Stop watch or other when feeder fishing

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had to get one from eBay after reading this thread but 'time will tell' how useful I find it.

2021-01-29 12.59.34.jpg

dave brittain 1

It may be that I'm old school however before I go to a venue I do my homework, know what weight will I will need to win/frame, know what bait I will need to take/use and where I need to draw. The above will tell me roughly how much to feed at the start and then it's a case of trial and error, stepping up feed, changing baits, feeder size and presentation by casting and reducing feed accordingly.

How does a stop watch tell you to do the above, because it's knowing what and when to feed, how much grounbait, how many particles and how big a feeder to deliver it in that makes all the difference. A watch only tells you the time, the rest comes through experience and practice.

Line Clip

One match last year, I chucked the hybrid out, turned around to set the stopwatch, and the tip was bent round double , landed fish , chucked back out,expecting the same, and it never moved for 20 minutes 🤷‍♂️

One match last year, I chucked the hybrid out, turned around to set the stopwatch, and the tip was bent round double , landed fish , chucked back out,expecting the same, and it never moved for 20 minutes 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
At least you only had to wait twenty minutes, That happened to me also, my tip didn't go round again all Match :)

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The first person I saw who suggested timing your feeder casts in Winter was Alan Scotthorne, about 15 years ago. He had noticed that he had been getting bites at approximately equal times after casting out and thought that possible the fish were deliberately not taking the bait until it had been in situ for a time.

That makes sense to me, as since then I have seen carp in Summer repeatedly come into a swim where my bait was lying, mill around, leave the swim, and come back in force a few minutes later and immediately take my baited hook. Why didn't they take it the first time? Who knows? But if the system works, use it.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I use a timer, appropriated from my wife's hairdressing Salon, ( same place I get my scissors from). :) The timers cost about two euros each, so not expensive and the scissors are given to me after they are no longer the sharpest scissors in the world, (for hairdressers). Happy days!

Keith Sparky

Didn’t have green 🤷‍♂️ F8F11B52-B81A-4FEA-A9EF-FED63AEEC42D.jpeg
I have the same one but in black off ebay..came with Chinese instructions....works great but for a week I couldn't work out how to turn the daily alarm off that I accidentally had set so you could hear it going off in my seat box drawer .......

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I have the same one but in black off ebay..came with Chinese instructions....works great but for a week I couldn't work out how to turn the daily alarm off that I accidentally had set so you could hear it going off in my seat box drawer .......
I had to take an online Chinese language course, to learn how to work it 😂😂😂