Stowe Pool - Lichfield

chappo

Fished its socks off today - loads of skimbos and several big bream on the waggler, Still hard to gauge the amount of feed though - you'll have 3 in three chucks and then they seem to back off in spite of going steady with feed.One little ball of gb later and they're back again. Had the feeling that a bit of corn in the feed would have helped today to hold the better ones.
The Sensas match opposite (about 10/12 anglers) seemed a struggle (everyone on the tip) - suprised no-one fished the float cos it was bang on - overcast/little tow and a bit choppy.
If anyone has any ideas about the fickle nature of feeding skimmers could you please post a note?
Draw for the match was 8.30/9.00ish I think near the boat house.

Top Bagger

Have u tried putting plenty of micro pellets in feed to hold them for longer Paul?? Always works for me especially on the Arbo

chappo

Bugger - I reckon squatts are as good as holding feed. Willie was using micros on Sunday the crafty sod - he had another 15/20 lb after we packed up and said nowt. Them breams a feeding :)
He fished 6 no 6s down the line and 2 x 8s droppers to slow it down. How clever is that? Get your pound ready Oll - no chance for Friday!

0lly

Haha sorry Chappo i am not actually the Olly you think i am, just saw "Olly" and thought it would be a giggle to pull your leg :D

chappo

Nice one Olly - your'e more than welcome to come and meet your namesake sometime if you fancy a dabble at Stowe - nothing to fear - you've got to be better looking and a better angler than Trev :)

0lly

Haha :) I do read this thread with intrest and do know somebody that fishes the matches on the sundays. I've not spoken to him so far this week so i have no idea how he got on sunday just gone. I know the week previous he fished the slider and had 8-9lb of Roach (if memory serves me right). I might come find it one of the weekends and have a look see. We are so spoilt in the Midlands for waters to go at, what with the canal systems and various fisherys in all shapes and sizes! :)

chappo

Sundays match wasn't great by the looks (see below) - we heard one or two saying it was a struggle.
Our weights were in the 30/40 plus bracket but thats the nature of breaming i suppose - two lads on the right of us only had bits

Sensas, Stowe Pool, Lichfield, Staffordshire, Sun. 15. Andrew Talbot (Willenhall) 8-3-0, three bream, Method feeder and maggot, peg 2; Norman Carpenter (Saints) Trevor Hope (Rod and Gun) 6-5-0.

There were about a dozen fishing it but they must have paid out just the top 2.

Going Friday this week and expecting a few again if the weather continues to hold - could do with a blank to continue the love-hate relationship!

The match pegs are a little shallower than the ones we pleasure fish - 12 foot compated to 15 - and the wind was blowing SE towards the church (where we were) - must have made the difference.
Would have definately fished the wag/slider on the match if I'd have known what a struggle it was going to be - the perch are 8oz plus now and theres still a chance of skimbos closer in

Three bream for 8 pound aint great too - the average stamp is normally bigger than that.

Last edited:

chappo

Friday knock up results - sunny/warm/changing light breeze.

Skimmers fed freely again on our regular pegs with tip and waggler both producing. Still not 'getting their heads down' properly and still the same problem of catching 3 and they back off. Tried not feeding while they were there and it seemed to help - more positive bites.Topped it up when things went quieter.
Much closer in too - 13 foot deep/4 rod lengths out - fab.
Tried a few micros in the feed - cut back on the amount of loose feed.
None of us could catch on the corn - red maggot and 22s for me with a regular nugget of gb.
Probably 30lb again - Trev struggled after deciding to not use groundbait but had some quality roach mid water - a good sign that things are improving.
Presentation had to be sock-on - 0.07 hooklengths on the wag and just 6 inch overdepth with a tiny amount of peacock showing - even then the bites were sometimes very cagey - will it won't it stuff! Bulk of 8s half depth then 8s and 10s droppers.
Only one better bream for Willie - 4 lb perhaps on 4 maggots and open ender. Not so many billies this week and one lttle tench that thought it was a barbel (off the rest job)!

