Storing Pellets Once Open

CarpCatcher86

How do you guys store pellets after opening them? Of course not all pellets bags are resealable, so what do you use to keep pellets fresh?
I've used air tight lunch boxes, glass coffee jars and more recently, Drennan pellet seal bait boxes which I am less than impressed with.
I have also been on the lookout for something airtight to keep unused groundbait fresh too.

Any ideas guys?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ive got 25 litre tubs, they are food grade with airtight seals on the screw lids

were given me by a mate that worked in a factory, I buy 20 kilo sacks of skrettings pellets and put them into the tubs, my bagged crumb and fishmeal go in them too

bagged bought groundbait is kept in some other not so good tubs, if the groundbait is in opened bags, I generally keep that in 2 litr ice cream containers and use as soon as possible

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i just use a big lunch bag or tape the bag back up, pellets are kept indoors in the kitchen cupboards, along with groundbait

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve had a bag of 2mm micros that I feed my pond fish with since May just in the bag they came in folded over in a cupboard and they are still fine. My grandads got big plastic tubs of various pellets in his garage some a couple years old and again they are fine. I should think unless they get wet they should last quite a long time.

JRW

Site Supporter
Clean plastic milk bottles. :upthumb:
I bought four 25kg sacks of pellets when word got around that Skrettings were going to stop trading. Somebody on here suggested storing them in milk bottles so I did and kept them in my garage. That was a while ago and they're fine, they don't go off. I think they just need to be kept dry.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nothing worse than the mess split bags of pellets/groundbait in the bottom of a carryall make. A 2 litre/4pint bottle will take a 1kg bag of groundbait as well. Cut the top 5-6 inches off of a plastic drinks bottle and you've got a handy funnel, making it easy to transfer pellets or groundbait to the bottles. ;)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Loose pellets and groundbait in the bottom of holdalls has probably led to the demise of more holdalls left in sheds than any other cause as any mice/rats think it's dinner time. ;)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I save em in old Hemp Containers, 4 Tubs with different sizes of Pellets fit nicely into my bag. And one container is enough for a decent sesh.
1608840805755.png