Stonfo Dosapiombo Pole float shotter

rudd

Site Supporter
I find them pointless.
To many variables involved trying to get rigs totally accurate at home.
Line dia, length of line, silicon, skim, water temp - grease on tip/bristle.
Make mine - almost there, then finish on bank.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I don't get what they are for? You work out how many shot you need then test in a float tube?
It seems pointless to me and if you are making/replacing a few rigs every week , you sort of know what floats take what shot without them even seeing water.

rudd

Site Supporter
Starting from scratch mate.if i'm wrong so be it
😉 you wont be far out but may overshot a few which can be a problem as getting small shot off can be a pig.
Mind you, some brands ping off on their own accord! 😬
My preference is slightly undershotted.

Nicky Dodds

Just quicker for me .on a group of 5 same floats.if using shot .and not wanting to move them.
Quick test of shot then position shot where i want them.
Not all identical floats take the same amount of shot and not all shot weigh the same. There can be vast differences so the best you'll get is almost.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I have a couple of the original ones I probably bought in the nineties. As others have already said I didn't find them particularly accurate so they were very quickly consigned to the "great in theory, not so good in practice" box of doom in the garage. Styls always seemed to have an air bubble on them and I used to manage to lose one or two taking it out of the water :confused:

I find it easier to use a tall container (with a drop of washing up liquid added to break the surface tension), dropping the float in it on the end of the spool of line with the shot etc all bunched together immediately below the float. I adjust the loading as necessary, slide the float and shot etc into position up the line, cut off the damaged bottom foot or so, tie a loop, job done 🤷‍♂️*

*I may have infringed Chefster's copyright by using this symbol, apologies if that is the case :ROFLMAO:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Not all identical floats take the same amount of shot and not all shot weigh the same. There can be vast differences so the best you'll get is almost.
Almost is what i like and add a trimmer or 2 at the venue . I have loads of floats made up and when i get a similar i just copy the amount of shot needed leaving the trimmers of . If shotting a float for up in the water il add the hook length and a banded pellet soaked .

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I still do my shotting on the bank as needed :)
Id drop more shot than id use lol. Jamie Hughes has a mouthful of shot ,and hes quick at shotting ,not for me though ,im to slow

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
£2000.......I haven't taught you everything....Far too dangerous in your case!:oops:;):ROFLMAO:
One minute past eleven. Shouldn’t you have been tucked up with your Horlicks at that time ? I’ll be having words with Matron.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Why not simply use a Dosapiomblo to shot to the bottom of the bristle and then when you’re on the bank place trimming shots on to get the right bristle height ?

I know what I mean. 🤪🤪

IanG1

Site Supporter
tiny bit of washing up liquid in your shotting tube water makes these even more accurate I have found. Sometimes the surface tension in a narrow tube can make a no.10 shot difference compared to on the bank

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
found them useless, i have a 60cm high 16cm dia glass vase that i use for rough shotting at home then add trimmers on the bank, i dont know how people have enough time to shot rigs on the bank, tried it twice and twice i ran out of time so always shot to the base of the bristle at home and final trim shot on the bank

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Why not simply use a Dosapiomblo to shot to the bottom of the bristle and then when you’re on the bank place trimming shots on to get the right bristle height ?

I know what I mean. 🤪🤪
Why do that when you could shot up with say 4 x no8's as a bulk and then fine tune on the bank ;)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Why do that when you could shot up with say 4 x no8's as a bulk and then fine tune on the bank ;)
It’s been said that some on here are clumsy Dave. Maybe best putting most of the shot on their rig at home. Especially in winter. My advice would be to buy a separate hoover though. As I’ve had many a Bol###ngs for number 8’s and 10’s pinging about in the family hoover. 🤣🤣

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
As has been said , we have shotting calculators , work out your shotting patterns and do at home and fine tune it on the bank, if you buy a set of say , 4x12 floats, they’re all going to shot up the same roughly, there is absolutely no need to even put them in water to make a rig at home 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️And absolutely no need to overthink the situation

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
found them useless, i have a 60cm high 16cm dia glass vase that i use for rough shotting at home then add trimmers on the bank, i dont know how people have enough time to shot rigs on the bank, tried it twice and twice i ran out of time so always shot to the base of the bristle at home and final trim shot on the bank
Exactly mate. 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
As has been said , we have shotting calculators , work out your shotting patterns and do at home and fine tune it on the bank, if you buy a set of say , 4x12 floats, they’re all going to shot up the same roughly, there is absolutely no need to even put them in water to make a rig at home 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️And absolutely no need to overthink the situation
But we like to overthink the situation Gazza. 🤣🤣. If we didn’t they’d be no forum. 🤣🤣👍

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
But we like to overthink the situation Gazza. 🤣🤣. If we didn’t they’d be no forum. 🤣🤣👍
I never hardly put my floats in water to test them, unless they are new to me, then I only test one ...they’ll all be the same main shotting pattern , only trimmers will vary , and I do that on the bank anyway 🤷‍♂️, don’t see the need for shotting tubes/ dosapiombos etc