Stop fishing for barbel in the heatwave

Zerkalo

Site Supporter

This sounds like good advice, the Severn was like bathwater yesterday evening, and the Barbel did not fight too hard.

But have noticed that matches don't get cancelled and a lot of people will be on the bank anyway.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
3 years ago I fished the middle wye literally days before they closed it due to a heatwave and ironically the heatwave broke pretty much as soon as they closed it!

Robwooly

Last time there was a mega heatwave I fished the Severn a lot (for the roach) and it was great, lots of people heeded the advice not to fish although I did notice many anglers turn up just before nightfall to fish for barbel. Kind of counter productive given there's less oxygen at night but there you go.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A canoeist told me yesterday evening that he'd spoken to 20 anglers and not one Barbel had been caught.

I had planned to go back to Quatford in the evening a few times this week, there's more parking spaces than I thought, maybe room for 8 cars, and the Danery is just down the road for back up, but I'm going to give it a miss until next week I think when my dads BAA card arrives.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Last time there was a mega heatwave I fished the Severn a lot (for the roach) and it was great
I’ve found over the years that provided the waters not too slow, low and clear roach don’t seem to care about heat. In fact all my best roach fishing days have been pretty sweaty! Not crazy 30 degree plus days but certainly well into the 20s sometimes not far off 30.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Most of the match weights on the middle Severn even in the float only leagues are Chub and Barbel. Got to be lucky to catch a bag of Roach but they are a good stamp the fish that are about. That's why I prefer my Barbel hunting and why most anglers you see there are after Barbel.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most of the match weights on the middle Severn even in the float only leagues are Chub and Barbel. Got to be lucky to catch a bag of Roach but they are a good stamp the fish that are about.
They’re probably there but whilst 15-25lb of roach will win you most matches here where the only realistic big fish target is bream which are sporadic theres probably not much point trying to win a severn match with roach and dace when 30lb plus of barbel and chub is a common occurrence.

alsur

Site Supporter
They’re probably there but whilst 15-25lb of roach will win you most matches here where the only realistic big fish target is bream which are sporadic theres probably not much point trying to win a severn match with roach and dace when 30lb plus of barbel and chub is a common occurrence.
Certainly changed from when I fished Thames in Oxfordshire you needed Chub or Bream to win in many areas that even went for Medley I was top weight on Medley in one winter league and I had a mixed bag with a couple of Chub, the match was won with an all Chub catch from the Channel.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Shrewsbury Angling Club have just announced a ban on all fishing on their Severn stretches from 6am tomorrow.

Shrewsbury Town Fisheries announced a ban earlier today on fishing from 9am to 5pm on their normally dawn to dusk stretches of the Severn and Rea Brook from 6pm today.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Certainly changed from when I fished Thames in Oxfordshire you needed Chub or Bream to win in many areas that even went for Medley I was top weight on Medley in one winter league and I had a mixed bag with a couple of Chub, the match was won with an all Chub catch from the Channel.
Bream still win almost every June match then do so again come November but from July through til usually well into October roach seem to win the overwhelming majority. People do win the odd match in mid summer and early autumn with bream but it tends to one bloke landing on them and beating the rest of the field who are on the roach rather than them actually being bream matches with multiple people targeting them. Chub barely feature at all the odd person might get one or two. I think essentially once you’re past the first couple weeks of the season up until the extra water arrives you are far more likely to catch a load of roach for 15-25lb in most pegs than you are say 4-8 bream for the same weight so people tend to just target roach as it’s a safer bet of at least coming somewhere even if you don’t win.

Arch

Site Supporter
It's not so much fishing for them in this heat, it's recovering them properly. If the margins are shallow and the river level is low, the water in the margin may be quite warm. Also, if the Oxygen levels are low as well just resting them in the side might not be enough for them. They give their all and just resting them in the shallows may not be enough. You let them go and they swim off into the fast water and can't hold there own, go belly up and float off downstream. If you can recover them in some fast, well Oxygenated water, so much the better.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
There are still chub there, but it's not fished that much in the winter these days.
In the summer there are so many hungry mouths to feed that the chub don't often get a look in!!!
But yes - more chub in the channel than on the main river in general.

squimp

Site Supporter
There are still chub there, but it's not fished that much in the winter these days.
In the summer there are so many hungry mouths to feed that the chub don't often get a look in!!!
But yes - more chub in the channel than on the main river in general.
That is interesting.

When me and a few mates were targeting the Thames round Oxford looking for big chub, by far the most prolific stretch (and some of the biggest fish) was Medley. In those days we had a few reasonable (5lb+) fish from the channel - but nowhere near as many.

These days (last winter, around COVID restrictions) we are targeting barbel lower down the river and catching almost no chub at all (and few barbel!). Carp are taking over along with ridiculous numbers of bream.

If anybody has any pointers on areas to target for really big chub, I’m interested !

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Not sure a keepnet's a good idea either, in this weather.
it was written in (part) jest ... hence the winky.
Honestly - this is the normal Steve Pope "my favoured fish is more valuable than yours" b0***cks that we get every year when it's hot.
I'll stand by my conviction that a properly pegged out keepnet in oxygenated water does not cause problems.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
That is interesting.

When me and a few mates were targeting the Thames round Oxford looking for big chub, by far the most prolific stretch (and some of the biggest fish) was Medley. In those days we had a few reasonable (5lb+) fish from the channel - but nowhere near as many.

These days (last winter, around COVID restrictions) we are targeting barbel lower down the river and catching almost no chub at all (and few barbel!). Carp are taking over along with ridiculous numbers of bream.

If anybody has any pointers on areas to target for really big chub, I’m interested !
Hi squimp

I'm only going from match results - we're probably targetting smaller fish with different feeding habits!

SUFC

it was written in (part) jest ... hence the winky.
Honestly - this is the normal Steve Pope "my favoured fish is more valuable than yours" b0***cks that we get every year when it's hot.
I'll stand by my conviction that a properly pegged out keepnet in oxygenated water does not cause problems.
I missed the smiley so thanks for clarification.
I wonder if anyone's done any scientific studies on oxygenation levels in warm sunny weather...from some basic schoolbook biology, surely the water vegetation will be in greater photosynthesis, hence more oxygen, or am I missing the point?