Stopping that first run on the pole

markyboy

A couple of times now I have not been able to stop a big fish on it's first run, 0,17 hooklength went ping then so did 0,19 hooklength, these were both on 0,22 mainline and 17 preston dura slip in my margin pole (an old Trabucco Lucifer), I have added sections and followed the fish out keeping the pole tip under the water but the fish just kept going until finally the hooklength went. Is the only way to go even heavier with hooklength and elastic or is there a knack to to try and turn/slow/stop the fish on its first run? I have had fish up to 16lb on this gear and believe it should handle bigger.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Have you thought about stepping down the elastic? I sometimes find that the fish freaks out when it feels more tension.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
.17 & .19 sounds like guru line it being an odd numbers, if it is I binned all mine as had breaks, not as strong as some other lines in .18 and .20.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Me being me I would be using a solid 18-20. Stop the fish before it can get up a head of steam.

And no, I don't hold with the theory about the harder you pull......

But foulhooking would be my bet. As Maesknoll says, a mouth hooked fish should turn with the sidestrain applied with the tip underwater.

chris1967

Site Supporter
i fished candy corner today,drew peg 44 and fished up to peg 45 platform which is on a bend ,i weighed nearly 60lb and lost 70lb easily ,every fish screamed off round the corner 0.21 to 0.19 preston reflo to a size 12 guru x strong hook.
There was no stopping them its alright fishing tow robe elastic but somethings got to give ,luckily it wasnt my pole (extreme margin ) and that was doubled up.
Not one fish hooked and swam into open water ,some times it aint gunna be

rudd

Site Supporter
Is the water coloured?
If so stop arsing about with expensive pre stretched clear mono.
You dont need it as fish cannot see it or much else in the murk.
This stuff is cheap as chip's and hard to break 😉
Black text - on spool
Red text - actual tested

Screenshot_2021-06-24-19-09-11.png

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Preston Reflo is odd numbers as well, I use the Guru I like it’s suppleness and haven’t had any issues with it
Hated it myself, had hook links go at .17 where as other brands of .18 were fine, should not be that much in .01 now settled on a good hook the last few years which is Colmic Stream.

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
Is the water coloured?
If so stop arsing about with expensive pre stretched clear mono.
You dont need it as fish cannot see it or much else in the murk.
This stuff is cheap as chip's and hard to break 😉
Black text - on spool
Red text - actual tested

Screenshot_2021-06-24-19-09-11.png
Have you a source for the rest of that table? Who did the testing? It's just the sort of geeky thing I'd like to read.

Stanley

One option I’ve found it raise the pole up in the air so you change the angle on the running fish. Ive also gone back to Preston Slip in 14 or 16 in a couple of my kits. Clearly this is ok if your using a very strong pole! I’ve had great success doing this over the years with my old Tricast XRS Venom.

markyboy

Interesting about the foul hooking theory, they must be huge fish as I have landed several good doubles hooked in the tail on that gear. The line is indeed n-gauge and I have complete confidence in it so no reason to change, maybe I had not tied the hooklength as well as I should. Interesting theory on the elastic as smaller carp in the 6-10lb bracket have almost bottomed out 15 elastic on the first run. Have had a look on youtube and there are a couple of videos showing that shipping the pole back to the top kit straight away prevents the first run and keeps the fish coming towards you, will give that a try this afternoon and see if I have any success.

woodbutcher

A couple of times now I have not been able to stop a big fish on it's first run, 0,17 hooklength went ping then so did 0,19 hooklength, these were both on 0,22 mainline and 17 preston dura slip in my margin pole (an old Trabucco Lucifer), I have added sections and followed the fish out keeping the pole tip under the water but the fish just kept going until finally the hooklength went. Is the only way to go even heavier with hooklength and elastic or is there a knack to to try and turn/slow/stop the fish on its first run? I have had fish up to 16lb on this gear and believe it should handle bigger.
There probably foul hooked should stop them on that tackle👍

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
your set up is perfect imo if not fishing snaggy water. Is it possible that the fihs has cut you off on an underwater snag/obstruction ?

I have 100% confidence in N-gauge, all my carp rigs (mainline and hooklength) are tied with it, I don't suffer the breakages some are talking about.

What I would say is that Dura slip is a very soft elastic, it will give on that first run, it is designed for pulla's and the soft elastic approach, I love it and Slik for exactly that feature as there is no doubt fish react to the pressure applied, these type of hybrid elastics are perfect for "walking the dog".

But when I need some stopping power then the red (14-17) KND hollow is my goto choice. Land upper doubles on the gear your suggesting no problem.

In regards to your question one thing to consider IS NOT adding pole sections. This can actually cause you a problem in that the fish can really get up a head of steam and when you reach "bottoming out" the inertia from that speed can break 0.19 like cotton. If you trust the strength of your pole simply let the dura slip do its work it will stretch further than you imagine and trust me it takes a lot of effort to break 0.19 line. IMO it is the speed causing the problem if no under water obstructions are in play.

JRW

Site Supporter
It's taken me a while to get over the mindset of trying to land every fish that I hook. I'm speaking as a pleasure angler but now my preferred outcome after foul hooking a lump on the pole is for the hooklength to break. New hooklength on the rig and I'm fishing again in no time. Much quicker than trying to subdue a carp hooked under the armpit or worse, in the tail. In my head, if it's foul hooked then I didn't catch it.

Some good advice on this thread, the most important one - don't add pole sections.

Total

Site Supporter
Interesting about the foul hooking theory, they must be huge fish as I have landed several good doubles hooked in the tail on that gear. The line is indeed n-gauge and I have complete confidence in it so no reason to change, maybe I had not tied the hooklength as well as I should. Interesting theory on the elastic as smaller carp in the 6-10lb bracket have almost bottomed out 15 elastic on the first run. Have had a look on youtube and there are a couple of videos showing that shipping the pole back to the top kit straight away prevents the first run and keeps the fish coming towards you, will give that a try this afternoon and see if I have any success.
I'd also be questioning my feeding patterns/tactics/depth of water etc etc, what I was feeding if suffering so many foul hookers.....(y)