stop a fish

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
Moot point as only an idiot will point the pole straight at the fish. I have done it when down to the topkit so the elstic has its whole length to work itself with no friction.
Not moot at all, when applied (as it was) to your incorrect interpretation of a angle increasing as it becomes more obtuse. By progressing your point a straight line of pole and elastic with no angle is a bigger angle than a 90 degree angle 🙄

I’m clearly not advocating pointing your pole directly at the fish, so don’t twist my words.

Richy the perch

Formerly TRFC2000
Site Supporter
No. If the pole is pointing out at 90 degrees to the bank and the fish swims away parallel to the bank then the pole and elastic will also form a 90 degree angle. Swing the pole towards the fish reducing the angle between pole and bank to 45 degrees the angle between pole and elastic will increase to around 135 degrees.
I have trouble catching perch now I need a bloody maths degree to fish seriously 🤣🤣🤣

Richy the perch

Formerly TRFC2000
Site Supporter
I feel your pain stikflote I broke my brand new MTX3 at alders farm section 3 & 4 but blamed the fish at the time if only I had a maths degree it may have never happened

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Technically the angle should be measured from the tip not the butt, ie the angle the tip is at when viewing it.

Looking from a clock face point of view....

In a straight line - zero degrees , its in a straight line
At 11 or 1 oclock = 30 degrees
At 10:30 or 1:30 = 45 degrees
At 10 or 2 o'clock = 60 degrees
At 9 or 3 o'clock = 90 degrees
Before 9 and after 3 = it's busted :D

Total

Site Supporter
Technically the angle should be measured from the tip not the butt, ie the angle the tip is at when viewing it.

Looking from a clock face point of view....

In a straight line - zero degrees , its in a straight line
At 11 or 1 oclock = 30 degrees
At 10:30 or 1:30 = 45 degrees
At 10 or 2 o'clock = 60 degrees
At 9 or 3 o'clock = 90 degrees
Before 9 and after 3 = it's busted :D
What about feeder rod breakages?...:oops::whistle:

Richy the perch

Formerly TRFC2000
Site Supporter
Bloody hell Dave just when I thought it was getting difficult with a maths degree I now have to learn to tell the time, balls to fishing I have no chance pass me the domino's at least I can count to six 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Moot point as only an idiot will point the pole straight at the fish. I have done it when down to the topkit so the elstic has its whole length to work itself with no friction.
Sorry Neil, but even then I want some sort of angle otherwise if the hook pulls or hooklength breaks you have a pole float coming straight at you at considerable speed. :(

HI,
I was out fishing today using a Middy G Pulse pole for first time its rated to 21 size elastic,
i had MAP Tks purple 16 18 elastic with Guru 6lb rig line straight through to a 14 animal hook.
I caught a few carp to about 8lb ,then i hit a big carp which shot off down the lake ,my pole started to bend i put pole under water

to try and turn the fish ,but it just kept going till Bang Pole topkit snapped,

Pole is new and elastic is new
Unfortunately some times that happens it could have been a foul hooked big fish if its set off like that. I've had a couple of top kits go on me over the years

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I'm not sure how a top kit can be broken if the pole and elastic are almost in line. Poles are not meant to be used like rods, and set at a 90 degree angle to a running fish. stikflote said he was trying to turn the fish - I think that is when the problem occured - though a big carp foulhooked always needs a lot of luck to land. Looks like something was going to break anyway!

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I had this happen on my old Garbolino Spyder, with a light elastic and hooklength. Carbon top kits are remarkably brittle if the pole is held too high and the wrong angle, and can be weaker than a bottomed out elastic and a light hooklength if you bend into a fish too much. Something I learned when I hooked a very large carp when targeting small silvers. I was desperate to stop it charging through neighbouring pegs and being inexperienced on the pole, applied side strain like I would with a rod. CRACK!!! When the pole is at the right angle when playing the fish, then the carbon is incredibly strong, and the hooklength will be the weak link.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I had this happen on my old Garbolino Spyder, with a light elastic and hooklength. Carbon top kits are remarkably brittle if the pole is held too high and the wrong angle, and can be weaker than a bottomed out elastic and a light hooklength if you bend into a fish too much. Something I learned when I hooked a very large carp when targeting small silvers. I was desperate to stop it charging through neighbouring pegs and being inexperienced on the pole, applied side strain like I would with a rod. CRACK!!! When the pole is at the right angle when playing the fish, then the carbon is incredibly strong, and the hooklength will be the weak link.
By the right angle, I meant the correct angle, not a right angle, which would be the wrong angle. I think all these angles are getting to me. Time for bed.

Corn Master

I have no faith whatsoever in Middy top kits, I've had three or four of the GIS26 top kits just snap with elastics from a 10 hollow to 18 hollow with no more than 15 degrees between the rig line and the top kit.
Crikey. I have fished with Middy poles since 2012 and caught literally 1000's of big carp and never once broke a kit

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Crikey. I have fished with Middy poles since 2012 and caught literally 1000's of big carp and never once broke a kit
I had the XZ65-2 last year , good strong stiff pole , for some reason I couldn't get on with it , preferring Daiwa G50 I had ,
I think if I hadnt been that used to using the Daiwa I would have stuck with the Middy . I would recommend one of these to anyone wanting a good pole at a decent price . Even though I sold mine .

Corn Master

I've had the original XK-55, XZ-65, XM10, XT-15, XK-55-2 and the XK55-3. Fished with every grade of elastic and never once broke a kit. Seen plenty of others do so. Mainly holding top kit upright slightly behind their heads...snap

"How did that happen" 😳 😂

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
A bloke in the group I fish matches with when I go up to the north west ,broke a top kit at Hampton Springs , He hit into something down the edge , he reckons it was a barbel , it hugged the bottom after a short run , instead of easing the pressure off to see if it would move .He decided to try and lift its head up . Topkit goes up in the air ,elastic bottoms out , snap , his topkit is now looking like a swing tip . And to top it off the fish made a dash for freedom after and snapped his hooklength .

Steve57

Site Supporter
Mine is an XK-55, I don't have a problem with the pole itself just the top kits. It's always the no. 3 part of the top kit that breaks. I'm not a match fisherman so I'm not in any rush and never attempt to bully a fish. I keep the pole as close to being inline with the elastic as is safe to do (to stop the top kit being pulled off).

Maybe my mistake is shipping back to break down to the top kit too early, I don't know. I then dip the top of the top kit in the water until the fish swims back to me, lift the tip and repeat as necessary until I can net the fish. Please advise if I'm doing it wrong, I'll take any help if it helps to stop the top kits from breaking. I know at times these things just happen, but for it happen to at least 3 top kits it's either my method or the kits are too fragile.

Thanks.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's basically how I do it. How sharp are you lifting the tip to net the fish?
If you are whipping the tip up to lock the elastic, or using a puller and have pulled too much elastic, then it might be putting too much pressure on the point where you are holding.