Stolen from Oaks Fishery

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Andrew Reagan has just had his car window smashed at the Oaks. They have taken his rod bag with Gmax 1000 pole, 20 top kits, Airty landing net handle, x4 Gmax bomb rods, TDR reel, Gmax pellet waggler rod, Diawa whisker reel, Shimano 2000 bait runner, all in a Preston monster hold-all.

lp1886

Site Supporter
Absolute scum!! But I’ll say it again, when will people learn to keep their eyes on their tackle. If it was a £5k bundle of cash would they leave it unattended?!

Jonb

Site Supporter
Absolute scum!! But I’ll say it again, when will people learn to keep their eyes on their tackle. If it was a £5k bundle of cash would they leave it unattended?!

Unfortunately it's not always possible to keep an eye on it for the duration, it's not practical to take it all with you to the draw or for breakfast!!

Stretch1066

Life member
Site Supporter
It's about time the commercial fisheries provided security during draw times. I remember years ago there was an issue at one of the draw venues on the Bridgewater canal in Manchester, every one got together and put money together just to have a security guy watch over all the cars, the stealing soon stopped.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Until someone grows a set and gets tougher on crime we are always going to have these scumbags in society. For goodness sake, when are we going to do something about #### like this ?

In the past we have tried hanging for what we would now consider petty crime. We also transported loads of criminals to foreign lands. Today our prisons are overcrowded. Yet crime still happened and continues to happen. I have no idea what the solution is. But getting "tough on crime" does not seem to have provided an effective answer.

lp1886

Site Supporter
Unfortunately it's not always possible to keep an eye on it for the duration, it's not practical to take it all with you to the draw or for breakfast!!
I appreciate that as I’m a matchman myself. But I would never put a breakfast above looking after my kit. And I’ve never understood why the draw doesn’t take place in the car park if it’s only a small match.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
In the past we have tried hanging for what we would now consider petty crime. We also transported loads of criminals to foreign lands. Today our prisons are overcrowded. Yet crime still happened and continues to happen. I have no idea what the solution is. But getting "tough on crime" does not seem to have provided an effective answer.

Neil, I'm afraid that "Tough on crime & tough on the causes of crime" is a fallacy, Between underfunded/understaffed police, the CPS (Criminal Protection Service) and a Judiciary system that seems hell bent on lenient sentencing in an effort to keep criminals out of inadequate/understaffed jails there has probably never been a better time to be a thieving scrote with less chance of being caught let alone punished for their actions.

Time for a total review/overhaul of the whole system if it's not to late already.

Dusty

I appreciate that as I’m a matchman myself. But I would never put a breakfast above looking after my kit. And I’ve never understood why the draw doesn’t take place in the car park if it’s only a small match.

Exactly this, I never leave my gear in the car unsupervised for any length of time.

Dusty

It's about time the commercial fisheries provided security during draw times. I remember years ago there was an issue at one of the draw venues on the Bridgewater canal in Manchester, every one got together and put money together just to have a security guy watch over all the cars, the stealing soon stopped.

The fisheries themselves shouldn’t be made responsible for ensuring you don’t leave gear in your car.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
there is always the question of "Duty of care" by the fishery to consider

now when you purchase a day ticket, this applies as it does to any other public activity

does that "Duty of Care" cover the security of car parks, as they are on private land attached to the fishery

you wouldnt go to the fishery if it did not provide car parking, so it would be reasonable to expect that car parking to be secure, either by having an attendant or being covered by camera and a fixed entrance gate

you should not expect that the car park could be accessed by any non ticket purchasing member of the public, as Im sure the parking facilities have been factored in at the cost of a day ticket

theres half a dozen locallish fisheries here that you cannot gain access to the car parks around the venue before buying a ticket, as you are issued a token or the shop staff operate a switch to lift the bar across the access road after you have bought your ticket

Dusty

there is always the question of "Duty of care" by the fishery to consider

now when you purchase a day ticket, this applies as it does to any other public activity

does that "Duty of Care" cover the security of car parks, as they are on private land attached to the fishery

you wouldnt go to the fishery if it did not provide car parking, so it would be reasonable to expect that car parking to be secure, either by having an attendant or being covered by camera and a fixed entrance gate

you should not expect that the car park could be accessed by any non ticket purchasing member of the public, as Im sure the parking facilities have been factored in at the cost of a day ticket

theres half a dozen locallish fisheries here that you cannot gain access to the car parks around the venue before buying a ticket, as you are issued a token or the shop staff operate a switch to lift the bar across the access road after you have bought your ticket

If you go to a supermarket and leave your goods on display you can’t blame the supermarket for having inadequate security.

As harsh as it sounds anglers need to start taking more responsibility for their kit and use a bit of common sense.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Knowing nothing about match fishing, couldn't they just stagger the draw. Surname A-M go in first and draw and return to cars, then the rest go in to draw.?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Yet another victim. And one of the reasons our club waters have parking at each peg.

Oldmech

Site Supporter
What amazes me is that the car park would be busy and lots of people about at that time of day but nobody ever sees a thing, these thieves are very clever picking their moment and it begs the question have most matches got predators waiting to pounce if the opportunity arrives? Worrying thought.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
With Sessay if you can’t park on the main car park then you are left with the main track opposite the high numbers on Maple.
Or parking up the side of Maple and Alders which are mainly out of sight of the cafe main car parking area. I think there is CCTV but it doesn’t cover those particular areas

Banded_Nipple

What amazes me is that the car park would be busy and lots of people about at that time of day but nobody ever sees a thing, these thieves are very clever picking their moment and it begs the question have most matches got predators waiting to pounce if the opportunity arrives? Worrying thought.

That's the thing, it's fishing gear being taken out of a vehicle at a fishery, it's to be expected. You don't think twice about it, unless it was your mates car and your mate wasn't the one taking stuff out.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
4 cars done on one of our club meetings in Ongar last weekend... and 2 more a day or two later.... tackle and tools taken, car windows smashed and doors levered open.
Some lowlife dratsab need shooting inna face ASAP

lp1886

Site Supporter
Maybe the thief blends in and is a recognised face. What amazes me is when tackle is stolen and the list of items publicised, it’s never a £30 reel, £50 rod or £500 pole. It’s always flagship stuff, which suggests to me the victim is marked well before the actual crime.