Stowe Pool - Lichfield

pellet grinder

01/04/11 - 10/02/16
In Memoriam
Clearly a red letter day for Willie - Guess I need to get to Stowe pretty fast for a lesson from the master. Any chance of geting on the Sensas matches? Who do I need to ring for a ticket?
Originally posted by chappo

Mr A rang to say he had another 5 bream and 11 skimmers after I'd left - they'll be a waiting list for the pegs tomorrow............OK it was 7 hours but a great weight of silvers on a venue that can break your heart.

chappo

Despite bright and only mild wind yesterday (the weather - not me), the normally dormant puddle continues to fish its socks off with skimmers a plenty!Fishing an open ender at just 20yards I had three casts without an indication and then a bite a chuck for just 4 hours and 40lb. Although they are still very tentative plucks and pulls if you are happy to sit on your hands its a joy to fish. Simple red maggot or treble pinkie accounted for 40ish skimbos and a handful of roach and perch including one redfin over a pound. Had the feeling that a bit of corn or big piece of worm would have sorted the big bream out if I'd have had some to try!Had to knock off at 6.00pm too - shame.
One better bream only - 3lbish - but a load of fish as soon as the tip was set.
Don't know the last time I fished a 16 at Stowe with confidence - it happened yesterday.
Really would like to fish a slider at the same distance but have the feeling that any bait thats being put in via a catty would bring them up in the water (even gb) - the tip felt right yesterday. Didn't clip up too - used tippex on line at 20 yards as marker and let the feeder free fall to the deck rather than go round in an arc - worked a treat.
Misc joggers tend to break your concentration at the moment with the weather so fab - another bonus:))

chappo

Harder today - didn't fish but mates had to scale right down to attract a few. Always difficult to jusge the amount of feed when its bright or calm - are they there and feeding cautiously or are they munching the freebies but can see your line? Mr Bessant made an appearance (are the commies shut?) and fished 14 metres for a few skimmers and roach and the tip lads sat it out for slightly better bags of small bream. Reports that a few skimmers have nasty sores on them and an eel of some 5/6 pound was found dead - shame.Once again it was smaller baits and long hooklengths that worked. What a difference a day makes.........

chappo

No Mate - his little brother Chris - theres been some big names there lately.Hope Pas OK Mate.

chappo

Nothing to report from the regulars this week as our ASBO crew are all grounded because of work, even Trev the Tiler has been having a go. Willie has seen a few being caught on the match side -several bigger bream showing but no huge weights.With the temp dropping earlier in the week would expect it to be a bit of a struggle the weekend but someone will drop on em.Amazed that its not being fished more given its recent form - the skimmer explosion has made it much more entertaining than usual.Will post a late Saturday report for the Sunday guys if we hear owt.
Nice to hear that the Warwickshire Pools Fodder brigade are coming to feed them - don't forget to bring your purses :))

pellet grinder

01/04/11 - 10/02/16
In Memoriam
Warwickshire pools fodder will be pleased to take your 1...... Given all the practice you've been doing thought you might even pool up....... [:W]

chappo

I've got a tenner on you on Sunday Sir B - us locals can't afford the pools money in the proper matches!

chappo

Saturday was a struggle in the bright and calm conditions and it was the float that triumphed over feeder tactics.At the risk of sounding ungrateful it was a mixed bag of 25 pound that took the coin with roach and perch providing the sport along with two bigger bream and a handful of skimmers.Loose feed tends to bring in a lot of very small fish that make bites hard to hit.It seems that the bigger fish are there too if you are happy striking at thin air 4 times out of 5 - big roach too - 6/8oz fish at mid water.
Two guys were having a practice for todays Sunday match - both very tidy tip anglers - one of them catching much closer than the statutory 40 yards using a butt indicator rather than quiver.
Its a joy to see that the bream circuit lads rate Stowey as a worthy venue and the food thats going in has got to help.
If anyone does give it a go please don't leave the fish in nets for long periods in this weather.Quite a few fish have small sores on them and the last thing we want is a set back for future seasons. Two pillocks had nets in the water for 24 hours a couple of years ago and several bream died as a result..........

