Stop watch or other when feeder fishing

Northantslad

'Any indications?
It can measure the impact of your decisions i suppose, if gauging time by estimation isn't accurate enough. Possible of course, if anyone ever says, 'right i am going give this 10 minutes', so, along with a 'think it do it mentality' i am sure it works, but only when decisions are made and not dwelled upon to a point of missing the moment.

It's a bit too far for me, probably as an indication of my level, but i am familiar with making changes and opt for the keep the casting at regular intervals, but change what goes out (feeder size, swap for a lead for a cast or two etc), the watch may be useful in keeping the casts ultra regular, however and having seen this promoted by some, i think on some venues that keeping the same feeder on, but altering regularity as a means to increase/decrease feed going in, isn't always the way to go.

My view point may be backed up by the popularity of the quick change systems? The only videos i have seen with the stopwatch, the same feeder appears to be used throughout.

grey

Site Supporter
I use a timer I attach to the butt when feeder fishing particularly in the warmer months - I'll set it to whatever time I think is needed to suit regular recast, start say 3½, then I sometimes slowly extend the time if needed until I start getting the necessary feedback from bites or liners which I then use to gauge recast.

It's not something I'd like to use for a whole session, but it forces me to establish a rhythm when building swim and can kick the fish into feeding quicker. Without it I expect I'd cast less regular and half as often.

I will say that I find a countdown timer with chime is better than a stopwatch as you can activate it after each cast which takes the pressure off having to reeling-in and rebait within a set period.

grey

Site Supporter
So do you think its a thing left to the top boys, for who myself don't fish against ( I WISH ):)
I think it's worth exploring further.

I don't use it to try and discover the fishes natural rhythm as some suggest, I quickly get a feel for whatever that is on the day.

For me, as I said, I use it to establish my own rhythm that I find more often than not, the fish respond to.

This time of year, everything slows down and time extend so much between recasts that a simple glance of the watch is sufficient to keep track.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I use a stopwatch, whether match or pleasure fishing, the main reason being if I’ve decided on 10 minute casts (for example) to start with, I know when it’s time to recast.

When I started using a stopwatch I found a large discrepancy between my guess at 10 minutes and an actual 10 minutes.
10 minutes feels a lot longer than you think doesn’t it ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Only if our phoebe could enter....she's still unbeaten!
Just checked it was 15 anglers not 20.
Did you at least win one game ? You should have took my advice and fished it using a Matrix top kit mate. Not those unwieldy things the game came with. 🤣🤣🤣

Ben Field

I use one all of the time but rarely to spot patterns in getting bites. I’m mostly fishing for roach or skimmers, but more than anything it just stops you from being complacent and not putting any food in. It’s all well and good to leave a bait in the water and wait for 20 minutes until you get a bite, but considering that one feeder full is little more than a nugget of bait, you’re neither going to put enough bait in to hold any fish there, nor enough to attract any in the first place. You’re also fishing nothing but a static bait. Depending on your target weight for the day, I’ll start on 3 or 4 minute timed casts. The problem with not timing yourself can be that 5 or 10 minutes can fly by, and before you know it you’ve fed three feeder fulls in an hour and not seen anything for it. So having the timer just reminds me that time is flying and you need to make something happen. If you feel like you’re over doing it... smaller feeders, less loosefeed.... there are loads of ways not to overdo it, even with regular casts. But by making sure that you keep it going in, a) they’ll turn up quicker, and b) there will be something there for them when they do. Quite often what I feel like was 4 minutes can actually be 10. Easily done, with time running away from you. Specially when cold.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My top kits are too long. Need one of gazza's short F1 kits.
You see that’s where I’ve done some thinking. You could sit out and Joey could tell you how to get on. God knows you need some tips when it comes to that fishing game. Stop letting Phoebe beat you. She needs to learn what disappointment feels like. 🤣🤣🤣

Total

Site Supporter
You see that’s where I’ve done some thinking. You could sit out and Joey could tell you how to get on. God knows you need some tips when it comes to that fishing game. Stop letting Phoebe beat you. She needs to learn what disappointment feels like. 🤣🤣🤣
Are you trying to say that our Nicky's technique isn't up to scratch with said fishing game?:unsure::whistle:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Are you trying to say that our Nicky's technique isn't up to scratch with said fishing game?:unsure::whistle:
The way in which he threw the rods down in frustration I’d say he’s not up to speed Mark. I told him little and often but, he balled it. 🙄🤣🤣