Stowe Pool - Lichfield

Goughybagsup1

Ive decided to brave a potential blank on Stowe tomorrow in an attempt to get them interested in a bit of bait before the weekend. I feel it might be a tough venture tomorrow but we shall see !! I've only got half a kilo to last me 3 days fishing so they ain't having many free offerings this week !

Goughybagsup1

Well merry Christmas to one and to all !! I've had a soul searching week on stowey ! With the lead up to a Christmas knock up on there this coming Sunday 29th still open of anyone would like to join us !

Christmas eve I've fished the point pegs and had absolutly no bites what so ever , some young lads turned up with lure rods and started catching some perch a bit further down the bank on the old pegs. The perch are renowned for taking lures on there all year around but the roach and the skimmers seemed to have gone into winter hiding again happens every year.

I just couldn't let Stowe get the better of me so I returned yesterday for a 2nd go. This time I decided that potentially there could be some perch on the back of the rocky ledge only trouble is there you cant fish a feeder quite that close to them because you will get locked up every cast. So for this line I took the pole with me. I've fished for probably 4 hours 2 on the pole and 2 on a feeder for absolutly no bites. What a shame.

Stowe can get to the best of people at hard times like these and it's tough to take 2 blanks in a week on stowe because we all know theres so many fish in there when it fishes it's a puzzle where they all disappear to this time of year. My theory has been that they sit in the upper layers but I've tried several methods to catch them there too and had no such luck.

Well with the match draw at 8.30 tomorrow it seems theres just one day left to find some heart to take the impact of another blank tomorrow or find a bloody way to get a bite. Some may say that tomorrow could be won purely on a whoever has a bit of luck but I prefer to think of it as the ultimate test of watercraft ! May the best man win !

There could be a few blanks guys. !

20191227_083940.jpg 20191227_083933.jpg 20191227_110433.jpg

Total

Site Supporter
@Goughybagsup1 .....Reads like a tough couple of tough sessions Lucas....Am wondering if It was one session too many preceding the match there on the 29th?....(Creating negative feelings/too much expectation/too much of good thing etc etc).....Reminds me of my docks so much and what you're experiencing in winter and also understand you wanting to find answers/solutions etc....All the things that make us want to go back and try again. .....Saying that, one can learn nothing sitting indoors.... :giggle:

Enjoy the match tomorrow, the banter and company....Sometimes catching fish is a bonus!.....Happy New year to all please. Thank you. (y)

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
Lucas if anyone can catch it’s you pal. Good luck in the match. Look forward to seeing how you get on.
Tight lines pal Simon

Goughybagsup1

Total u thought possibly it has broken me and one day to many also ! But against all my instincts I bit the bullet and went back in search of those answers today! I just simply had to find some fish because I hate putting 9 or 10 anglers on pegs where I know there are no fish !!

Fortunately for the sake of my soul I found a few answers today!! It seems the fish have reversed their usual annual retreat to the deeper water. They did head down there in October and remained for a few months but today I just had to risk it and head back to the usual summer pegs where you can find about 13ft of water maximum.

I've started at 11am later tha normal time also so that may have helped but I've not had a single bite for 2 hours the tip hasnt shuddered once! Then at 1.15 on the dott and with my pal jamie standing next to me I've missed a bite. Frankly I think that it had been so many hours / days since I had a bite I didnt know what to do or how to react. I've left it for a further few minutes and nothing so recast only for the same thing to happen again. 3rd cast I've struck at the bite and into my first fish in atleast 13 hours of fishing and 3 sessions. ! Overjoyed wasnt the word, I've played it in and landed a smallish to medium sized perch for Stowe and quickly cast again in anticipation !!

Then for the next 2 hours I've literally had a bite every bloody chuck I just couldnt get the tip to stay still I've missed tons of bites and I think simply there were just far too many fish in the swim for me to sort some hooked fish out but never the less I've managed to hook and land around 15-18 fish most of which were perch along with 2 pretty decent stamp roach !!

I cannot explain in words how surprised but truly overwhelmed I have been to finally sort a few winter fish out on Stowe after such hard sessions !! Not a big bag of fish by Stowe standards but a ray of sunshine and hope for tomorrow and the coming weeks that a few fish might graze over an area without disappearing too much.

