Storing Pellets Once Open

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have open sacks of pellets in a shed. Never occurred to me to seal them up in any way. They seem ok that way for a few months until the sack is empty.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have open sacks of pellets in a shed. Never occurred to me to seal them up in any way. They seem ok that way for a few months until the sack is empty.
Shouldn't be a problem with coarse pellets in all honesty Neil, High Oil content pellets (Trout/Halibut) have the potential to go rancid, more so in warm weather.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
How do you guys store pellets after opening them? Of course not all pellets bags are resealable, so what do you use to keep pellets fresh?
I've used air tight lunch boxes, glass coffee jars and more recently, Drennan pellet seal bait boxes which I am less than impressed with.
I have also been on the lookout for something airtight to keep unused groundbait fresh too.

Any ideas guys?
Im using matrix 3 pint tubs with no air holes ,seem pretty good

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Apologies. The sacks are in dustbins and the shed is on Metposts so mice are rare. Humane mousetrap by the bins, though I have killed more than saved. I was just trying to indicate that even if not in airtight containers coarse pellets will be ok for a few months.

P.S. Merry Christmas

CarpCatcher86

Im using matrix 3 pint tubs with no air holes ,seem pretty good
The Drennan bait seal pellet bait boxes didn't really fill me with confidence. They are supposed to be air tight and I can still smell a slight wiff of the F1 sweet pellets I have in one tub.