chappo

Sensas match was a real struggle today in bright and calm conditions.Not sure of the winning weight but it looked like 10/15 lb job - one guy had two bigger bream and one had caught a lot of skimmers early on but they backed off when the sun got up. Pellet Grinder failed to catch any skimmers on the waggler line over the 6 hours only to witness one caught within 2 minutes of the match ending when someone borrowed his rod and showed him how to present a bait properly - and I was singing his praises just yesterday :)
The fish are very near to spawining by the looks and it could be a fortnight before it settles again.It wanted canal tactics today or the patience to sit it out on a big bait - funny old game.

pellet grinder

01/04/11 - 10/02/16
In Memoriam
You've got to feel sorry for that poor malnourished, partially sighted skimmer. He'd been swimming around in Stowe for days desperately searching for food, when finally he came across a poorly presented double maggot.
He guessed it was Chappo on the end of the rod although the waggler rig was far above his usual standard......
He thought he would take his chance..... the aging Chappo was way beyond hitting a sharp bite, but had not reckoned with Willy (the bream master) giving Chappo a nudge to wake him up and strike......!
What a shock it was to be unhooked by Chappo to finally see his withered old face.......
He now is swimmimg around in Stowe again but 24 hours later he still has a look of shock on his face....
Strangly Chappo also has that effect on fellow anglers as well as fish when he finally meets them.........
[:W][:D]

chappo

I see you have taken the master class quite well Mr B[}:)]
In spite of all of our efforts to put you right it seems that the shark gear that works at Earlswood and Coombe just aint the ticket on a more refined fishery.
Lets go thro it again - hook - small, line - less than 0.2, feeder - must have a means for bait to escape, tip - should potentially move with half a pond of fish hung from it, casting - plus or minus 10 yards[:)]
Willie is doing an under 10s fish-in later in the year if your'e interested[:T]

pellet grinder

01/04/11 - 10/02/16
In Memoriam
Chappo,

Book me in for the under 10's fish-in!
I'm up for a lesson from the Bream Master.......!

Got a bit of trouble from greenfly in the back garden at the mo.....
Has Trev got any tips on how to get rid of them....?

chappo

Poor Olly (Trev the Tiler) - he made the mistake of fishing one of the noted pegs which is presently shedding greenfly by the million - he ended up looking like the Jolly Green Giant - rumours of them even in his pink thong! Trev uses Royal Jelly(some kind of lubricant it seems) to keep them at bay but sadly it failed last Saturday.
Went yesterday for 5 hours and managed a lot of roach to 10oz - perch and just 2 skimmers on the wag and caster. Three other lads were there - same story - and Will struggled with maggot just attracting tiny rutilus and the odd perch.
Its definately a caster/gb job until they have spawned and we have had a good blow and shower of rain.
One local guy had a good net of quality roach on hemp and tares Monday apparantly - nice fishing if you can get them close enough.

chappo

Sensas Match Results

Stowe Pool, Lichfield, Staffordshire, Sun. 15.Peter Cartwright (Wolverhampton) 10-10-0, skimmers to 12 oz, slider fished maggot, peg 13; Mark Greening (Streetley) 6-6-0; Gary Johnson (Sensas) 6-5-0.

Ian Barrow - dnw - Paul Chapman (2 minutes on Ian Barrows peg) - 12oz

chappo

Fishing well at the moment as long as you put enough feed in to get them on the deck - its so easy to think the bites have dried up and stop feeing when the real answer is to put 2 big pouchfuls in to encourage a bite. You could get the odd indication on the drop but unhittable
Fished for 3 hours for 1 tench and 4 roach and then deciced to fill it in - bingo - 5 right big bream, skimmers and roach to a pound. What a muppet - the big guys must have sat there starving while the bits had munched all the previous freebies. The more you fed the more it went under.......Going today with 4 pints of reds, two tins of corn and a gallon of gb - an expensive dry net probably cos' the skimmers don't read forums :))

T K

Bum Draw Master
Time we had a picture or two of Stowe Pool in this topic[;)]

Had a wander round today........

Are you on the far bank in this picture Chappo?

Amongst these few anglers? I did watch for a few mins and a couple of waggler caught skimmers put in an appearance [:T]

Fished this bank a few times myself in the past