Trev pulled - a strange bloke spent an hour admiring his tackle and his undoubted skills with a Normark! He did keep saying 'thats a little en mate' for some reason????
This Sundays match should be interesting - if 10/15 lb is a target weight a decent float angler could get in the frame if they're brave enough to have a go? Could always ball it on the feeder line an keep having a look.We're at a christening so no chance.
Must learn how to put some piccies on here - they're lovely looking fish.
Some of the bigger skimbos are probably 1.5 lb now with their smaller relatives perhaps 6 oz - great Had a bit of pike trouble for half an hour and a grebe took up residence in my peg off and on - a masterclass of catching bits!

There should be a ton between one of us hopefully in the next 6 weeks with the clocks changing tonight - probably during an evening session with a howling warm wind towards the Church - but then again..........[:W]

Last edited:

chappo

Looking at the forecast for the week next Thursday and Friday look fab - howling wind/overcast and warm.I can feel a big open ender coming out!

chappo

No match last Sunday but bigger bream starting to show in numbers.There were some big roach caught too close in on Weds apparantly - 10oz to a pound fish on the waggler - simple red maggot and loose feed - someone even had them on the pole line.The regular pound match didn't go ahead today with work being the culprit.
Will post Sunday match results next week if theres a knock up the weekend - fingers crossed.
If anyone reading this has been down please post a comment cos' its great to see so many people reading it:)

chappo

Game On!! - Saturday 2nd April 2011
Willie the bream machine is still there after 6 hours with 50 plus skimmers and 12 proper ones (4-7lb) for a 100lb plus - fair play. Hes had to leave his peg for a top up of brown crumb and the tips round every chuck in a strongish SW and tinge of colour.Red letter job.
Your'e right Jamie - today was one of them days. Chuffed to death for him - he loves his bream and puts some hours in on Stowe as he does in Ireland. Simple maggot approach and big open ender and they won't be going no-where - it'll be an evening shift for Mr A :))
The chances of doing a ton have shot up now with the old bream getting ready for romance!
I remember the pictures of the 300lb that was on the front page of the AT some years ago and now realize how easy it can be if your'e on them - its still a lovely feeling though drawing them from the depths of places like Stowey:)

pellet grinder

01/04/11 - 10/02/16
In Memoriam
Willie is a bream machine........
Guess a huge weight was no the cards - please is was the bream machine
Originally posted by chappo

Game On!! - Saturday 2nd April 2011
Willie the bream machine is still there after 6 hours with 50 plus skimmers and 12 proper ones (4-7lb) for a 100lb plus - fair play. Hes had to leave his peg for a top up of brown crumb and the tips round every chuck in a strongish SW and tinge of colour.Red letter job.
Your'e right Jamie - today was one of them days. Chuffed to death for him - he loves his bream and puts some hours in on Stowe as he does in Ireland. Simple maggot approach and big open ender and they won't be going no-where - it'll be an evening shift for Mr A :))
The chances of doing a ton have shot up now with the old bream getting ready for romance!
I remember the pictures of the 300lb that was on the front page of the AT some years ago and now realize how easy it can be if your'e on them - its still a lovely feeling though drawing them from the depths of places like Stowey:)

chappo

Been to see him during the last hour and took some piccies - lovely jubliee! He was getting movement on the tip from the moment it settled but was having to wait til' it wrapped around properly to connect. Had a couple of chucks and you could feel fish swimming off the line in the water with one on - it was solid (snot up the line 3 yards above the feeder at times!)
Bet he wasn't chucking more than 20 yards. Another guy was there some 30 yards away and he was catching as well - it must be a hell of a shoal!
Albert was catching big roach close in as well today apparantly (12oz - pound and a half) - who needs commercials!!

chappo

Good on you Willy!

chappo

New keepnet too :)

Sorry - hadn't set date and time on camera - caught 2/4/2011

Last edited:

chappo

Mr A rang to say he had another 5 bream and 11 skimmers after I'd left - they'll be a waiting list for the pegs tomorrow............OK it was 7 hours but a great weight of silvers on a venue that can break your heart.