue and another day another end and blank where you did yesterday and so on.

Interesting business anyway heres a couple of pics form Stowe this week.

20200101_115224.jpg 20200101_115221.jpg

Goughybagsup1

Quiet few weeks on Stowe i would say !! Nobody been fishing it much, I have been busy planning the 2020 air ambulance charity match on there later in the year hopeful to get a few visits down there in a few weeks time. Hopefully once feb is out the way the fishing should start to pick up a bit.

Goughybagsup1

Well last weekend was a bit of a growler weather wise, Saturday the wind howled at me and martin at coppice and after forgetting my rods and not being able to hold even 2 sections of pole I gave it up as a bad job after fishing for just an hour, not great!
Sunday was a differant day entirely and my good friend Pally was there to offer a much welcomed change of venue and a new one to tick off the list for me halfway between a natural and a forgotten pleasure Fishery we went off to a lovely set of lakes near telford junction 4 of the m54.
We fished the silvers lake to avoid upsetting to many carpers whilst fishing for bream and a what a surprisingly lovely days fishing we had !! I've weighed just under 25lb of bream and skimmers fishing a cage feeder to nearly half way across the lake probably 40 turns of the reel. Pally has weighed 16lb also bream and skimmers and a bonus 4lb pike on a float for good measure.
Not a story from Stowe understood but never the less a welcome refreshment before heading back out to Stowe on the 26th.theres a plan for a hand full of us to head down to Stowe next sunday and have a go ! One or two fish could be moving about or not we shall see.
Tomorrow sees me and martin out on Jamie's coppice for the next winter match no good draws or success so far so hopefully for tomorrow and having got fed up of commercial pole fishing already I've taken a chance and set myself up a little bomb rod and a wag !! Wish me luck because I think I'm gonna need it but not that it matters as I'm well behind on points by a mile and it will be nice to have a few sandwiches and a flask of tea on the go instead of having to hold the pole biteless for 5 hours :)
Heres a few pictures from last sunday over telford and I shall be sure to post some info and updates on our stowey adventure next sunday 26th.
20200112_094921.jpg 20200112_155836.jpg 20200112_155535.jpg

Goughybagsup1

Well it's only monday and already I can feel myself wishing the days away until the weekend comes !! Off down stowey on sunday for a go very much looking forward to it going to have a play with a new rod and reel I've purchased let's just hope theres a few bites to be found !! 👌

Goughybagsup1

Thought I would mention the 2020 stowe charity match for the air ambulance has gone live on matchmans diary ! Were capping the match at 35 and have 28 booked on already on its first day live !! Book your place now if you want to take part it's due to be a great one !!

20200121_113657.jpg

Goughybagsup1

Well me and paul alldritt have been on the mecca of perch fishing today at stowey ! No bites till 1 o'clock then the tip nudges for paul hes had one perch for 1lb 12oz then 3 minutes later I've had a wrap around and a perch, I've then gone about 40 minutes a nudge every chuck but couldnt connect with most of them although I've managed to hook and land a further 2 smallish perch and weighed 3 fish for 2lb 1oz 💪 heroic win I'm remarkably happy as I honestly believed a blank was on the cards today but stowey didnt let us down the fish have started to settle down this afternoon in the dropping pressure mark my words by tuesday it will be fishing well !! 🥰 class !! Love stowe so much!

Goughybagsup1

Well with some ropey weather this last 5 days it's been a tough decision what to do this coming weekend, the poundlanders had planned a trip on the mighty river severn but high water has meant it's just not viable,
Instead a few of is have decided on a day out down bailys pool in search of some of its lovely bream. Lets hope we have a few bites this weekend .

Goughybagsup1

Today is the kind of day I wish I had the balls to go and have a go on stowey ! Absolutly chucking down and blowing a hooler!! I bet you would catch if you could cast in the same place twice!!

Goughybagsup1

Well with the weather picking up the last 3 days I decided to take a trip down Stowey yesterday with martin ! We fished the parchments pegs right in front of the steps. Normally a good area it was 3 hours without a bite for either of us and then my tip went round I've had 2 perch in 2 chucks before hooking what I thought was a proper bream. I've played this fish in steady as I honetly thought one of Stoweys crown jewels had been hooked and I wasn't wrong ! It wasn't a bream but a dog perch graced my net and weighed 3lbs 8oz superceeding my previous Stowe record of 3lbs 4oz a few years back very happy bunny! Although I've only had 4 fish in total and martin blanked it's been a long while since I walked away from Stowey with such a big smile on me chops ! I'm hoping that the place will be on the up and this is the start of better things to come for 2020 we just need a bit of the warm stuff !!
Hit every bite because you never know which one will be your last !!
Peace out !!

20200307_164131.jpg

Goughybagsup1

Well I feel its probably only right to comment on this awful time on our much loved Stowey journal. So the Cornona virus has taken hold all over the world, Boris Johnson has been hospitalised on an intensive care unit and in the meantime China reports zero deaths in the past 24 hours from the virus. One things for sure this virus has already killed in excess of 70,000 people globally and a further 1m or more are still infected. This is the most horrific virus in modern history and for the first time since the 2nd world war here in the UK were all confined to our homes and not allowed to leave other than to collect essential food medicine or carry out essential front line work. But what does this mean for the sport that we all love and miss so dearly?
Well it means that were all home preparing, tieing hooks, trying to keep our spirits alive. Dreaming of a day where we might be able to venture out back on the bank, hoping in some subconscious thoughts that it might be sooner than we think, only being 3 weeks into this lock down its difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel, a further 3 weeks is almost certain with the potential for it to go on much longer than that.
I should imagine that the fish all over the country are sitting their wondering where all the anglers are hoping that we might be silly enough to come back and throw some food in for them at some point soon.
The fish should be getting ready for a spawn in the next few weeks with temperatures tomorrow reaching 18 to 22 degrees, it's that time of year when we love so much to see the shoals of bream rocking up in the shallows at natural venues spawning all along the banks, that time when we start to think about taking a layer off when fishing and feeling a bit of warm sun on our skin.
It seems that all this will just have to be a distant memory atleast for a while. Atleast when we do manage to get back out we will all be prepared in a way that we never have been before ! :) Its a strange feeling to know that nature goes on without us, almost highlights our insignificance and the things we take for granted ! I know I'd give anything for a days fishing at the moment but we will all just have to try and find some positivity in the anticipation of our first day back on the bank together!
Friends ....... until we meet again !!
Hit every bite ! You never know which one will be your last ! (How true has that turned out to be) !

Trevor B

Site Supporter
There is a strong rumour that Stowe is the proposed venue for a planned " virtual " fishing match - hopefully a full report will be submitted here soon ?