Stonfo Hook Tyer

Gaz-J

Hi guys, I have recently bought a stonfo Hook Tyer for tying spade end hooks. It is a great piece of kit with the whippings on the hook been really neat however, each time I tie a hook the line seems to kink about 2 inches above the spade! I have moistened the knot before pulling tight, tried tying the whippings with less pressure but it still seems to be happening and it's driving me mad. I tried a matchman to see if it was the Hook Tyer but I had exactly the same issue with that one so it must be something I am doing wrong! Can anyone help?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What line are you using as some are more prone to kinking than others?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
When whipping, don't make the whipping too tight, or it will kink. It's a common mistake we all make.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well that rules that out then as I've never had a problem with the Preston lines

Gaz-J

When whipping, don't make the whipping too tight, or it will kink. It's a common mistake we all make.
I have tried this mate but still getting the same result
I have tried this mate but still getting the same result. I have always tied my own hook lengths by using a hook tyer without any problems so no idea why this had started happening recently

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I swapped from the Stonfo to the Matchman hook tyer, I found that better. Cheaper too. Are you using the small or large stonfo? If you are using the large one on smaller hooks, pigtails do happen.

Large is on the top...

1581263725433.png

Gaz-J

I swapped from the Stonfo to the Matchman hook tyer, I found that better. Cheaper too. Are you using the small or large stonfo? If you are using the large one on smaller hooks, pigtails do happen.
Small one on size 16 hooks

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Then you are whipping on too tight, or pulling too tight when finishing the whipping. Try with a different line.

Gaz-J

Then you are whipping on too tight, or pulling too tight when finishing the whipping. Try with a different line.
o
Do you pull the line away from the tyer when finishing the whipping? It said so on the instructions?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I finished the whipping then pull to tighten, but not too hard as to over tighten, with the line in line with the hook shank, I then slowly slacken the wheel while pulling gently. Once released, pull the hook length and the tag end in opposite directions with the hook line in line with the shank and it should tighten fully with no kinks.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Same for me depending on the size of the hook/shank. I use a matchman tyer with no problem. Couldn't do it with hands as never tried!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Strangely I always tie from bend to spade using a Matchman and have never had any problem with kinks. I always use around 10 turns even with 0.06 Reflo.

A kink would suggest something is too tight and as this kink ends up two inches above the hook I have to assume it is where the line bends round a pin or where you start whipping the line round the hook shank. I assume the Stonfo is similar to the Matchman and that you bend the line round a pin before taking it back up to the hook before twisting the tyer. Could you be twisting the tyer the wrong way? i.e. clockwise/anticlockwise.

Gaz-J

As far as I am aware I am doing it clockwise as per the instructions but will try tying it from shank to spade thanks

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Is the line coming off the front of the spade. If it comes off the back, when you first pull it to tighten, you may be catching the line on the sharp edge of the spade and kinking it.