Stowe Pool - Lichfield

chappo

Three of the breaming regulars fished Stowe on Sunday last (still half frozen) and had a great day for 7-8lb apiece on the tip. Fishing GB feeder/maggot or pinkie at 30 yards their nets were made up of small perch, 4-6 oz roach and a couple of 10 oz skimbos.All 3 reported smashed maggots with no indication on the tip (even on braid) - they're hungry by the sound of things.[:T]

chappo

Went for a dabble yesterday and managed 30lb on the wag :)) 12 foot deep/22s and single maggot over regular small balls of gb - great! 5 properish bream (2/3 lb) - 20 skimmers and a handful of roach and perch.Best day since October and can't wait to get there again.Two mates caught reasonably too incluing a rare an unseasonal Stowe tench. If you likes your breaming it still rates as one of the best in the Midlands on its day with the magical ton a fairly regular event from March onwards.

chappo

The Council lads come and collect the money on the bank - 6 I think but reduced if your'e on the dole. You can park in front of the church and walk up the bank. The pegs we've been catching are about 25/40 yards on the left bank as you walk up onto the pool. Behind you is the roundabout by HomeZone.If the wind is blowing towards he church better still[:D]Drop me a pm if you are down there mate - we're gonna give it some this year the way its improving!
It can still break your heart on a bad day (as you know) but everytime the float goes under (or the tip goes round) it can be anything from an angry perch to a double figure bream - one of the regulars had one 15lb last season and a roach 3lb 2!
Get the old fella down there and tell him to bring his purse[:T]

Last edited:

kevb

was 'bigkevb'
tempted to have a bash on stowe myself , is there any bait bans rules etc etc [?][?][?][?]

Top Bagger

he wont go down paul, too challenging for him LOL. Will definitely have a go this year

chappo

No bait restrictions Kev - the carp lads can bivvy up on the HomeZone bank too. Carp are hard to mug - they run to 24/25 I guess. Red maggot does it mostly but pellet sorts the better bream in the warmer months (and corn).Beware though - you end up with a love-hate relationship if you start going and have a great day.One afternoon last season(in a gale) I spent 5 hours for 51 bream averaging 4/5 pounds apiece.One of them red letter days.Have rung me mates to come and have a look and the tips round every 3 minutes - solid. Following morning my fishing partner sits on the same peg in same conditions for 4 lb of bits - don't you just love it when that happens!!
Last year the bream were readily coming up in the water for bait and a great method was fishing an open ender with a lot of maggots in the feed and an 8 foot tail - if you hadn't had a touch in 3/4 minutes fill it again and recast - every 4th cast the tip was round.Not always proper bream but bites regularly.
Its still a bit cool at the mo mate - end March or April are my favourite months
If you know Stowe you'll remember the weed beds that pop up from March - there are pegs between them at 15 yard intervals. The bream have been coming just to the edge of the weeds on a lot of pegs - only 2/3 rods out in 10/12 foot of water.Its easy pole distance but the bank makes it hard to fish the pole (concrete and steep).A steady feeder chuck and its 15/18 foot at 25yards or more.To be honest a lot of regulars fish the tip because its the perfect venue to do-so (a bit like Ireland but in a City Centre).You can use keep nets too while your'e pleasure fishing[:T]
For a lot of us old farts its a refreshing change from carp puddles and hard on a bad day - proper fishing!
I don't mind sharing this info because its so rarely fished and I believe the more bait that goes in the better - the pegs we fished regularly last year were consistantly good because of this I think?

Last edited:

kevb

was 'bigkevb'
thanks for the prompt reply ....i'm gonna try n give it a bash this year hopefully in the next couple of months [:)][:)]

chappo

Back to earth with a bump today! Perhaps 4lb of bits inc one skimmer - bitter NE wind (7 degrees) 24s hooks and hard work. Mate had one proper one and a few perch - Trev the Tiler cried off after 2 hours perished - good call.Wants tarmaccing :)

chappo

It certainly is Mr T - he shivered for 2 hours complaining he had hypothermia (the big blouse) The truth we have a pound between us and he'd only had 2 tiny roach and didn't want another bum kicking!Hope the jobs OK mate.

chappo

Off to the puddle again today (Thursday) - six of us in the pound pool by the looks.Will post the results later for the the benefit of others who are still brave(mad?) enough to face a gin clear 18 foot deep expanse of cold water!Trev is threatening to take us to the cleaners with his new mix - its probably flexible tile adhesive and grout cos' hes had a job cancelled this week :)
Predicted winning weight 20lb plus.........
Definately gonna ball it today - 6 babies heads on the whistle and a top up when the bites ease off (I can feel a dry net coming on)!

Last edited:

chappo

It just had to happen someday I suppose - Trev snook in with a very modest 6lb 4oz of small fish on the wag - just proves that even a poo and ugly angler on a good peg can come up trumps. The bream didn't go on our regular pegs but one of the lads caught about 20lb ish on the point - slightly shallower than the bowl near the church where we fished.Went 2 hours without a touch after balling it and then caught two thirds of naff all- ever wished you could fetch em out!The Tiler had a smile like a Cheshire Cat and is threatening to spend the winnings on a new pink carryall.Everyone caught and the Sun shone - not the best breaming weather but definately a Spring feel and a noticable increase in the number of good looking birds jogging round!

chappo

Thursday 3rd March - Didn't fish today (work) but the brave few sat in a cold NE breeze and 3 degrees for a handful of skimmers and perch.Its still blooming hard with the weather not settled and the few bream that are being caught don't seem to be in big shoals - odd two and then gone.The weekly knock up is on a river next time with the closed season approaching - another dry net awaits!

chappo

To the Mease on Thursday and the Dove on the 14th - we'll get you off the commies one day Mate!

Top Bagger

i prefer canals to commies paul. love worm and joker fishing and caster fishing. occasionally like a go on the river around Tamworth

chappo

Sill a bit hit and miss it seems but there have been a few down there lately including a regular few fishing Sensas Open
Last weeks results below.
Sensas Open, Stowe Pool, Lichfield, Staffordshire, Sun. 14. Steve Preece (M & S Joinery) 12-6-0, three bream, feeder and sweetcorn, peg 1; Peter Cartwright (Wolverhampton) 11-14-0; Andrew Talbot (Willenhall) 10-9-0.
The best match weight last year was 59 pound caught on the slider if I remember.
Theres no permanent pegs on Stowey - just a few yelllow paint dabs between the weed beds.
If you compare these weights to Port Talbot docks at the moment Stowe has been consistantly higher - just proves the potential.
With April just days away and a promise of warmer evenings and high winds its probably the best time to have a dabble if you haven't ventured there yet.
Our weekly trips have resulted in mixed fortunes - several big bream on some pegs - nowt but big billies on others - I reckon the big bags will be caught using big baits this year that'll stop the smaller fish having a chew - corn, pellet and big pieces of worm - can't wait!
Don't know who runs the matches there but I think its a regular Sunday job - Kev Tipton used to?

PS - Won the pound pool yesterday:)

Last edited:

chappo

It is Kev Tipton apparantly - they're all quality bream anglers that are turning up so it would be a great place to frame.Its an even venue too - could turn up anywhere if you are accurate and patient