Stop fishing for barbel in the heatwave

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There are still chub there, but it's not fished that much in the winter these days.
In the summer there are so many hungry mouths to feed that the chub don't often get a look in!!!
But yes - more chub in the channel than on the main river in general.
Yeah spot on you do see a few but the chance of them getting to the baits before the silvers in the summer and autumn is very slim, just the odd one gets through. Doesn’t mean much as I’m a rubbish chub angler but I’ve never caught a Thames chub much over a pound before December!

squimp

Site Supporter
I missed the smiley so thanks for clarification.
I wonder if anyone's done any scientific studies on oxygenation levels in warm sunny weather...from some basic schoolbook biology, surely the water vegetation will be in greater photosynthesis, hence more oxygen, or am I missing the point?
Basic fishery management says - dissolved oxygen concentration in water goes DOWN in direct relation to rising water temperature.

So at or above 20 degrees C, dissolved oxygen is getting low for most coarse species. Any further sudden downturn eg a thunderstorm, algal crash etc could be catastrophic as it will drop the available oxygen still further.

That is why sensible fishery owners have decent dissolved oxygen monitors (and use them regularly) and access to emergency pumps/aerators.

The issue with any fish that fights hard in warm/hot water is that it will take significantly longer to recover than it would do in colder water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
They’re probably there but whilst 15-25lb of roach will win you most matches here where the only realistic big fish target is bream which are sporadic theres probably not much point trying to win a severn match with roach and dace when 30lb plus of barbel and chub is a common occurrence.
I'm told as well as fishing hemp and tares I should also try the Ladyham stretch which is even further downstream from Stourport.

Total

Site Supporter
I'm told as well as fishing hemp and tares I should also try the Ladyham stretch which is even further downstream from Stourport.
Prolly a daft question....BUT:rolleyes:.....Wouldn't there be more mileage/beneficial to you to concentrate on a stretch of water/lake etc etc rather than flitting around here there and everywhere to build your knowledge/experience?:unsure:

Your general approach mate seems rather scatter gunned....:((y)

acart8426

That is interesting.

When me and a few mates were targeting the Thames round Oxford looking for big chub, by far the most prolific stretch (and some of the biggest fish) was Medley. In those days we had a few reasonable (5lb+) fish from the channel - but nowhere near as many.

These days (last winter, around COVID restrictions) we are targeting barbel lower down the river and catching almost no chub at all (and few barbel!). Carp are taking over along with ridiculous numbers of bream.

If anybody has any pointers on areas to target for really big chub, I’m interested !
There's some real dog chub in the channel 7lbers are common , mainly after Oct though after they've eaten all those signal crayfish .

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Prolly a daft question....BUT:rolleyes:.....Wouldn't there be more mileage/beneficial to you to concentrate on a stretch of water/lake etc etc rather than flitting around here there and everywhere to build your knowledge/experience?:unsure:

Your general approach mate seems rather scatter gunned....:((y)
I prefer to vary my fishing so can see why it might seem that way but really I only fish a handful of places.

For instance, I have a lake with good Tench fishing nearby but fished it once or twice this year, caught a few fish, and moved on. I doubt I will fish it again until the same time next year. Other people on the same lake told me it was there goal to catch 100 Tench this season... not for me.

And now it's river season, and living near to the Severn, I think it'd be silly to keep fishing the same pegs and stretches I know produce fish as I have done. Though I am concentrating on fishing Quatford for Barbel for the time being.

The Ladyham/Hemp thing came about from advice I've been given when I question the calibre of the Severn Roach fishing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have a genuine curiosity about the Roach (and all the other species) in the Severn though. There's a well known old pic of Des Taylor with a netful of them.

I have even thought about trying to prompt a few reports by setting up Zerkalo's Severn Roach Challenge, where you get a nugget for every pound of Roach caught (between Bridgnorth and Bewdley). But I'm skint and have a feeling with the quality of anglers that like to fish for them I'd soon be even more skint.

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
I have a genuine curiosity about the Roach (and all the other species) in the Severn though. There's a well known old pic of Des Taylor with a netful of them.

I have even thought about trying to prompt a few reports by setting up Zerkalo's Severn Roach Challenge, where you get a nugget for every pound of Roach caught (between Bridgnorth and Bewdley). But I'm skint and have a feeling with the quality of anglers that like to fish for them I'd soon be even more skint.
I'd cost you a fortune at Bridgnorth especially in Autumn! ;) :love::ROFLMAO:

bluemack

Site Supporter
I'd recommend letting the barbel rest up in a keepnet for a couple of hours to recover ;)
I,ve always believed in putting Barbel in a keepnet regardless,if you release them straight away no matter how long you give it to recover
if it goes belly up there ain,t a lot you can do about it,i give them a good hour or so in the keepnet knowing they will be o.k when released.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was fishing for silvers at HL having quite a good day catching Dace, Chublets, and Perch until someone came and set up in the peg 10m downstream from me. Had a keepnet out and the bailiff told me 'no Barbel in keepnets'. I told her not much chance of that as 0.12 hooklength and Acolyte rod. She said 'it doesn't matter'. :LOL:

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I was fishing for silvers at HL having quite a good day catching Dace, Chublets, and Perch until someone came and set up in the peg 10m downstream from me. Had a keepnet out and the bailiff told me 'no Barbel in keepnets'. I told her not much chance of that as 0.12 hooklength and Acolyte rod. She said 'it doesn't matter'. :LOL:
BAA bailiff?

tincatim

Site Supporter
Sorry Steve Pope, I went fishing for silvers today but accidentally caught a barbel, felt a bit bad given the heat but I took good care of it and it swam away strongly after a good rest. I’d hate to think that I’m responsible for one of these amazing fish going belly up

BoldBear

I missed the smiley so thanks for clarification.
I wonder if anyone's done any scientific studies on oxygenation levels in warm sunny weather...from some basic schoolbook biology, surely the water vegetation will be in greater photosynthesis, hence more oxygen, or am I missing the point?

It's a simple fact that as water warms up it will hold less and less oxygen regardless of how much weed growth there is; and any oxygen being released from the weed will be expelled into the atmosphere once the water gets too warm.

Keith

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Seeing four good sized Barbel floating downstream belly up at East Stoke on Saturday was not a good sight.
Am now onto a second hand counting these in the last few weeks across several stretches of the Trent and it has shook me up to be honest. I'm stopping for the foreseeable, the fact i have seen them floating down and was fishing for them largely at the time tells me i perhaps should have stopped sooner, but decision made for me now.

Resting them correctly and seeing them swimming away well is the best you can do at the time, stopping is even better, but you only have to look at recent videos to see that no resting takes place in some cases and yes, they swim away, but never convinced they then don't go belly up afterwards.

Last edited:

SeanB

Site Supporter
Saw this on a Facebook site -

One of the anglers on there posted that the water temperature on the Derwent at Stamford Bridge was 19.2°c.