Storage

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Has anyone any experience of storing house contents, I am desperate for a bit of advice. Our house sale finally look as though it will complete within the next few weeks and I have been looking round for somewhere to store the contents whilst we sort out a property in Ireland. I had a quote from one company for £120 per month, secure indoor storage with everything in wooden crates. I rang them this afternoon to accept the quote only to find that the £120 is per week!!!! My second option was to look at a self storage company that uses shipping containers, the cost of 2 x 20ft containers is £242 per month. The missus has just been reading about the horror stories of storing furniture etc in this way; condensation, rodent damage etc etc and this has put us off somewhat.

Can anyone give me any advice please?

The Hitman

Site Supporter
This was 5 years ago. I downsized my property. Stored furniture with a local removal company. Cost me approx £44pm inc Vat. Might be worth contacting local removal companies as they also tend to have warehouse lookup. I live in Warwickshire if that helps.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
A mate of mine has the same Prob, so he is Buying a Small Shipping Container, its only for his Trials Bikes and other stuff til he gets a garage in his new place built.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
This was 5 years ago. I downsized my property. Stored furniture with a local removal company. Cost me approx £44pm inc Vat. Might be worth contacting local removal companies as they also tend to have warehouse lookup. I live in Warwickshire if that helps.
Cheers mate, I have actually contacted 2 big companies this evening; Pickfords and GB liners, both companies will pick up our stuff, store it and then move it to Ireland. I am just hoping the prices aren't silly.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
A mate of mine has the same Prob, so he is Buying a Small Shipping Container, its only for his Trials Bikes and other stuff til he gets a garage in his new place built.
That was my original idea mate, but I would need a 40ft container and the delivery charges are horrendous, combined with what the missus has read about condensation etc. that idea has been knocked on the head.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Hi Dave,

You can purchase VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) Corrosion Resistant bags & large bags of silica gel which to wrap furniture etc in and then seal. We used to do these for packing machinery when I worked for an export packing company. That way you can store them in a container on a safe store site.

I can't recall the name of the company that sold them, but a quick search turned up this company here

Last edited:

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I can't recall the name of the company that sold them, but a quick search turned up this company here

Oy I am not pie eyed just yet, is the link an attempt to exploit my, soon to be inebriated, condition as it doesn't work.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Oy I am not pie eyed just yet, is the link an attempt to exploit my, soon to be inebriated, condition as it doesn't work.

Are you sure ? reall, really sure ?? Do you want to phone a friend ? :D:D

Scribe

Site Supporter
I ain't got any:cry::cry::cry:

Aaaah bless If I had a heart instead of a swinging brick, it would bleed for you chap. :D:D

Nevermind Dave at least in October you have a fishing buddy for a few hours. (y)

Scribe

Site Supporter
@Dave given that my mum & stepdad put an offer in on a bungalow last August and didn't get moved until in February this year, then there is a fair chance that Dave might not get everything organised and ready to move for 6 months which would be into early November.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
There was a lot of hooha after a fire at a storage place in Croydon. Just check T&C's and make sure it's insured.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’ve done it twice when moving, used the big yellow storage company once, great, they keep the storage at low humidity, 24 hour access and insured. Another time was with a smaller local company, again, no issues, but didn’t have 24 hour access.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
I've just emptied a container that I had with easy access storage, stuff been in there since November and no issues with condensation. 60 foot container £199 per month, 24 hour access

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
We have had storage units for years. We used to live in a four bedroomed bungalow with a large garage and a workshop shed. In addition to this I used to run my business from a factory unit. When the business folded ten years ago we had a massive amount to store as we moved onto our canal boat. I’ve sold a lot of the stuff but I’ve still got two storage units at the moment. They are indoors and I use one as a workshop now. They are that posh the guy even fitted electric sockets in it foc. They are only a mile from home.

In the past we used a company which had containers. They used to change the door seals when they bought them and boarded the floors properly. They’d even carpet them if you were storing furniture. We had them for five years and they were absolutely as dry as a bone.