It just shows that fish dont always behave how we expect them to and although patterns are important to understand it's clear that sometimes they can be reversed maybe a small change in pressure or wind direction or a drop in water level of a few inches can just cause the fish to back off to an area of the lake you wouldnt expect them to be.

Whatever the outcome of tomorrow all I can say is that I feel ive learnt something but more importantly I've done everything I can to try and put me and my pals on a few pegs where there just might be a chance of a few fish !!

Happy days !! Hit every bite ! You never know which one will be your last !!

Probably 6-7lb ot lovely Stowe pool perch and roach caught today.
20191228_155430.jpg 20191228_155414_052.jpg

Goughybagsup1

@Goughybagsup1 .......Well done. Good result. (y)(y)....Tomorrow's another day...."Broken me?"......Your interpretation, not mine ......Be lucky

Yes my interpretation total ! Just realised it said u instead of I! 😂 yea I thought it had broken me ! ....... maybe it has !!! ....maybe this is all a dream ! We shall see tomorrow ! I can't wait to see my old pal gutsy for a bank side cuddle and a cup of tea !! Gutted you couldnt make it bricky it's going to be the northern soul midlands epicenter tomorrow with gutsy ! You will be missed !

Peace out !

bricky72

Site Supporter
Yes my interpretation total ! Just realised it said u instead of I! 😂 yea I thought it had broken me ! ....... maybe it has !!! ....maybe this is all a dream ! We shall see tomorrow ! I can't wait to see my old pal gutsy for a bank side cuddle and a cup of tea !! Gutted you couldnt make it bricky it's going to be the northern soul midlands epicenter tomorrow with gutsy ! You will be missed !

Peace out !
What missed like toothache

gutsy will make up for us as he is prepared after today’s epic match so he be all guns blazing with his 16 tourny /slr s ready to break Stowe

Goughybagsup1

What missed like toothache

gutsy will make up for us as he is prepared after today’s epic match so he be all guns blazing with his 16 tourny /slr s ready to break Stowe
If anyone can crack the code gutsy can !! What a bloke he is my man crush !! 100% pure northern monkey muscle !!

Gutsy

Didn't have a bite today , waited all day for Stowe legend Alan Hart to come and put me right but the starter motor on his scooter must have given up the ghost ☹️ Sat watching Robbo Nudd catch all day after entertaining the man with the maneating dog for the first half hour .

Trevor B

Site Supporter
Gutsy , You fished your socks off today for Zero bites . Stowe can be a cruel mistress but you gave it your best shot .

The match win by Robbo and my second place certainly go against the Bookies odds but reflect a high level of watercraft ( IMHO ) ;)

Goughybagsup1

Fantastic performance from robbo, trevor b and jamie tarpaulin ! Awful fishing today on Stowe again but atleast only one person blanked.

I've fished a terrible match today missing 4 bites, landing just one perch and losing a bigger fish at the net ! You just cant win them all !! 3 days left before it's back to the rat race and I just cant decide what to do !! I'm doubtful for a 5th visit to Stowe in 7 days but I never rule the place out :) happy days !!

Well done robbo you were a hero today my new man crush!! Gutsy sorry mate but you let me down today off the pre baited flyer that I fished yesterday! banker peg with all the fish in !! 🤦‍♂️ better luck next time mate and thanks for coming its lovely that you have traveled to spend a day with is mate on a serious note !! We will return the favor at some point in the new year I'm sure you and bricky can find a few fish for us to catch somewhere and a few of us will travel over!!

Stunning scenes on Stowe today what amazing weather and like I say robbo !! WHAT A BLOKE !!!!! MATCH WINNER CHICKEN DINNER !!! WELL DONE MATE !!

20191229_153803.jpg 20191229_151535.jpg 20191229_143526.jpg

Goughybagsup1

Gutsy , You fished your socks off today for Zero bites . Stowe can be a cruel mistress but you gave it your best shot .

The match win by Robbo and my second place certainly go against the Bookies odds but reflect a high level of watercraft ( IMHO ) ;)
A high level of water craft was displayed today well done trev and robot robbo! Bloody heroes!!